Gulf Oil Leak Appears to be Stopped

Exactly. Apparently with all of these guys logic, I could walk around with the swastika and call myself something else

And by your logic America is still British.

It's BPs mess however.

40% owned by America, and 40% owned by UK. No idea who owns the other %. And, no. BP now doesn't stand for anything. It is just BP.

You carry on believing that (Y)

Did I state the 40% was the majority? No. I simply informed you that America owned 40% of BP.

AGAIN, BP does NOT stand for anything now. Not since they legally CHANGED THEIR NAME to BP.

Enron legally changed their name to Happy Fun Time Investments. So its all good as well.....

Exactly. Apparently with all of these guys logic, I could walk around with the swastika and call myself something else, all the while doing the exact same thing that made it the symbol it is today...... Get real. They are British Petroleum. They started with that name, they have kept the initials and symbol, so they haven't changed much. When they decided to be known by a "tagline" of Beyond Petroleum, they may have duped some, but those with a brain will know who they really , originally still are. The share holders have not changed, but they have brought in more. Let's not bicker of such trivial and stupid crap.
What kind of analogy is that? Swastika was originally a symbol of peace.

What kind of analogy is that? Swastika was originally a symbol of peace.

apparently your reading stopped at swastika and did not go further into me saying, " the actions that have made the symbol what it is today."

If neowin just started going by NW, there would still be plenty of us who would continue to call it NeoWin. Hard to understand it?

Enron legally changed their name to Happy Fun Time Investments. So its all good as well.....

Except when Enron perpetrated their crimes they were still known as Enron.

Personally rather than bickering about the name or whatnot i think the real question is why was a rig like this even needed, be it by BP, Transocean or Haliburton. Maybe if the good ol US of A didn`t consume such vast amounts of the sticky black stuff (most of which is imported) and moved to other more sustainable energy sources, the need to drill in places which are extreme to say the least would never had entered the equation.

There have been a lot of mistakes made, not just by BP, the world needs to take note so something like this can never happen again.

Iv`e a friend just come back from America and by all accounts the various news networks have a certain agenda :rolleyes:

Except when Enron perpetrated their crimes they were still known as Enron.

I hear a plane flying over your head....

Personally rather than bickering about the name or whatnot i think the real question is why was a rig like this even needed, be it by BP, Transocean or Haliburton. Maybe if the good ol US of A didn`t consume such vast amounts of the sticky black stuff (most of which is imported) and moved to other more sustainable energy sources, the need to drill in places which are extreme to say the least would never had entered the equation.

There have been a lot of mistakes made, not just by BP, the world needs to take note so something like this can never happen again.

Iv`e a friend just come back from America and by all accounts the various news networks have a certain agenda :rolleyes:

We need to get off the oil nip and find alternative energy resources. There needs to be more of a push towards not using oil and gas. Until that day, we will never get rid of oil and our hunger to get it.

Wow I love the respect us Brits are getting now.

When BP merged with Amoco (very large American oil company) in 1998 it was the worlds largest industrial merger. Now suddenly all that American bit has become British. Go Britain! The Jack files high and the empire begins to expand again.

Of course no American oil firm has ever or will ever spill oil on another country :whistle:

It is a global company with shareholders all around the world, there is no majority in Britain, no majority in the US no major anywhere. What we don't like is when people (such as Obarma) call it British Petroleum and insinuate that the disaster is Britain's fault when it clearly is not.

We need to get off the oil nip and find alternative energy resources. There needs to be more of a push towards not using oil and gas. Until that day, we will never get rid of oil and our hunger to get it.

:yes: The sooner the better.

I hear a plane flying over your head....

Are you sure you're not hearing the one flying over your head?

The fact of the matter is BP is legally called BP. Not British Petroleum, and not the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, as it was when it was founded. Why don't you understand that?

Let's make it clear. BP is now BP p.l.c., but the name was derived from British Petroleum. They're used to be called BP, and they're not British Petroleum anymore. BP is owned 40% by UK, 39% by US, 10% EU, and the rest by the rest of the world. It's still a majority UK multi-national, as it's majority is owned by the UK with headquarter in the UK, but don't call it British Petroleum because some people get really irritated.

Let's continue the discussion about whether the spill has stopped or not please.

Are you sure you're not hearing the one flying over your head?

The fact of the matter is BP is legally called BP. Not British Petroleum, and not the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, as it was when it was founded. Why don't you understand that?

That REBRANDING is a marketing dodge which works best with teenagers or Alzheimer suffers...because the rest of us will always remember:

BP as British Petroleum,

KFC as Kentucky Fried Chicken,

Freedom fries as French Fries

Altria as Phillip Morris

ExxonMobile as Exxon

And an unintelligible symbol for "the artist formerly known as Prince" as Prince.

Lastly, you will recall the EXXON Valdez?

Well since ExxonMobil has survived to become the BIGGEST oil company and the Exxon moniker still exists with nary a raised eyebrow after the Valdez disaster, it would seem to indicate that we have short attention spans, limited powers of recall, and an ongoing unquenchable thirst for oil which trumps most all other considerations.

All of which will make this spill old news and ancient history before BP is even found guilty, penalised with billions of dollars in punitive damages , appeals for years and years before settling with mere multi-million dollar damages.

