Apple Creating Mysterious "New Revolutionary Feature" for OS X

What data? Apparently you don't seem to grasp the fact that many iPad, iPod and iPhone owners use PC running Windows. So really, where does that leave you with your theory?

because even apple fanboys who are willing to buy garbage like an ipad realize that they need windows to actually do stuff with their pc. other than tag their photo collection that is.

because if OSX is so great, why would you ever use windows after switching to a mac? if you have to so much as buy a copy of windows to dual boot with on your mac you might as well have just bought/built a windows pc and saved your time money and overall workflow for everything from light daily use to gaming to high end productivity.

you don't buy a mac based on rationality. you buy it(and it is entirely marketed upon) irrational things like fear(windows might get vriuses omg), status symbol(omg shiny white box!), etc etc. the ipad proves this, considering the level of functionality it provides.

because even apple fanboys who are willing to buy garbage like an ipad realize that they need windows to actually do stuff with their pc. other than tag their photo collection that is.

because if OSX is so great, why would you ever use windows after switching to a mac? if you have to so much as buy a copy of windows to dual boot with on your mac you might as well have just bought/built a windows pc and saved your time money and overall workflow for everything from light daily use to gaming to high end productivity.

you don't buy a mac based on rationality. you buy it(and it is entirely marketed upon) irrational things like fear(windows might get vriuses omg), status symbol(omg shiny white box!), etc etc. the ipad proves this, considering the level of functionality it provides.

Are you for real?! :laugh:

And then I got even more excited, because maybe this means they are taking cloud integration seriously at last.

... but I don't want cloud integration. If that's the best they can come up with, pardon me while I stick to 10.6.

Yeah, I own several Macs, and Several PCs. I use Mac for everything but when it comes to work stuff I still use Microsoft's Products as my company is primarily based around Windows. I also spend time in Linux.

But then I also own an XBOX 360 and a PS3, so you're saying that by owning them I'm hurting my productivity as I have to press Option+F2 to change my iMac screen into a Badass 27" display when I could just have a PC and be 100% limited to PC Games and Windows Software?

Will the new "feature" be magical?

No .. the new feature will be ..

Substitute iPad for the new feature and 2010 for the year it comes out.

and the likes and frequently run heavily outdated software? Because the average PC user knows so well?

This is actually very common among large enterprises and so-called "power users." It's all about using the software that works best for you. Many large enterprises are still using Windows NT 4 or 2000, because it works with their applications and they would literally break if they tried to upgrade the OS. Same applies to power users.

Are you for real?! :laugh:

so why are mac users constantly bragging about dual booting windows?

Yeah, I own several Macs, and Several PCs. I use Mac for everything but when it comes to work stuff I still use Microsoft's Products as my company is primarily based around Windows. I also spend time in Linux.

But then I also own an XBOX 360 and a PS3, so you're saying that by owning them I'm hurting my productivity as I have to press Option+F2 to change my iMac screen into a Badass 27" display when I could just have a PC and be 100% limited to PC Games and Windows Software?

flawed reasoning here.

you obviously don't use mac for everything.

linux is still an enthusiast only OS, that few businesses are willing to invest resources into.

and what does ps3 or xbox have to do with productivity? and what's so limited about windows games and software? for example i can play a 12 year old game(sc1) on my current gen windows pc. can't do that on either xbox360 or ps3. last time i checked mac exclusive applications had sometimes superior windows equivalents. and there are plenty of windows apps that just don't have mac equivalents.

so what rational reasoning do you have for buying/using a mac at all?

and before you bring up the fact that you can quickly switch between your imac desktop and a console on the same screen, guess what, there are windows PCs that can do that too, that are also more affordable for similar functionality/capability.

flawed reasoning here.

you obviously don't use mac for everything.

linux is still an enthusiast only OS, that few businesses are willing to invest resources into.

and what does ps3 or xbox have to do with productivity? and what's so limited about windows games and software? for example i can play a 12 year old game(sc1) on my current gen windows pc. can't do that on either xbox360 or ps3. last time i checked mac exclusive applications had sometimes superior windows equivalents. and there are plenty of windows apps that just don't have mac equivalents.

so what rational reasoning do you have for buying/using a mac at all?

and before you bring up the fact that you can quickly switch between your imac desktop and a console on the same screen, guess what, there are windows PCs that can do that too, that are also more affordable for similar functionality/capability.

