10+ mistakes Linux newbies make

Avoiding the command line? Are you flipping serious? It's the 21st century. We have GUI everything. We have touchscreen technology. Who would want to use a command line? better yet, why should you need to?

If you build an OS that needs to use the command line then you don't deserve to be taken seriously. Why on earth would you want to go backwards?

:rolleyes: Perfect example of my point above.

Oh, and you do realize that some people do buy computers pre-installed with Linux (like netbooks) and have no idea that there is anything other than Windows. Yes, those people are stupid, but that doesn't mean they don't exist or buy computers.

#6 applies equally well to Windows and OS X as well. Call me an elitist technosnob if you must, but those of us who grew up HAVING to use the command line to get anything done are simply far more capable of fixing problems with a computer than those of you who have never seen, let alone used, the command line for anything. Stop treating it like some archaic, dangerous voodoo ritual. It is simply another interface, one that in many cases is far more powerful than any GUI could ever be.

That's great..for you and the people that feel at home using a command line. But this isn't about those people. It's about new users. Ans yes, to them, it is archaic.

Oh, and you do realize that some people do buy computers pre-installed with Linux (like netbooks) and have no idea that there is anything other than Windows. Yes, those people are stupid, but that doesn't mean they don't exist or buy computers.

Sure, but I doubt very many people go into buying a netbook without trying it out first. And no, these people are not stupid. Being proficient in one thing doesn't make you proficient in everything.

Avoiding the command line? Are you flipping serious? It's the 21st century. We have GUI everything. We have touchscreen technology. Who would want to use a command line? better yet, why should you need to?

Just my own preference of course, but once you master it, a terminal is absurdly powerful. Just for example, say you have a bunch of audio files in various sub-directories that you want to selectively rename if a certain condition applies, move them elsewhere otherwise. (Just pulling that example out of thin air.) I can do that with one command in a terminal prompt, where clicking my way through it would be a hassle, at best. I agree for day to day use I love a flashy KDE desktop as much as the next person, but when I really want to get something complicated done in a hurry, you can't beat a terminal. Throw in shell scripts and the like, and it just gets better. It's not something you have to know how to use, but you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring such a powerful tool.

That aside, mistake #1 I see all the time. People assume that everything works like Windows, and when they find out that it doesn't, it must obviously suck instead of trying something new. A quote from Men In Black comes to mind.. "I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely... dick. "

I think another major mistake that New linux users make is a very simple one. (however this a personal pet peeve) Trying to make Linux look either like a Windows theme or a MAC theme. Let it alone it is its own OS stop skinning it to look like something else.

As much as the tone of the original article turns me off, it's this kind of uninformed opinions that sometimes justify it. It's not nice to be condescending, like the article was, but when you really ARE dealing with obtuse people...

In short: people would want to use a command line because, due to its inherent nature, it's simply more powerful and convenient than a GUI for some (i.e. not all) tasks. This is true across all 3 major operating systems, including Windows. As for why should you need to; the answer is that you don't. Many modern distros allow you to avoid it entirely if that's what you want.

Allow me to say the following in the most humble manner: Almost all of that list is dumb and dare I say - stupid!

rule #1 on linux: people need to know linux system is not for general population

as for terminal, it is better for debugging; a lot of gui applications just close upon error, we need to know what kind of error they throw... and you can do more on terminal, a lot more

Just my own preference of course, but once you master it, a terminal is absurdly powerful. Just for example, say you have a bunch of audio files in various sub-directories that you want to selectively rename if a certain condition applies, move them elsewhere otherwise. (Just pulling that example out of thin air.) I can do that with one command in a terminal prompt, where clicking my way through it would be a hassle, at best. I agree for day to day use I love a flashy KDE desktop as much as the next person, but when I really want to get something complicated done in a hurry, you can't beat a terminal. Throw in shell scripts and the like, and it just gets better. It's not something you have to know how to use, but you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring such a powerful tool.

That aside, mistake #1 I see all the time. People assume that everything works like Windows, and when they find out that it doesn't, it must obviously suck instead of trying something new. A quote from Men In Black comes to mind.. "I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely... dick. "

+1 the terminal is extremely powerful. Someone who's not willing to use it is missing out a lot

Yeah, like my mum (who has enough problem with a mouse already) would not panic when seeing a command prompt. I like the face that recently all major distributions have made big strides to make the command line obsolete for most tasks. It's still there if you want it for us power users, but normal users should never have to go to the terminal to do stuff.

I have to admit... I still looked at the .<whatever> on the end of files for a while.

By a while, I mean a couple of days. I've only been completely Windows free for

just over a week now. heh

9: Skipping updates

I have been burned with Windows updates many times. Need I bother mentioning the update from Explorer 7 to Explorer 8? Very rarely has a Linux update fubar?d a system of mine. In fact, I can?t remember the last time it has. So I am always up to date on my systems? and with good reason. Those updates bring new security patches and features to software and should be applied. Having an installation with a security hole is not what your users need, especially on a machine that houses important information.

As regards this: I have also seen that the more advanced the user is, PRIOR to changing or switching to Linux, the more likely they are to experiment and in trying to use repositories that are ppa back-ports or perhaps unstable one's, that this is when Linux finds a bunch of updates they can create havoc or in the most extreme instances absolutely bugger the system altogether! :laugh:

There are three main things that people need to realise:

1) Linux isn't like Windows.

2) Linux requires some reading and experimentation - if you're scared of learning then it isn't the OS for you.

3) Linux is free, you can't compare commercial operating systems to something that is maintained free of charge by the community. There is a trade off of one methodology over another.

what is this..? why...?

Grr

Because what you posted is the same as what Barney posted in another thread. Except he linked to the source, and you posted contents without sourcing.

What's wrong with Windows? According to this, most end users don't know how to use Linux because they are so accustomed to Windows, so why go with Linux? Let those who really need it use it and let the rest stick to Windows.

Because what you posted is the same as what Barney posted in another thread. Except he linked to the source, and you posted contents without sourcing.

Better than, you simply remove my thread and continue the barney thread.

Anyway.... :)

Better than,
Debatable. His gave proper credit to the source. You could read the full text, as the original author intended. Yours... Well, it copied/pasted a few statements from each item, but wasn't complete, and certainly didn't credit the work of the original author.

One thing that is not debatable, though is this:

you simply remove my thread and continue the barney thread.

Anyway.... :)

I did no such thing. I just answered your question as to "why".

Duplicate thread is duplicate. ;)

What's wrong with Windows? According to this, most end users don't know how to use Linux because they are so accustomed to Windows, so why go with Linux? Let those who really need it use it and let the rest stick to Windows.

Apparently there are many advantages of using Linux over Windows, I don't want to sight them here :sleep: . If you carefully read your own argument you will find that u answered to the question you asked :p . You are accustomed to Windows, spent hours, since primary school, using it and so you feel that Windows is better somehow and why go for Linux. But how can you actually say how a berry tastes unless u actually taste it. ;) :D