Apple Creating Mysterious "New Revolutionary Feature" for OS X

I personally have no reason to backup an entire hardive apart from using previous versions. 2 hardrives in my laptop, windows and programs on one and my documents, music, work stuff on another. Never had a hardrive fail on me and both these drives have seen some extreme usage, still working perfectly. I'm sure there are people out there that have no need for a regular backup.

Never, ever say something like this... you never know when the computer gods (or your karma) will fail. I hope you at least knocked on wood when making this statement.

As for backup technology. Time Machine is interesting, but VSS is an actual solution.

It works doesn't it? Next to that Apple doesn't sell external drives, so there is not much gain for them there. Except to promote Mac OS X and to highlight a very useful feature. They sell more Macs / Mac OS X (Snow) Leopard copies, the external HD market got a huge impulse, while leaving Mac users protected from data loss. What's the harm here? I don't get it.

I'm just saying that the Apple sells a time machine device ;) When really any external drive that connects over usb, or even a network drive would work.

Same thing applies to Mac OS X' Time Machine. However, like I said, I actually see the average Joe use that feature or their Macs, not so much on Windows. And that's the difference we were talking about. Obviously there are always going to be people (like you and me, as I'm fully aware of Time Machine but don't use it either) that have their reasons not to use the feature, be it on Windows or Mac OS X.

I agree, but you're forgetting that the average Mac user is probably more technologically knowledgeable than the average Windows user. I mean everything is there for them to find, previous versions may be a bit obscure but the backup in 7 / Vista certainly isn't and it uses the same Shadow Copy engine Previous versions does. If they wanted to backup their data they will find it, if they don't well thats their concern.

Also this is getting off topic ;)

Never, ever say something like this... you never know when the computer gods (or your karma) will fail. I hope you at least knocked on wood when making this statement.

Haha. Well it's true, and like I said when I do major system changes its a quick copy and paste onto my external ;) Maybe one day they will fail on me, and I'll curse my luck..but hey think positive lol.

Sorry for the further off topic but I just wanted to put in my 2¢.

I think the reason the Apple products succeed is because it's all under the Apple umbrella. There are many solutions available to the PC user, sometimes so many that one cannot pick one. With Apple the choice is made for them. Steve chooses the method he wants to copy, puts his GUI, slaps an Apple brand on it and everyone goes out and buys it, no questions asked. Does Apple marketing work? Yes, but only because the average Apple user doesn't question what's being handed to them.

A company recently recognized as world's "most valuable brand" and sitting on top of thousands of products sold on record time can say anything they like, call it magical etc .... So? .... quit the whining

I'm just saying that the Apple sells a time machine device ;) When really any external drive that connects over usb, or even a network drive would work.

Not sure what you're talking about there. Now you're going after Apple's name they decided to give the feature?

I agree, but you're forgetting that the average Mac user is probably more technologically knowledgeable than the average Windows user. I mean everything is there for them to find, previous versions may be a bit obscure but the backup in 7 / Vista certainly isn't and it uses the same Shadow Copy engine Previous versions does. If they wanted to backup their data they will find it, if they don't well thats their concern.

I think the average Mac user is more involved with their computer, yes. However that doesn't happen if you don't manage to make it appeal to people. Apparently the whole Time Machine concept appeals more to people than Windows Backup and that's what Apple really good at: Making features visible, fun to use and appeal to people. So while they might not be the very first to implement a certain feature, they are the first to make it popular among users with a great looking GUI (let's be honest here the Time Machine take on retrieving backups is pretty unique).

Haha. Well it's true, and like I said when I do major system changes its a quick copy and paste onto my external ;) Maybe one day they will fail on me, and I'll curse my luck..but hey think positive lol.

I only had a HDD fail one me once, but I saw it coming a mile away (my former iMac taking about 6 minutes to boot was a good indication) so I can't say I'm too worried either.

I genuinely read [..] failure .

Knowing Apple , anything can be revolutionary . To take a wild guess , it got to be something about iBooks/iAds .?

"New Revolutionary" in Apple's terms means "Lets take an idea someone else already did, and put in our product and say we did it first."

its_magic.jpg

The little blurb thing at the start sounds as though it were written by a child. Whatever this turns out to be, the artist that produced the copy for the job advertisement apparently wishes to stress that it's going to be revolutionary.

