'Dead' Woman Found Alive After Medical Mix-Up

A young Arizona woman thought killed in a car accident last week was found to be alive Saturday in what was described as a medical mix-up.

Abby Guerra, 19, was one of five friends from Ironwood High School in Glendale, Ariz., who were on their way home from California's Disneyland when they crashed July 18.

Guerra's family was told the promising young soccer star died at the scene.

Fellow passenger Tyler Parker, 20, died later in the hospital, but another passenger escaped without serious injuries.

Two others, including 21-year-old Marlena Cantu, were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix with severe head trauma.

But officials incorrectly identified Guerra at the scene and informed her family of her death -- even though the medical examiner's office had refused to confirm her identity until they could compare her medical records, according to KPHO.com.

That process took nearly a week, with officials blaming a backlog of patients and shortage of doctors for the delay.

Guerra's family was in the process of organizing her funeral when they got word she was still alive.

"I mean, you're ecstatic for one -- I mean, it's a miracle -- but in the same you feel angry, because we mourned all week," Guerra's aunt Dorenda Cisneros told KPHO.com.

Guerra was in critical condition Saturday night with a brain injury, broken back and collapsed lung.

"It's a bad dream, and hopefully it's gonna have a great happy ending. That's what we're praying for so," Cisneros said.

more

Guerra was in critical condition Saturday night with a brain injury, broken back and collapsed lung.

Trust me, there will be not happy ending in that condition.