I don't know what your problem is, but your posts are very boring to read. If you don't like it, stay away.

"New Revolutionary" in Apple's terms means "Lets take an idea someone else already did, and put in our product and say we did it first."

+1 if your read past the headline thats what it is

Because its marketing. Because before, years ago, Macs used to be PPC Based and could not boot windows. Because transitioning to another system is nice to have someone hold your hand. Because not ALL business applications are ported to mac. And before you go saying "Why bother having a mac if you have to boot into windows anyways to run <X software>" Is not a valid argument. I'd rather have to dual boot windows to use that one application thats mandatory (business related reasons possibly?) and then go back and enjoy the rest of my experience in Mac Os X, than to just use windows. Blame the developers for that. I prefer to use Mac over windows because its ease of use, I enjoy the GUI a lot, I prefer how the system is layed out over windows, I find my work flow in Mac is significantly better, faster, and more enjoyable experience. Its not Mac OSX's fault because App X does not run on Mac, its the developers fault. I can do any and every basic operation a standard user can on windows, on Mac Os X. (Just to note, I am NOT bashing windows. I Do enjoy Windows 7 a lot)

Sometimes people want to play some games, and Windows is the only situation. I want to play a game so I dual boot windows.. but that doesnt mean I should give up the OS that I enjoy to use when I would only use windows for gaming. ANd now that Valve has released Steam and is promoting mac gaming (TF2 on mac anyone?) That issue of gaming will slowly disappear.

Constantly? Mac users? Bragging? I don't see any Mac users "constantly" "bragging" about dual-booting Windows. In fact, I'm a full-time Mac OS X user and I don't even have Windows installed on my Mac.

This is actually very common among large enterprises and so-called "power users." It's all about using the software that works best for you. Many large enterprises are still using Windows NT 4 or 2000, because it works with their applications and they would literally break if they tried to upgrade the OS. Same applies to power users.

I know and that wasn't what my reply was about.

Because its marketing. Because before, years ago, Macs used to be PPC Based and could not boot windows.

And before that Windows NT was Intel, PPC and.. I think SPARC based and could run on anything, even a Mac.

Maybe because the "average joe" mac user is not as smart as the "average joe" pc user.

The results of every survey or study that I've ever heard of say otherwise.

And before that Windows NT was Intel, PPC and.. I think SPARC based and could run on anything, even a Mac.

PowerPC versions of NT couldn't run on PowerPC Macs. They were targeted at IBM's PowerPC workstations, which were a different hardware platform. It is a common misconception that just because it supported the PowerPC processor that it would work on PowerMacs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Supported_platforms

Windows NT 3.1 was released for Intel x86 PC compatible, DEC Alpha, and ARC-compliant MIPS platforms. Windows NT 3.51 added support for the PowerPC processor in 1995, specifically PReP-compliant systems such as the IBM Power Series desktops/laptops and Motorola PowerStack series; but despite meetings between Michael Spindler and Bill Gates, not on the Power Macintosh as the PReP compliant Power Macintosh project failed to ship.

Usually it's in response to people talking about "mac users this" and "mac users that" "iSheep" "lolol iFail" "dumb mac users can't handle a PC" "one button mouse haha".

Sure there are lots of people that fall into the rabid fanboy category (on both sides actually). I use mac for some things, but I also use Windows on a custom built gaming rig. Both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses.

I personally like the way that I can get things done under OSX. It's not necessarily better, it's just different. I also like using it for development. In a way it's like linux but with much more polished software and really good manufacturer hardware support. I don't use it because it's "ooh shiney." If that's what you care about then Windows 7 has plenty.

For lots of situations though I like using my PC. Lots of specialized apps only run on Windows, and while I can dual boot it's nicer to have a dedicated machine for each. Also, while gaming on the Mac is getting better, the price for a gaming-performance Mac is a bit too steep for me.

I guess to sum things up, these threads always tend to be full of people making sweeping generalizations about the other side, and then people from both sides get mad because Neowinians tend not to fit into the "The vast majority of users" category.

It's funny though because I've never seen average Joe use it. Yet when Mac OS X Leopard was released average Joe did go out and buy an external drive for Time Machine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming in any way that Windows Backup is any harder to use than Time Machine or less effective. However, I just don't see people (especially the non-power users) actually using it.