It works doesn't it? Next to that Apple doesn't sell external drives, so there is not much gain for them there. Except to promote Mac OS X and to highlight a very useful feature. They sell more Macs / Mac OS X (Snow) Leopard copies, the external HD market got a huge impulse, while leaving Mac users protected from data loss. What's the harm here? I don't get it.

Same thing applies to Mac OS X' Time Machine. However, like I said, I actually see the average Joe use that feature or their Macs, not so much on Windows. And that's the difference we were talking about. Obviously there are always going to be people (like you and me, as I'm fully aware of Time Machine but don't use it either) that have their reasons not to use the feature, be it on Windows or Mac OS X.

Then you're lucky more so than anything else. Also you should keep in mind that Time Machine isn't targeted at hardware failure only, but also user error like accidentally trashing a file or overwriting one.

Maybe because the "average joe" mac user is not as smart as the "average joe" pc user. So the mac users fall for whatever jobs tells them they need, and are scared of virus and their macs breaking down on them, so they back stuff up. People on PC are most likely not as worried about their PC's failing, because if something does fail, it doesn't require us to send the whole computer back.... There are plenty of reasons why more would use it on a mac than pc. And just because more use it or buy it, does not make it better, just means more use it and bought it.

Maybe because the "average joe" mac user is not as smart as the "average joe" pc user. So the mac users fall for whatever jobs tells them they need, and are scared of virus and their macs breaking down on them, so they back stuff up. People on PC are most likely not as worried about their PC's failing, because if something does fail, it doesn't require us to send the whole computer back.... There are plenty of reasons why more would use it on a mac than pc. And just because more use it or buy it, does not make it better, just means more use it and bought it.

Your story makes no sense whatsoever. Especially the "People on PC are most likely not as worried about their PC's failing, because if something does fail, it doesn't require us to send the whole computer back...." part. What about loosing data? PC users aren't worried about that when their HDD(s) fail? Many threads on this forum suggest otherwise. Sounds like you put a lot of thought in your reply.

Well, everyone would agree that most people choose the mac os because of its simplicity. Most users don't like windows because of the many confusing options. Talking about "average joe" again , remember. So the average joe pc user is most likely pretty aware of what lies on the internet and what can happen to their data. Mac users seem to just go for whatever is out, and believe whatever jobs says ( just look at the iphone 4 being defectively designed and the hordes of apple followers who claim that it is the same as any other phone ), so when their machine tells them they need to back stuff up, they most likely will.

You said average joe, not a know it all from here. So when talking about the average joe, between os'es, you have to include the lack of knowledge they most likely will not have.

When a mac breaks, you send the whole thing away, so much more of a reason to back up your data, because even if your monitor goes, there goes everything else with it for a bit. With a pc, that is a very different situation.

Also, PC window users have been able to back things up really easy for a long time now, so most probably already know it is not of any real importance unless you actually have important things to back up.

I really hope it's NOT that crap iAD but for OSX, i dispize it in iOS. As they already got the patent for doing it in OSX :(

Well, everyone would agree that most people choose the mac os because of its simplicity. Most users don't like windows because of the many confusing options. Talking about "average joe" again , remember. So the average joe pc user is most likely pretty aware of what lies on the internet and what can happen to their data. Mac users seem to just go for whatever is out, and believe whatever jobs says ( just look at the iphone 4 being defectively designed and the hordes of apple followers who claim that it is the same as any other phone ), so when their machine tells them they need to back stuff up, they most likely will.

You said average joe, not a know it all from here. So when talking about the average joe, between os'es, you have to include the lack of knowledge they most likely will not have.

Is that why so many Windows computers are infected with viruses, spyware, adware and the likes and frequently run heavily outdated software? Because the average PC user knows so well?

Also to think Mac users follow everything Steve Jobs tells them to is so unbelievably simplistic it just amazes me.

Since Microsoft abandoned their "copy & paste" behavior since windows phone 7, maybe I wont be able to see this revolutionary feature in windows 8. :devil:

I really hope it's NOT that crap iAD but for OSX, i dispize it in iOS. As they already got the patent for doing it in OSX :(

I've yet to see an iAd

Is that why so many Windows computers are infected with viruses, spyware, adware and the likes and frequently run heavily outdated software? Because the average PC user knows so well?

