Gulf Oil Leak Appears to be Stopped

Better late than never. Now let's get the rest of the crap cleaned up and fire those responsible for this mess to begin with. With a few quick swipes of high executives, I think we could turn BP into a whole new company. Well, here's hoping anyway.

I'm sorry with your smart ass comments, but where is the Anglo Persion Oil Company initials in their name? If they were AP-BP or whatever, I sure as hell would. But their logo and name are BP, which stands for British Petroleum.

Anglo-Persian Oil Company was started and ended basically before any type of advertising and marketing to consumers had started. BP- British Petroleum, is the name they marketed around the world.

and it is not something british, gosh, get it around your british patriotic minds! the company is called BP, british petroleum. No one has anger at anything britian, but only at BP. We call it by their real full name as a way of pointing fingers and directly signaling who it is. Those of you in britian getting all bent out of shape because we are using the name they started their company with, need to let some **** go, cause they wouldn't defend anything of yours this much lol.

You really haven't a clue, do you? Cherry-picking certain facts and dressing up others just makes you look less credible by the post. Give it up, you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Can`t people see the fact that the company is called BP, which you could quite easily refer to as British Petroleum. The fact is it`s a multi-national oil company and most oil companies have only one agenda. To make as much money as possible.

What if it was Shell or Royal Dutch Shell, which is a similar company. Just because the word Dutch figured somewhere does not mean this problem was of a Dutch making.

The failures where made not just by BP but also by Transocean, Cameron International Corporation and Haliburton.

Just to think none of this would have happened if the BOP had worked as it should, maybe the fact that there wasn`t multiple sufficiently tested safety measures in place when drilling at such depths or that a spill could cause such devastation, maybe the drilling of said well shouldn`t have been allowed in the first place.

live oil cam - there is still oil coming out -> http://interactive.foxnews.com/livestream/live.html?chanId=2

I think they said there would be on and off for a while whilst they perform various tests around flow control and pressure containment.

If I remember rightly they are running the tests as if the new cap can't handle the pressure and flow then the potential consequences are more serious than the previous situation.

Of course no American oil firm has ever or will ever spill oil on another country :whistle:
*cough*1996*cough*
I bet the USA for currently kicking themselves for not getting those Oil skimmers off the Dutch.
There's a joke about slipping over on oil, when going to kick yourself :rofl:

That REBRANDING is a marketing dodge which works best with teenagers or Alzheimer suffers...because the rest of us will always remember:

BP as British Petroleum,

KFC as Kentucky Fried Chicken,

Freedom fries as French Fries

Altria as Phillip Morris

ExxonMobile as Exxon

And an unintelligible symbol for "the artist formerly known as Prince" as Prince.

Lastly, you will recall the EXXON Valdez?

Well since ExxonMobil has survived to become the BIGGEST oil company and the Exxon moniker still exists with nary a raised eyebrow after the Valdez disaster, it would seem to indicate that we have short attention spans, limited powers of recall, and an ongoing unquenchable thirst for oil which trumps most all other considerations.

All of which will make this spill old news and ancient history before BP is even found guilty, penalised with billions of dollars in punitive damages , appeals for years and years before settling with mere multi-million dollar damages.

And if there was an American based Oil Company, with the initials AP, and they legally changed their name in the same fashion, but had caused a spill just off of one of britians coastal lines, you say yall wouldn't still call it American Petroleum? Let's look at this with open minds, and not blind patriotic whatever over a oil company who is actually screwing everyone over lol.

best post in this thread. pretty much sums up my thoughts on both the subject and the direction of this thread.

aol is still america online. etc so on and so forth right down to BP being british patroleum. simply because coca cola changes the name on the can to coke doesn't stop me from calling it coca cola. and yes iirc that has happened and been reversed more than once. brands have little to do with legalities and current marketing schemes. and everything to do with collective conciseness and cultural memory.

now let's get it straight here, they're a ameri-british company primarily. iirc their head oiffices are in the UK, which says something about it's roots, and it's operations. now iirc the workers on the rig, up to and including the on site managers and such and everyone responsible for maintaining the safety procedures and equipment(that failed here catastrophically in a way which they were designed to prevent) were americans.

overall imho, BP is going above and beyond what is legally necessary for them to do in this case. they could pay the 75$ million liabiilty and continue doing business as usual for the most part and leave everything else up to the US government, who is also imho liable as they authorize and profit from every single well produced in teh US, if not in royalties from land lease and such then in direct benefit to the oil starved US economy, of which OIL is is the backbone.

one year's profit over what was it 2 years or something like that and no divdends for investors is a huge undertaking for any company. which i snot to say that oil is not an incredibly profitable business for BP or other oil comapnies. but seriously, companies are built to be profit driven.

now it's easy to blame BP for this. but seriously it was just waiting to happen. the systems used on this particular well are fully modern and used all over the world. and yet in this case they totally failed. imho the government should also be to blame, as they are fully involved with authorizing wells like this one and subsidizing an hugely profitable industry for various reasons. merely showboating that they are kicking ass isn't enough. they need a plan to work with BP to get the oil out of the ocean and off the beaches. they should've been accepting help from all over the place whenever it came and owe a diplomatic/political favour of some kind in teh long run to get this fixed. instead the govt did what politicians do best and play the blame game and talk at length about this angle or that angle or which party is most at fault or eve OMG OBAMA STARTED THIS DISASTER WITH HIS OWN BARE HANDS probably like amg sort of thing.