Because he's just one of the many people here that tend to start blurting out silly things when Apple is involved? Just a guess and I wouldn't take it too seriously if I were you. ;)

I really doubt that. Most who cared enough to back up were backing up already using some other tools. They just switched to Time Machine when it came along. Those who didn't care to backup, I don't think they did.

Completely OT but:

I have had a recent experience which was in stark contrast to what most Apple biased users claim: that Apple makes things easy to use. Case in point: my mom.

My mom hardly ever uses a computer (my dad's PC) and her usage is limited to talking to me over Skype (dad initiates and ends the call - she just sits there). She has a basic Nokia cell phone and is pretty conversant with it. I handed over her my iPhone and she couldn't figure out how to make a call from the iPhone (I have a 3G). She didn't realize she could answer the phone by sliding that green arrow (yes she can read :p). On one other time, I unlocked the screen for her and asked to her to call my brother from home screen. I had to tell her to click the green phone icon to get into phone mode, then I showed my brother's name - she was still didn't get that she will need to touch his name and then touch one of his phone numbers to make a call. Conclusion: iPhone is not as user friendly (or intuitive) as we seemed to think (I thought it would be really easy for her!).

I'm not a malicious person but I hope somebody gets the job who can sneak a massive backdoor into the OS and kill it. This Apple is going rotten IMO.

Wow I actually thought the same thing.

+1 :)

Let me ask you, what can Windows do that Mac OS can't?

I don't have Windows installed on my Mac and don't think I'll ever have the need to. I did have it installed but I found that I never booted into it so I removed it and got myself some storage space back. Also Mac is way more intuitive and promotes productivity for me way more than Windows does.

Wouldn't buy an iPad ever because I would simply have no use for it. I bought a Mac based on rationality of how it has more polished hardware and a more preferable operating system.

I really doubt that. Most who cared enough to back up were backing up already using some other tools. They just switched to Time Machine when it came along. Those who didn't care to backup, I don't think they did.

I can give a similar example as you did: A good friend of the family always used Windows and never used any of its backup capabilities. When he switched to Mac back in 2008 and found out (by himself) about Time Machine he immediately bought an external HDD and started using the feature.

Next to that, I honestly don't know anyone who uses Windows' own backup features. But quite a few people I know do use Time Machine, not all of them, but quite a few.

I can give a similar example as you did: A good friend of the family always used Windows and never used any of its backup capabilities.

I do believe that from Windows Vista onward, shadow copies (also known as "Previous Versions") are enabled by default and you don't even have to anything. However, the biggest downside is that these backups are stored on the same hard drive, in a secured partition (at least by default.)

I do believe that from Windows Vista onward, shadow copies (also known as "Previous Versions") are enabled by default and you don't even have to anything. However, the biggest downside is that these backups are stored on the same hard drive, in a secured partition (at least by default.)

Oh that's brilliant having copies on the same drive... I honestly was really thinking about making secure backups onto a different drive. :p

Oh that's brilliant having copies on the same drive... I honestly was really thinking about making secure backups onto a different drive. :p

Previous Versions can't help with regard to hardware-based data loss, but it does help when a file or directory is accidentally deleted or overwritten. In certain regards, having an external drive does give you additional redundancy, but not everyone has an external backup that updates continuously (especially mobile users), and even fewer have off-site secure backup arrangements that function in real-time. Previous Versions covers you when you don't have secondary storage for backups, and at the same time, Previous Versions doesn't preclude or interfere in any way with off-disk backups, so I don't see a problem with using it, if the user understands its functions and limitations.

Is that why so many Windows computers are infected with viruses, spyware, adware and the likes and frequently run heavily outdated software? Because the average PC user knows so well?

Also to think Mac users follow everything Steve Jobs tells them to is so unbelievably simplistic it just amazes me.

Because OSX and Windows apps and viri are not cross platform, the Viri write is out to get the most infections possible, I seriously doubt he is going to waste his time for a small % of infections writing for OSX

And you can bet that IF and WHEN OSX becomes as numerous as windows PC's, that writers will shift their focus, because ATM very very view users of OSX run any type of security at all. Because people think " it doesn't get infected " myth is because of security, when it's actually because of popularity, OSX can and HAS gotten infections just as quickly as Windows, their are fewer ( I think 3 total are out there ATM ), because a writer isn't going to waste his time, he wants to make money, and the more hits he has out there, the higher chance to make money