And if there was an American based Oil Company, with the initials AP, and they legally changed their name in the same fashion, but had caused a spill just off of one of britians coastal lines, you say yall wouldn't still call it American Petroleum? Let's look at this with open minds, and not blind patriotic whatever over a oil company who is actually screwing everyone over lol.

:yes: much better than the :argue:

The sooner the world gets it`s head round the fact that oil and gas is a finite resource the better!

Let's make it clear. BP is now BP p.l.c., but the name was derived from British Petroleum. They're used to be called BP, and they're not British Petroleum anymore. BP is owned 40% by UK, 39% by US, 10% EU, and the rest by the rest of the world. It's still a majority UK multi-national, as it's majority is owned by the UK with headquarter in the UK, but don't call it British Petroleum because some people get really irritated.

Let's continue the discussion about whether the spill has stopped or not please.

They put the plc to try and make their company seem more "worldly" as they have expanded. There main office is still in Europe, and the majority of stocks owned are over seas and not in america. Changing a name only works on those who will forget and forgive.

:yes: much better than the :argue:

The sooner the world gets it`s head round the fact that oil and gas is a finite resource the better!

I have a friend who actually makes cars that run off of electricity and hydrogen. They are pretty clean, and his business has started to actually pick up finally. Well, he doesn't make the whole car, he just modifies cars to run off of them instead of gas.

They put the plc to try and make their company seem more "worldly" as they have expanded. There main office is still in Europe, and the majority of stocks owned are over seas and not in america. Changing a name only works on those who will forget and forgive.

So why arent you calling it the Anglo-Persian Oil Company as that was its original name, big disaster in america and all of a sudden its something british?

So why arent you calling it the Anglo-Persian Oil Company as that was its original name, big disaster in america and all of a sudden its something british?

I'm sorry with your smart ass comments, but where is the Anglo Persion Oil Company initials in their name? If they were AP-BP or whatever, I sure as hell would. But their logo and name are BP, which stands for British Petroleum.

Anglo-Persian Oil Company was started and ended basically before any type of advertising and marketing to consumers had started. BP- British Petroleum, is the name they marketed around the world.

and it is not something british, gosh, get it around your british patriotic minds! the company is called BP, british petroleum. No one has anger at anything britian, but only at BP. We call it by their real full name as a way of pointing fingers and directly signaling who it is. Those of you in britian getting all bent out of shape because we are using the name they started their company with, need to let some **** go, cause they wouldn't defend anything of yours this much lol.

*facepalm*

plc means Public Limited Company - i.e. a company that sells shares on a stock exchange.

It's not like they changed their name after this incident, it was changed years ago.

The majority of shares are held outside of the UK - BP are a multinational, which is one of the reasons why they changed their name.

Drop the anti-british sentiment and realise what you want them to be called doesn't matter. They are called BP, and nothing else. Get over it.

I bet the USA for currently kicking themselves for not getting those Oil skimmers off the Dutch.

Skimmers don't really do anything when so much dispersant has been poured into the ocean.

Check out this TED talk from TEDxOilSpill, it's pretty enlightening:

God you desperate to make out they are British.

You do know about the BP/Amoco merger right?

You're not just talking nonsense are you?

You do know that before it was BP but after it was British Petroleum and after the largest industrial merger ever it was BP Amoco plc right?

That is is 40% American owned.

Doesn't sound that British to me.

*facepalm*

plc means Public Limited Company - i.e. a company that sells shares on a stock exchange.

It's not like they changed their name after this incident, it was changed years ago.

The majority of shares are held outside of the UK - BP are a multinational, which is one of the reasons why they changed their name.

Drop the anti-british sentiment and realise what you want them to be called doesn't matter. They are called BP, and nothing else. Get over it.

Skimmers don't really do anything when so much dispersant has been poured into the ocean.

Check out this TED talk from TEDxOilSpill, it's pretty enlightening:

total face palm to you not knowing about business.

BP is owned 40% by UK, 39% by US, 10% EU, and the rest by the rest of the world.

This.

I'm sorry with your smart ass comments, but where is the Anglo Persion Oil Company initials in their name? If they were AP-BP or whatever, I sure as hell would. But their logo and name are BP, which stands for British Petroleum.

Anglo-Persian Oil Company was started and ended basically before any type of advertising and marketing to consumers had started. BP- British Petroleum, is the name they marketed around the world.

and it is not something british, gosh, get it around your british patriotic minds! the company is called BP, british petroleum. No one has anger at anything britian, but only at BP. We call it by their real full name as a way of pointing fingers and directly signaling who it is. Those of you in britian getting all bent out of shape because we are using the name they started their company with, need to let some **** go, cause they wouldn't defend anything of yours this much lol.

So the Anglo-Person Oil Company ended when they changed their name but British Petroleum didnt?

Of course we are being patriotic, continuing to call it British Petroleum when it merged with an American company and changed its name wether its called BP or FQ has negative connotations against the British. If it were the other way round you Americans would be screaming bloody murder defending your land of the free.

total face palm to you not knowing about business.

Whatnow? How does my post equate to "not knowing about business"?