Choose Bing and Microsoft will donate $3 to charity

Microsoft has teamed up with with DonorsChoose.org. If you choose Bing as your default search engine, Microsoft will donate $3 to this organization to fund a classroom project of your choice.

8880.Donate1_5F00_thumb_5F00_5E472CB6.jpg

?Every day students use Bing to explore the world, so we have a vested interest in seeing them succeed.

Choose Bing and Microsoft will send you a $3 donation code to use towards a public school classroom project of your choice on DonorsChoose.org.

This money can give a new reader a copy of ?The Wizard of Oz,? an inkpad to a budding artist, or four new compasses to young urban explorers.?

Visit here for more details and how to get started.

Source

Why dont they just give the $3 to charity anyway instead of trying to guilt trip people into changing to a search service.

Why dont they just give the $3 to charity anyway instead of trying to guilt trip people into changing to a search service.

Marketing.

I done this to redeem the $3 coupon and help out, but I'll be switching back to Google :p

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is one of (if not the?) biggest philanthropist organisations in the world.

not financially related to Microsoft...

Really? I would've thought that a considerable portion of their money comes from Bill Gates who earnt the money while CEO of...?

Really? I would've thought that a considerable portion of their money comes from Bill Gates who earnt the money while CEO of...?

As soon as the money becomes his, it's no longer Microsofts.

I earn money from my employer. I donate money personally to a charity. The link between employer and charity is null.

Its a good move imo, I would rather them donate something than say the alternative of... not

I've never given Bing a fair shake, maybe I will now

Seriously? So on your next payday, the money you get actually still belongs to the company you work for? No, that's not how it works :p

Sadly the process is too complicated.

Those that understand and can execute the process, use Google. Those that haven't got a clue what a search provider is, probably will set Bing to their default and not do anything afterwards.

• 7 months later...

My opinion on that is this, maybe to encourage people to share a part of them they've come up with something that is beneficial to a charity. However, although there's a condition I don't really think it will just flourish as easy as that since a huge number of people would think why there's such a condition when your aim is to help. But since they partnered to an organization it is I think natural to have that so it will be a win-win situation for both. There's just so many non-profit organization that offers car donation program wherein if we have an old car living in the garage for so long better to donate it rather than to junk it. There are also organizations wherein you can donate money, food, clothing and even blood all of those are for good caused.

Microsoft apologized and donated the full $100,000 after getting slammed pretty hard for using the disaster to promote Bing.

Source

Edit: I assumed this was about their recent Twitter fiasco. Didn't notice it was a thread from a year ago. :blush:

Microsoft apologized and donated the full $100,000 after getting slammed pretty hard for using the disaster to promote Bing.

Source

Edit: I assumed this was about their recent Twitter fiasco. Didn't notice it was a thread from a year ago. :blush:

funny thing is Chrome for charity is somehow ok. wait "innovative"

http://mashable.com/2010/12/15/chrome-for-a-cause/

funny thing is Chrome for charity is somehow ok. wait "innovative"

http://mashable.com/2010/12/15/chrome-for-a-cause/

I think the difference is that this isn't just donating to a charity, it's donating to disaster relief because hundreds of thousands of people just died and millions are suffering after a major tragedy. In that situation a company should just donate and not use it as an excuse to promote its products.

I think the difference is that this isn't just donating to a charity, it's donating to disaster relief because hundreds of thousands of people just died and millions are suffering after a major tragedy. In that situation a company should just donate and not use it as an excuse to promote its products.

fair enough. As stupid as MS marketing is they wouldn't thing of exploiting a disaster for hits. They were probably appealing their Bing users to bing for charity as well. If Google said, every Google search =$3 for disaster relief it wouldn't such an issue.