Finally getting a HDTV and PS3

shakey

Here is the TV : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9783649.p?skuId=9783649&id=1218173774957

and we all know what a ps3 is like.

I have always had one of those ooold 32' RCA Tube TVs. Finally going digital and saw this tv at Aarons. Got a pretty good plan, on which after about a year or so of payments, I will trade in this tv for a newer one I'm sure.

How easy is it to stream movies from a pc to a ps3 to show on the TV, as my computer will be too far to hook directly up to the tv.

ozzy76

PS3 Media Server will do the trick. I stream all my media files from my PC onto my PS3 which connects to my 40" HDTV (Sony Bravia).

Congrats on the TV purchase. (you'll never go back to standard def)

lunamonkey

You could try these methods instead of going via the PS3 (which is easy anyway, you'll have no worries)

These are built in on the TV .......

2 USB 2.0 ports

For quick connection of a digital camera or other USB device.

ConnectShare Movie

Allows you to connect a thumb drive or digital camera. User-friendly interface allows access to videos, music playlist and pictures via the remote.

AllShare function

Via a wired or wireless DLNA connection lets you stream audio or video files from your PC to this HDTV using the remote.

shakey

You could try these methods instead of going via the PS3 (which is easy anyway, you'll have no worries)

These are built in on the TV .......

2 USB 2.0 ports

For quick connection of a digital camera or other USB device.

ConnectShare Movie

Allows you to connect a thumb drive or digital camera. User-friendly interface allows access to videos, music playlist and pictures via the remote.

AllShare function

Via a wired or wireless DLNA connection lets you stream audio or video files from your PC to this HDTV using the remote.

I was looking into the DLNA set up, and I don't think it will be possible wtih my PC. I am currently STILL running WinXP sp3 :(, I'm a late adopter of most things lol. I also right now don't have a wireless router, but I do have a long enough cord to reach the ps3 from the router.

Could I use DLNA with my current PC setup if I get a wireless router? Or would I have to at least upgrade the OS to one with a Media Center Software?

If I have to use the old ethernet to ps3, is it really easy to just move movies from PC to ps3? Does it check to see if it is *cough* legal or not ( I download anime episodes I would love to see on this tv )?

Thank you for the advice so far.

Also, this TV comes with some emulation software that gets rid of "blur". Something like true motion or whatever, but it makes movies look just amazing during heavy action fights where you normally can't make out anything ( makes transformers look almost fake due to the clarity ). If I am running this mode with the ps3, will it cause graphical errors, on the TV side, due to this emulation?

macel

Also, this TV comes with some emulation software that gets rid of "blur". Something like true motion or whatever, but it makes movies look just amazing during heavy action fights where you normally can't make out anything ( makes transformers look almost fake due to the clarity ). If I am running this mode with the ps3, will it cause graphical errors, on the TV side, due to this emulation?

That would be "Auto Motion Plus" or AMP. You get two settings with it, one is used to reduce blurring and the other is used to reduce judder. I haven't seen any artifacts from turning blur all the way up but the judder setting causes some strange looking artifacts under certain conditions (some fast moving objects get halo/forcefield looking distortion around them). Using AMP will also introduce decent lag, which may or may not bother you when playing games (Game mode disables AMP). I'm not a huge fan of the unnaturally fluid movement (soap opera effect) judder reduction causes so I usually just use it when watching sports (custom settings blur: 10, judder: 0).

still1

PS3 Media Server will do the trick. I stream all my media files from my PC onto my PS3 which connects to my 40" HDTV (Sony Bravia).

Congrats on the TV purchase. (you'll never go back to standard def)

same here.... i connect ps3 to my 40'' sony bravia and ps3 media server works like charm.

congrats....

Dashel

Stay wired as you can easily stream just about anything. You will need Media Center or alternative application to stream from your PC.

MistaT40

Awesome - you are gonna love it! Go wired if you can but wi-fi works well too - I'm on wi-fi and haven't had any prblems thus far.

shakey

Ok, Got some questions about the PS3 Media Server.

Is a computer with a CPU that is just a Intel Celeron ( based off the c2d arch, but only 1 core) at 2.5ghz with 2 gigs of ram capable of streaming 1080p? If not, is there a way I can just put the file onto the ps3 and make it do all the work?

Ridlas

Is a computer with a CPU that is just a Intel Celeron ( based off the c2d arch, but only 1 core) at 2.5ghz with 2 gigs of ram capable of streaming 1080p? If not, is there a way I can just put the file onto the ps3 and make it do all the work?

Highly doubt it. But give it a try and let us know!

russellc

Streaming 1080p video, you would probably need a gigabit network setup for your PS3 and your computer. With that processor, you can assume transcoding HD video will not work out too well.

If the 1080p video is split up into 4 GB parts (PS3 can only read FAT32), you can stick them on a USB flash drive or external and plug that into the PS3.

shakey

Streaming 1080p video, you would probably need a gigabit network setup for your PS3 and your computer. With that processor, you can assume transcoding HD video will not work out too well.

If the 1080p video is split up into 4 GB parts (PS3 can only read FAT32), you can stick them on a USB flash drive or external and plug that into the PS3.

Ya, that's what I figured. My system is just enough to watch 720p, but 1080 was never doable. I was hoping it just had to stream through the router fast enough, in which case, I still think I only have a 10/100mbit card... one I bought about 2 years ago, and Im pretty sure I didnt get the gb one lol.

I know I wont have trouble with my anime, because that is all 720p, but with 1080, is it possible to just transfer the file ( lets say its 7 to 8gb ) onto the ps3, and have it just play from there? Or does it have to be by flashdrive/pc stream?

shakey

Loving the ps3. the media streaming software was easy to figure out, and so far having no trouble with 720p anime with sub titles. Going to test some 1080p streaming tomorrow morning.

Bought Uncharted 2 and God Of War 3. Both games are excellent so far as well :)

russellc

Glad it worked out for you! I have Uncharted 2 as well. Perhaps we can play some online multiplayer? You should try out Fat Princess from the PSN Store too. My PSN handle is russellc.

shakey

Glad it worked out for you! I have Uncharted 2 as well. Perhaps we can play some online multiplayer? You should try out Fat Princess from the PSN Store too. My PSN handle is russellc.

Awesome, will do. My PSN Handle is : Horsdckdotmpg - from a Whitest kids u know movie reference.