it's great that they finally got it contained. hopefully all parties involved learned some valuable information, techniques and what does and doesn't work in situations like this for the future until we ween ourselves off oil. maybe just maybe this will be a huge kick in teh ass to america to get off the oil and seriously look at alternative energies for a change. no seriously. i mean it. ok lolz you got me here. the oil will run out one day and america will be all like AMG WTF NO MOAR OILZ???? HOW DO I DRIVE MY HUMMER ON MY 2 HOUR COMMUTE???

Winner!

I would have also accepted 1978, 1979, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1998, 2001 or 2010.

Ah damn it, didn't know it was multiple choice. What's my prize? Wait, don't tell me! It is a barrel of oil? LOVE IT! <3

Ahhh, the classic American baying for someone's blood. Too bad you can't invade us eh? And no, it is the US's bill, not BP.

FYI, it hasn't been legally known as British Petroleum since they changed their name to BP. Around the same time they had a 50/50 of British and American business people sitting on their board. But you knew that didn't you?

The point isn't that its British or American. The point is that any corporation has responsibility. The government shouldn't be responsible for their mistakes.

The point isn't that its British or American. The point is that any corporation has responsibility. The government shouldn't be responsible for their mistakes.

why not? the US government is in bed with them. they authorize the sites and lease the land to these companies. they offer various incentives to get this companies to operate and do business in the US.

best post in this thread. pretty much sums up my thoughts on both the subject and the direction of this thread.

aol is still america online. etc so on and so forth right down to BP being british patroleum. simply because coca cola changes the name on the can to coke doesn't stop me from calling it coca cola. and yes iirc that has happened and been reversed more than once. brands have little to do with legalities and current marketing schemes. and everything to do with collective conciseness and cultural memory.

now let's get it straight here, they're a ameri-british company primarily. iirc their head oiffices are in the UK, which says something about it's roots, and it's operations. now iirc the workers on the rig, up to and including the on site managers and such and everyone responsible for maintaining the safety procedures and equipment(that failed here catastrophically in a way which they were designed to prevent) were americans.

overall imho, BP is going above and beyond what is legally necessary for them to do in this case. they could pay the 75$ million liabiilty and continue doing business as usual for the most part and leave everything else up to the US government, who is also imho liable as they authorize and profit from every single well produced in teh US, if not in royalties from land lease and such then in direct benefit to the oil starved US economy, of which OIL is is the backbone.

one year's profit over what was it 2 years or something like that and no divdends for investors is a huge undertaking for any company. which i snot to say that oil is not an incredibly profitable business for BP or other oil comapnies. but seriously, companies are built to be profit driven.

now it's easy to blame BP for this. but seriously it was just waiting to happen. the systems used on this particular well are fully modern and used all over the world. and yet in this case they totally failed. imho the government should also be to blame, as they are fully involved with authorizing wells like this one and subsidizing an hugely profitable industry for various reasons. merely showboating that they are kicking ass isn't enough. they need a plan to work with BP to get the oil out of the ocean and off the beaches. they should've been accepting help from all over the place whenever it came and owe a diplomatic/political favour of some kind in teh long run to get this fixed. instead the govt did what politicians do best and play the blame game and talk at length about this angle or that angle or which party is most at fault or eve OMG OBAMA STARTED THIS DISASTER WITH HIS OWN BARE HANDS probably like amg sort of thing.

it's great that they finally got it contained. hopefully all parties involved learned some valuable information, techniques and what does and doesn't work in situations like this for the future until we ween ourselves off oil. maybe just maybe this will be a huge kick in teh ass to america to get off the oil and seriously look at alternative energies for a change. no seriously. i mean it. ok lolz you got me here. the oil will run out one day and america will be all like AMG WTF NO MOAR OILZ???? HOW DO I DRIVE MY HUMMER ON MY 2 HOUR COMMUTE???

Exactly, lets not forget what this is about and the major players. Hopefully they all learned a good lesson and hopefully we wont see this happening again. America isn't the only one though who uses gas a ton, as japan and china have become huge competitors as well. But we are all to blame, as no one here I'm sure has done anything change worthy in their life to stop using gas. Those of you who have, awesome and more power to you. But it has become so ingrained into our lives, that unless they really just put a massive halt to production of oil and gas based machines, we will never break free. Even if another energy resource become available, unless it is extremely cheap and products can take advantage of it without needing much else from the people, we will continue to need oil and destroy our land.

You take your car to work, i'll take my board. And when your out of fuel, i'll skate on byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p weezer rules :)

why not? the US government is in bed with them. they authorize the sites and lease the land to these companies. they offer various incentives to get this companies to operate and do business in the US.

The government gave the the contracts, did not perform their duties to make sure everything was as it should have been, and did not make sure that BP could control whatever error might have occurred, even though BP lied about that, the government should do more research. Due to the faults of both parties, they are both to blame in this.

