Great, but I still wonder why they didnt just use the Source engine :s

This game is gonna be outdated before its even released :p

The source engine is outdated :p

Gotta say, its definitely taken a turn for the playable with this latest patch. Summit is an amazing map and we got up to 14 players with virtually no lag the other night (a first), even late game with many hydras (big map). Kinda bummed about the Fade nerf but once air control is added back it should be fine.

Gotta say, its definitely taken a turn for the playable with this latest patch. Summit is an amazing map and we got up to 14 players with virtually no lag the other night (a first), even late game with many hydras (big map). Kinda bummed about the Fade nerf but once air control is added back it should be fine.

I think its sort of a buff (the different Blink mechanic at least). Instead of straight-line blinking, you can make much more precise and unpredictable movements, making it much more skill based and requiring your enemies to be more careful. Also, the old fade blink slowed down gameplay (the old NS2 blink, that is) because you had to aim it the fire it.......the new blink you just use it and its instantly in effect, you simply move where you want to blink to.

Latest update is awesome. Check it out if you've been waiting as it's fully playable now.

Good to hear, might try it again...been waiting for it to be playable for awhile. Is lerk flight any better yet? Last time I tried lerk the flight seemed very stiff and crappy compared to the first...maybe its a bit more realistic (not being able to change direction instantly) but it really slows down an alien form that needs agility possibly even more so than the skulk.

Air control does make up for the reduced health and energy. Though it is funny to see the fade 'stick' now when he runs outta go juice. Hard to gauge balance before the HMG is implemented though I recon. Still very tough to down, even with shottys and flamethrowers.

Lerk flight is still a little off to me, but its my least favorite class for what its worth (even in NS1).

If they keep up the same pace as the last couple updates, there is no reason to not pre-order and jump in if you've been on the fence. Its finally starting to come together and its going to be awesome.

Okay, I have watched this thread for a bit now, so I am wondering since it sounds like some decent progress has been made, how does one try this game out?

Air control does make up for the reduced health and energy. Though it is funny to see the fade 'stick' now when he runs outta go juice. Hard to gauge balance before the HWG is implemented though I recon. Still very tough to down, even with shottys and flamethrowers.

Lerk flight is still a little off to me, but its my least favorite class for what its worth (even in NS1).

If they keep up the same pace as the last couple updates, there is no reason to not pre-order and jump in if you've been on the fence. Its finally starting to come together and its going to be awesome.

Lerk was one of my favorite in NS1 because I loved the mobility, lerk and skulk for me.......fade was ok but I felt like too large of a target and I never quite got used to the blink from the original. I would often soften up targets as a lerk, then fly in as my friend (who was a good fade) would blink in, and I would throw down the orange cloud (made bullets miss a ton) on him and stay with him, we would usually wipe most of the enemy team (before they got HMGs and jetpacks, that is).

Last time I tried lerk in NS2 though its flight still seemed very sluggish and nothing like it was in NS1. Haven't tried it over the last few patches though so it may have changed since.

Okay, I have watched this thread for a bit now, so I am wondering since it sounds like some decent progress has been made, how does one try this game out?

Currently it is still in closed beta, the only way to test it is the pre-order it.

Currently it is still in closed beta, the only way to test it is the pre-order it.

Well that settles that then. :laugh:

Thanks for the reply. (Y)

Well that settles that then. :laugh:

Thanks for the reply. (Y)

Just noticed my spelling mistake....the(before pre-order) = to :p

Anyway, you could also download the original NS1 to get a feel for that type of gameplay (two completely different playstyles facing against each other), but you would need to own the original HL (or at least something on that engine I think).....and it would be quite different than 2 is currently, but it might at least give you an idea as to whether or not you would enjoy that style game.

Just noticed my spelling mistake....the(before pre-order) = to :p

Anyway, you could also download the original NS1 to get a feel for that type of gameplay (two completely different playstyles facing against each other), but you would need to own the original HL (or at least something on that engine I think).....and it would be quite different than 2 is currently, but it might at least give you an idea as to whether or not you would enjoy that style game.

Cool, I can definitely do that, as I have HL1 for sure. (Y)

• 3 months later...

Yeah the new build is fantastic. The new assault rifle looks great, and overall the game just runs much better. I'm shocked at how much better the game looks now than when I first got into the beta so long ago. The lighting is really nice (but not over done like soooooo many other games these days) and the balance is very nice at this point also (though the aliens are still a bit OP if you ask me lol).

I'd really like to see more maps though, but I know Unknown Worlds has taken things slowly so far, and will continue to do that. More maps would be great down the line though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really diggin on the new infestation progress.

My issue still is that while average framerates are much better, server/combat induced drops are still a huge problem. That and the engine still feels mushy (especially after playing RAGE). Everything else is shaping up beautifully though. Should be ready for prime time by next summer if they keep up this pace.

Onos next patch!

• 3 months later...

Here's an interesting video about a day in the life of various Unknown Worlds employees. You can watch more "inside" videos

And here's a game of NS2 (game 1 of 7). The rest of the games (2 to 7) can be viewed on

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, interesting. Never heard of this game before, but I'm definitely intrigued. Downloading the first one right now. :)

The trailers a lie, there isn't that many people online :(

Up until this latest patch, you were lucky if two servers had people on them at any given time. Now there are 10+ servers (always full to boot btw) with people on them. They must have either fixed the master server reporting empty servers (if that was an issue) or quiet a few people ordered the game once Gorilla came out.

Up until this latest patch, you were lucky if two servers had people on them at any given time. Now there are 10+ servers (always full to boot btw) with people on them. They must have either fixed the master server reporting empty servers (if that was an issue) or quiet a few people ordered the game once Gorilla came out.

This is why it needs to be OPEN beta.

I may have to reinstall the game again and give it a shot if there's people again.

I may have to reinstall the game again and give it a shot if there's people again.

Yep, still people playing. I'm surprised at this point, usually a few days after a big patch or whatever a game loses the initial big influx of players. But NS2 still has all those servers pretty much full at all times. It's great :)