• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Queation about a lens

Dane    177

So the default lens that's on most cannon's and nikons the 18-55mm. How far does that zoom? and what would be the next up? 70-200 or 70-300?

Dane    177

Nikon Lens Simulator should give you a good idea of what you would see at different focal lengths. 18-55 is ~3x zoom, 70-200 ~2.8x

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/simulator/

Thanks.

I was just curious cause on my point and shoot it's 10x optical zoom. So what kind of lens should I look for, for that? or even 5x?

I8PP    11

The 10x would come from dividing the highest focal length (eg 50) by the shortest (eg 5).

The closest lens to match that amount of zoom would be an 18-200mm (~11x). You sacrifice some quality for that kind of lens configuration, but it's an awesome general walk-around/vacation lens. I have the Nikon version myself. What lens is right for you depends on your own needs.

Dane    177

The 10x would come from dividing the highest focal length (eg 50) by the shortest (eg 5).

The closest lens to match that amount of zoom would be an 18-200mm (~11x). You sacrifice some quality for that kind of lens configuration, but it's an awesome general walk-around/vacation lens. I have the Nikon version myself. What lens is right for you depends on your own needs.

Thanks.

I was checking out the 75-300mm I found online. Most places have it for around $150-199$.

Is that better?

I8PP    11

Depends what you shoot. You're going to have a really hard time getting group shots at 70mm - you will have to be pretty far back.

Argote    73

18-55 is ~3x zoom, 70-200 ~2.8x

While this is the correct way to express the "x" factor, I believe your post may mislead the less knoledgeable OP into believing that a 70-200 lens will only zoom into a 2.8x equivalent on a Point and Shoot camera.

A 70-200 lens is way more zoomed in (closer) than an 18-55 lens even if it seems to have a lower "x" factor. In a camera with an APS-C size sensor, a 24mm focal length would have the Field-Of-View equivalent to what point and shoots without wide angle lenses would call "1x".

Argote    73

Thanks.

I was checking out the 75-300mm I found online. Most places have it for around $150-199$.

Is that better?

The 75-300 would be what is known as a "telephoto zoom" lens, that is, it "closes in" on the subjects a lot and has a relatively narrow field of view. An 18-55 lens coupled with something like the 75-300 makes a very nice entry-level combination that is useful in many situations.

By the way, is the 75-300 you are looking at opticallty stabilized? (IS for Canon lenses, VR for Nikon lenses, OS for Sigma lenses, VC for Tamron lenses).

Mouettus    108

don,t even bother with the 75-300

the 55-250 is far superior optically

Argote    73

don,t even bother with the 75-300

the 55-250 is far superior optically

What mount are you talking about? He hasn't mentioned any mount in particular...

Dane    177

The 75-300 would be what is known as a "telephoto zoom" lens, that is, it "closes in" on the subjects a lot and has a relatively narrow field of view. An 18-55 lens coupled with something like the 75-300 makes a very nice entry-level combination that is useful in many situations.

By the way, is the 75-300 you are looking at opticallty stabilized? (IS for Canon lenses, VR for Nikon lenses, OS for Sigma lenses, VC for Tamron lenses).

Thanks for the information.

I don't believe it is stabilized, where would it say? I was just browsing last night and didn't check them out in detail.