"Apple Games: Leveraging Small Market Share"

Another osnews article. This time about Macs and Gaming.

Apple Games: Leveraging Small Market Share

I for one, don't think it's a good idea for apple to "provide" free games for all Macs. Don't get me wrong, a free game does sound great, but what the article is suggesting is that Apple should pay for the free games by adding $50 onto the cost of all new Macs.

Now, that means everyone buying a Mac, should this scheme be adopted, will pay extra, gamer or not. I think Apple would be better off trying to grow market share by cutting costs and passing it onto the consumer, not by making an already expensive, though rightly so, computer more costly.

How 'bout you guys, do you think this is a good idea or not?

To all future readers of this thread: Read the article, because chris's post may be a bit misleading...at least it was to me.

What the article suggests is that Apple should open up a gaming division to create original game titles AND port existing PC games, at the rate of 10 to 20 per year, and provide ALL games as a free download to Mac customers. To leverage the cost of porting the games, he suggests increasing the cost of each Mac computer by $50.

At first, from what chris said, I thought the article was suggesting each person who buys a Mac is forced to take a 'free' game and pay an extra $50.

However, after reading the article...it doesn't sound that THAT bad an idea. I mean, I pay $50 more for my mac, and I get up to 20 free games a year? I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Another osnews article.  This time about Macs and Gaming.

Apple Games: Leveraging Small Market Share

I for one, don't think it's a good idea for apple to "provide" free games for all Macs.  Don't get me wrong, a free game does sound great, but what the article is suggesting is that Apple should pay for the free games by adding $50 onto the cost of all new Macs.

Now, that means everyone buying a Mac, should this scheme be adopted, will pay extra, gamer or not.  I think Apple would be better off trying to grow market share by cutting costs and passing it onto the consumer, not by making an already expensive, though rightly so, computer more costly.

How 'bout you guys, do you think this is a good idea or not?

What's the biggest reason people don't buy Macs. Price? Eh, maybe. No games? Probably just as much. Or no games and price. You hit two birds with one stone with this dude's theory. You have kids who think they know a lot about computers, and of course their parents are going to think so too. And who do the parents, who know nothing about computers, turn to with computer advice? Their kids. What type of computer do these kids recommend? A pc of course, since that's what they use. You get more younger people buying Macs, or actually learning how to use OSX, and enjoy it....what will they recommend to their parents? 2 years ago I would have told my parents to let me build a computer, or buy from Dell. Now I'm pushing for them to get an iMac.

I don't play much for games anymore, but if 50 dollars more on the price of a computer meant 10-20 free GOOD games, I'd be all over it.

edit: for the record, I knew exactly what chris_rv was saying :)

hell they could prolly pay aspyr to do the porting for them as well. They are doing a fine job of it so far

Well, I'm not saying that you are forced to accept free games when you buy a mac. I actually said

Now, that means everyone buying a Mac, should this scheme be adopted, will pay extra, gamer or not.

What would happen is even people who would buy a Mac and not care at all whether or not there are games for the Mac would have to pay $50 for the games being developed for/ported to Macs. Charging every new buyer that much expressly for games which won't benefit non-Gamers isn't a good idea, at least I think so.

Edited by chris_rv

hell they could prolly pay aspyr to do the porting for them as well. They are doing a fine job of it so far

I think Wickedkitten's right. It would be better for Apple to help Aspyr or other companies who would port games over to the Mac. Maybe help with Marketing, that way, Macs wouldn't lack games and Apple would help third parties who support the mac platform.