Rep Changes

If I could I'd downvote you for subtle yet obvious trolling.

Without wishing to take this thread off topic, and I apologise for this, but I think this demonstrates why the feature should remain MVCs and Staff only. It's clearly well though-out decision not to allow members, or even subscribers to downvote.

(Y)

• Like 3

If I could I'd downvote you for subtle yet obvious trolling.

and had I any more points left today id + you for that. Isnt this a fun game

Wait, rep is supposed to mean something? :p

I'm just kidding, I can see how it has it uses. It's just that I rarely - if ever - look at it. I judge a post by it's contents, and I generally read every response in a thread. From this I've decided who are the decent posters and who I should ignore. Some of them do seem to try and push my buttons, though, mentioning no names of course.

At least reset all reputation to zero.

P.S. I'm a member of one of those forums with negative reputation activated and EVERYBODY has a red stripe under their profile photo with -100, 'cause haters are everywhere (and multiple accounts also). This is a step back for Neowin in my opinion. Also, there'll be a lot of Christians vs Muslims +/- fights and I don't predict anything positive coming in the near future for Neowin members - only hate, keyboard fighting and on-line revenge. We already have the User Rating in profiles! This is useless and it'll fail, but before failing it'll oppose many people against their buddies, 'cause it's also anonymous. Just wait and see.

May as well say it here too...

Give the members the ability to DownVote MVC's and Staffers then...

There are certainly a couple undeserving MVC's that should not have such a voice here, and should not be exempt from the rest of us.

This whole rep thing is pointless. Honestly, we were just fine before it. We don't need to emulate other sites in order to be great. While it might encourage some positive contributions, the same effect can be attained via a simple subscription giveaway.

OK, enough!

I am removing all the member-gender discussion. The witch hunt is over, and I am going to start cleaning this thread up now.

Any further pursuit of member harassment based on perceived or claimed gender will result in a warn.

It's ok to discuss off-topic as long as you use off-topic tag :rainbow:

[offtopic]:hug_guy: :hug_girl:[/offtopic]

Edit : opps not working here

Personally, I have no problem with the negative rep system in itself, however, I think there should be more + votes for useful posts from these same members

Some of you guys are missing the point as to why staff are doing this.

We aren't doing it to make sure anyone we don't like doesn't get a high rep.

We are doing this because the repuation system currently isn't about quality or helpfullness... its a popularity club. Or a place for trolls to rep other troll posts. If you look at some of the highest repped members you'll see what we mean.

The system we have implemented will attempt to crub these troll reps, hence why staff and mvc's only have access to it.

• Like 4

So, staff are going to waste time countering troll reps that nobody cares about?

Productive.

Considering its a feature that some members find helpful, yes, we'll "waste" a few seconds to make sure the reps don't get out of hand.

Considering its a feature that some members find helpful, yes, we'll "waste" a few seconds to make sure the reps don't get out of hand.

Cool, so can you explain to me again how its 'helpful' and you yourself say the word 'some' so getting back to NeptuneSak's point, youre going to spend youre time countering trolls because a minitority (by definition of some) find a largely useless feature beneficial? yep...productive indeed.

There must be a purpose and future plan for what to use the rep or "karma" system for or this is a pointless as the candy option on member polls

Cool, so can you explain to me again how its 'helpful' and you yourself say the word 'some' so getting back to NeptuneSak's point, youre going to spend youre time countering trolls because a minitority (by definition of some) find a largely useless feature beneficial? yep...productive indeed.

There must be a purpose and future plan for what to use the rep or "karma" system for or this is a pointless as the candy option on member polls

Way to go on picking apart my post/putting words in my mouth. I say "some", because I haven't heard every single person come up to me and say so. However the fact that "some" members have approached us with these concerns, as well as staff, allowed us to discuss and implement these changes.

An "excellent" rep raiting is helpful in a perfect world, as a member sees this rep, and will consider them a vaulable member of the community, except it's not a perfect world. As stated before the rep system is currently flawed. Trolls typically have the highest raitings. We are trying to make the rep system usefull, not just "eye candy".

people learn things in different ways, can you try explaining with pictures or puppets maybe?

Look at brentaal's reputation.

Look at his post history.

Check which of his posts were upvoted.

Realise why the reputation system changes were made.

here's my suggestion from the other thread:

You could always take off 20 rep points (or even more, depending on the offense) for every warning a member gets. That would be far more efficient, and doesn't give a negative environment to the forums.

Way to go on picking apart my post/putting words in my mouth. I say "some", because I haven't heard every single person come up to me and say so. However the fact that "some" members have approached us with these concerns, as well as staff, allowed us to discuss and implement these changes.

An "excellent" rep raiting is helpful in a perfect world, as a member sees this rep, and will consider them a vaulable member of the community, except it's not a perfect world. As stated before the rep system is currently flawed. Trolls typically have the highest raitings. We are trying to make the rep system usefull, not just "eye candy".

Now, I visit quite a few forums with the newly implemented + - feature and none of those places it represents the quality of the poster, everywhere it's a popularity contest because that's just human nature apparently. So

how the community treat the rep system, whether they want to use it as a quality assurance measurement ( fat chance ) or just give props to friends and strangers who says something you laughed at, found funny, agree with etc.

it's still our choice how we decide to use it? From these explanations it just sounds like you guys aren't satisfied with human nature and want to create a harmonious little ecosystem that needs to be babied and breast fed every 3 minute to work?

Isn't it completely up to the overall community to decide how they want to credit each other based on some completely meaningless reputation system?