My First HDR

This is my first HDR shot with my Z1012 IS:

post-3330-12790733026268.jpg

Please critique and feedback please.

The color of the flower seems too bright. I think HDR works better when there's more range of light in the photo.

I basically agree with this, the details in the flower texture seem to have been lost.

i second the guys above me, furthermore, try a bit more of depth of field. :)

just a tiny bit, so the contures in the background don't blur as much.

but maybe I'm just too irritated by the generally big loss of detail.

Glassed Silver:mac

I like it!

I'm no expert, but I think for a first attempt (note 1st attempt all other posters) it's very pretty.

I do agree with the loss of detail, but that's something you can work out as you go from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd attempts in the future!

Cheers!

3...remember I have a PnS camera. Not a DSLR (want one so badly). There was not much difference in the exposures either. I am not shooting that way again unless I take 30+ minutes to setup.

The color of the flower seems too bright. I think HDR works better when there's more range of light in the photo.

+1

@OP: you need to concentrate more on the focus and give importance to every piece of the picture and not just the flower.

That situation doesn't need and therefore does not suit HDR methinks.

Try it with a shot containing much more of an exposure 'range' dark shadows and bright highlights, the effect would suit that much more.

That's if you feel compelled to use HDR at all, I for one hate the effect.

That situation doesn't need and therefore does not suit HDR methinks.Try it with a shot containing much more of an exposure 'range' dark shadows and bright highlights, the effect would suit that much more.

I'd tend to agree with this, but interesting effect none the less, this is one of the first HDR macros I've seen, and to think its taken by a PnS its not a bad first attempt. One of my favourite effects to do with macro/flowers is Bokkeh (Basically making the background blurry) but this may be hard to acheive with a PnS.

3...remember I have a PnS camera. Not a DSLR (want one so badly). There was not much difference in the exposures either. I am not shooting that way again unless I take 30+ minutes to setup.

You can shoot HDR w/ point and shoot just fine. The problem is that you need a bigger difference in the exposures. I usually do at least 2 stops. So for example if my original exposure is 1/30 I would also get an exposure of 1/125 and 1/8. Make sure to keep the aperture the same and adjust the shutter speed.

You can shoot HDR w/ point and shoot just fine. The problem is that you need a bigger difference in the exposures. I usually do at least 2 stops. So for example if my original exposure is 1/30 I would also get an exposure of 1/125 and 1/8. Make sure to keep the aperture the same and adjust the shutter speed.

Thanks for the tip. I will try another HDR with something other than a flower.