Also, I think all those "drill baby drill" criers need to put those shirts back on and go to the gulf and start wiping oil off birds and rocks.

Exactly, lets not forget what this is about and the major players. Hopefully they all learned a good lesson and hopefully we wont see this happening again. America isn't the only one though who uses gas a ton, as japan and china have become huge competitors as well. But we are all to blame, as no one here I'm sure has done anything change worthy in their life to stop using gas. Those of you who have, awesome and more power to you. But it has become so ingrained into our lives, that unless they really just put a massive halt to production of oil and gas based machines, we will never break free. Even if another energy resource become available, unless it is extremely cheap and products can take advantage of it without needing much else from the people, we will continue to need oil and destroy our land.

You take your car to work, i'll take my board. And when your out of fuel, i'll skate on byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p weezer rules :)

The government gave the the contracts, did not perform their duties to make sure everything was as it should have been, and did not make sure that BP could control whatever error might have occurred, even though BP lied about that, the government should do more research. Due to the faults of both parties, they are both to blame in this.

Also, I think all those "drill baby drill" criers need to put those shirts back on and go to the gulf and start wiping oil off birds and rocks.

yep you're right it's not just america which is so desperately dependant on oil.

when the wells run dry we're going to be looking at the biggest paradigm shift in human history, if we don't act relatively fast to mitigate the effects of running out of oil. everything from how much we drive and how we wash our hair and what we eat is going to be affected.

Um... I'm pretty sure BP was already forced to set aside billions and billions of dollars to account for the damages they've done.

So there's really no point bitching about who you think has to cover the bills.

Did the swastika change its name legally? Nope, therefore your "analogy" fails. I think YOU need to get real. The name of the company is BP, formerly called British Petroleum but it would be inaccurate to call them that, just like it's inaccurate to call KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken.

It's not innacurate to call KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken. The terms are used interchangibly. Their legal name is KFC (a subsidiary of Pepsi Co.) but they still call themselves Kentucky Fried Chicken when it make sense to (ads). When I worked there as a kid all of the company forms were headed "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and had KFC Inc at the bottom. You realize businesses carry more than one legal name routinely...right? When you form a corporate entity you have the option of specifying separate AKA names.

EDIT: By the way, if KFC had an issue with salmonella spreading throughout it's stores, stating that Kentucky Fried Chicken is responsible for salmonella poisoning is in no way a swipe at Kentucky. Get over it Brits...

You guys really spend too much time arguing over useless information lol... BP or British Petroleum... who cares, the company, British or American will have to pay for it :pinch:

yep you're right it's not just america which is so desperately dependant on oil.

when the wells run dry we're going to be looking at the biggest paradigm shift in human history, if we don't act relatively fast to mitigate the effects of running out of oil. everything from how much we drive and how we wash our hair and what we eat is going to be affected.

We have more oil sitting under just the shale here than all Middle Eastern countries combined IIRC. The 'shortage' was created by OPEC nations and Global Warming scaremongers to cause speculators to raise oil prices to drive consumers further out of the market, which is why we see the big push by Auto mahufacturers and oil companies alike to try and monetize the next big fuel source.

If anyone is wondering why solar hasn't become as efficient in the consumer market as it needs to be to take off, think about how much business utility companies and energy (oil, gas) industries would lose. Once they find a way to monetize it it will be commercialy viable. Wind based energies just don't make any sense, unless they put a farm in Chicago.

It's bp's bill, period. they even admitted it at a press conference. there's no reason the government should pay for this when bp has taken responsibility for the leak and has a vast amount of cash at its disposal.

Ah damn it, didn't know it was multiple choice. What's my prize? Wait, don't tell me! It is a barrel of oil? LOVE IT! <3

Ah I'm afraid there is no real prize. Just the amusement of the American reaction to a situation that has happened to loads of other countries before and to America (caused by America), that is then exaggerated by 10 million times due to the fact that this happened in America but was caused by someone else (or perceived to be by them)

Since nothing like this has ever happened in the world anywhere else before it happened to America in April.

Ahhh, the classic American baying for someone's blood. Too bad you can't invade us eh? And no, it is the US's bill, not BP.

FYI, it hasn't been legally known as British Petroleum since they changed their name to BP. Around the same time they had a 50/50 of British and American business people sitting on their board. But you knew that didn't you?

Why we want to invade your country? its not even as big as the State I live in hehehe

Why we want to invade your country? its not even as big as the State I live in hehehe

Funny how we managed to have the largest empire, by any measure, in history.

Ah the current supposed imperialistic strategy of America amuses me. It is like a small child showing a professional artist a picture they have drawn and the artist saying how "good" it is.

I know these are getting off topic but I'm sick of all this Brit bashing. If it had been a Chinese firm would we have had the same US outcry? One minute, when we're best pals when you need a friend to back you at the UN for a war. Now we're scum not fit to grace the sole of your shoe. This is why no-one likes most Americans (I say most, I have lived in America and normal worldly people are few and far between) or America as a nation. (My apologies to the few decent Americans who exist, and I know you do) At the moment though you can kiss my blowout preventer.