Word! I spend half my freaking time as a SysAdmin for a medium sized company clearing out viruses and spyware. We've got a couple of 2006 Macs running Leopard and a few newer Snow Leopards with NO issues what so ever, ever! Ditto goes for our Linux Boxes

"New Revolutionary" in Apple's terms means "Lets take an idea someone else already did, and put in our product and say we did it first."

+1

#1 average joes don't buy macs. mac products are exclusively for the hipster elite who buy a shiny brand over product value.

#2 windows users don't talk about every little feature windows has as if it's the best thing since sliced bread even if ms really was first to make it. where as mac users talk about every little features osx has as if apple made it first and it's best thing since sliced bread.

#3 the average mac user is no more savvy than the average windows user. the difference is one is more pretentious than the other yet is willing to goblle up and buy anything the brand they're irrationally loyal to sells them.

#4 this mysterious revolutionary feature will likely be on the scale of adding two button mouse/right click functionality to macs. find a windows feature not yet in osx and BAM you've got your evolutionary ground breaking feature that will revolutionize osx.

#5 unless you're backing up huge amounts of data heavy files such as movies, dvd's are still fine for most people's back ups on the windows platform. flash drives are getting large enough to fill in for this role. no need for an external hdd, though i'm sure people other than mac users buy them for this purpose, among others.

#6 jobs/apple obsessed with making the GUI easier to use? which is why it took so long for macs to get two button mice and right click functionality and instead relied on use that awkward function(?) key and mouse button click paradigm for like decades which mac fans rabidly defended as being superior to "normal" mouse use in every way.

Also to think Mac users follow everything Steve Jobs tells them to is so unbelievably simplistic it just amazes me.

Virus doesn't equal lost data or a reason to back data up.... Macs could get just as worse as virus, if they had enough market share. I said they know what to expect, not that they know how to stop it.

Mac users do follow, look at the data. If you can't see that, you are blind. It is the truth. The adoption rate for apple products by previous mac owners is pretty high, especially on new products that they don't eve know what it will do, aka IPAD.

So lets just say since you are refuting my argument, that the mac os isn't any easier to use, and is just the same as pc... then why do all mac users say it is easier and simpler? Are they all lying? All the mac users who said they didn't like how confusing windows was, because of all the options and software they thought they needed, are all just lying huh?

I'm not a apple troll, I'm a troll to ignorance.

Something tells me Microsoft are also working on this and its one of their biggest priorities. Unfortunately MS will not be releasing it until 9 months after they have found out what it is and diverted all attention toward it

:shiftyninja:

Did you really just say that PC users are smarter because they don't back up their data? Really?

Do you plan on using a free version of Mac OS X instead of just paying for it? I'm finding it hard to believe that any paid software will start featuring ads.

Did you really just say that PC users are smarter because they don't back up their data? Really?

If you want to miss the whole point of it, sure. LOL

more like pc users have been able to easily back things up for about 15 years now... and we already really know what needs to be backed up and what doesn't. So we don't have to go out and buy a whole harddrive just to make a back up, because as a user already mentioned, there are important things to back up and things you don't even need to. Backing stuff up doesn't make anyone smarter or dumber, it just makes them cautious. I don't back anything up on my PC, but that is because I don't keep anything on the PC that needs backing up, and nothing on my pc is that important. If it was, I would easily back it up, but most likely with a flash drive.

You're talking this on a whole different spin all of your own...

Virus doesn't equal lost data or a reason to back data up....

Except it does. And apparently you're not getting my point. You're claiming PC users are smarter and they know more about the dangers of the internet. I'm refuting that claim looking at the vast amount of Windows PCs that have been invested with viruses, spyware etc. and outdated software.

Macs could get just as worse as virus, if they had enough market share. I said they know what to expect, not that they know how to stop it.

Mac OS 9 had a much much lower market share than Mac OS X does today, yet it suffered from more viruses and such than Mac OS X.

Mac users do follow, look at the data. If you can't see that, you are blind. It is the truth. The adoption rate for apple products by previous mac owners is pretty high, especially on new products that they don't eve know what it will do, aka IPAD.

What data? Apparently you don't seem to grasp the fact that many iPad, iPod and iPhone owners use PCs running Windows. So really, where does that leave you with your theory?

So lets just say since you are refuting my argument, that the mac os isn't any easier to use, and is just the same as pc... then why do all mac users say it is easier and simpler? Are they all lying? All the mac users who said they didn't like how confusing windows was, because of all the options and software they thought they needed, are all just lying huh?

What?