wierdest problem

Hi, I have a D-Link DMF-560TXD pcmcia 10/100 nic for my laptop.

I have win98se and winxp installed on the laptop

In win98se the card works fine but in windows xp, although the card is automaticly recognized,

no matter what i do, i keeps saying "A network cable is unplugged" even if i directly plug into cable modem or use hub.

Any idea.. What does winXP do differently, requires particular cable.. I currently use CAT 5.

Thank you much.

:wacko:

• 1 year later...

A thread brought back from the dead!

Any new info on this? Dlink doesn't support this hardware any more, but I bought one on ebay for an old laptop that now has XP Pro installed. Their website makes it sound like it works with XP, but whenever I put in the network cable, my laptop says "network cable is unplugged." That same network cable works on my other laptop. Any solutions found? (Installed on a Thinkpad 600.)

edit: All three lights on the DLink PC card light up great - link is solid green, 10/100 solid orange, and activity blinks green as expected. For all intensive purposes, the thing looks like it works, but won't let me connect to anything. My TCP/IP settings are right (and for that matter the settings are identical to another PC card that works in the same machine - the old connector is just broken on one side and is ready to break off completely. Thus the replacement.)

Edited by grookes

ba-bump.

When I initially put the PC card in my computer with no network cable plugged in, it says it has a limited connection....but a connection none-the-less. When I plug in the cable, it says "a network cable has been disconnected." When I unplug it, no update to the message - still "disconnected."

Already contacted D-Link - they won't support it even though I bought the thing last week. Bummer.