Apple Creating Mysterious "New Revolutionary Feature" for OS X

Because OSX and Windows apps and viri are not cross platform, the Viri write is out to get the most infections possible, I seriously doubt he is going to waste his time for a small % of infections writing for OSX

Except for the fact Mac OS 9 had a much lower market share than Mac OS X does today, and yet it suffered from viruses.

FYI, that wasn't what my post was about... shakey claimed that PC users are smarter and much more aware of all the internet threads out there. I refute that claim considering many PCs out there are infected by viruses and spyware. It wasn't about whether Windows is safer than Mac OS X or not. For some reason I have to keep repeating myself here.

so I don't see a problem with using it, if the user understands its functions and limitations.

That's probably where the problem lies. :)

And you can bet that IF and WHEN OSX becomes as numerous as windows PC's, that writers will shift their focus, because ATM very very view users of OSX run any type of security at all. Because people think " it doesn't get infected " myth is because of security, when it's actually because of popularity, OSX can and HAS gotten infections just as quickly as Windows, their are fewer ( I think 3 total are out there ATM ), because a writer isn't going to waste his time, he wants to make money, and the more hits he has out there, the higher chance to make money

Source of information, please.

Except for the fact Mac OS 9 had a much lower market share than Mac OS X does today, and yet it suffered from viruses.

So what about OS9, I'm not saying that either OS9 or OSX are immune from viri, I'm saying that OSX is just as able to be infected as Windows. And infections that target or get in via 3rd party software I'm not including, as they are not Windows or OSX

I'm saying that OSX is just as able to be infected as Windows.

Do you have anything to backup that claim with?

According to you the only reason there aren't any Mac OS X viruses out in the wild is because of its lower market share. Apparently things don't fully work that way considering Mac OS 9 did suffer from wild viruses with a much lower market share.

Do you have anything to backup that claim with?

According to you the only reason there aren't any Mac OS X viruses out in the wild is because of its lower market share. Apparently things don't fully work that way considering Mac OS 9 did suffer from wild viruses with a much lower market share.

Secunia Osx section

Also do a google search for " OSX/ infection " yes keep the slash or put a period. You'll find RSplug, that hit last year as well as others

OSX.*** is the OS designator, same with w32. / win32 Windows 32 bit infection, w64. / win64 Is for 64 bit, and i think Lnx. Is Linux.

Edit its a slash not period, but i have seen labeled both slash and perioud

FYI, that wasn't what my post was about... shakey claimed that PC users are smarter and much more aware of all the internet threads out there. I refute that claim considering many PCs out there are infected by viruses and spyware. It wasn't about whether Windows is safer than Mac OS X or not. For some reason I have to keep repeating myself here.

That's probably where the problem lies. :)

Ahh I thought you were talking about security, my bad.

I don't believe one group is smarter then the other also

Someone told me online it is the ability for MAC OS X to run any Windows or Linux application natively on MAC OS without any emulation.

Linux is a possibility given that X11 is built into Mac OS X (although that is a form of emulation), but Windows simply can't be possible because a) I doubt Microsoft would ever allow it and b) Mac OS X would essentially have to be shipped with all the native Windows APIs. And then on top of that, would the applications have the look and feel of Windows or Mac OS X?

Basically, this is almost a technical impossibility and a legal no-no.

What if it is virtualized virtualization?

Wouldn't that fall under some degree of emulation, which this rumor claims isn't the case?

Unless Microsoft decides to just hand over all of its proprietary Windows APIs to Apple, I can't see this happening at all.

The thing is Apple does tend to make things work in a way everyone can use it and make things successful were other companies pretty much failed.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Where others fail, Apple succeeds. They really do see things in a different way.

Wouldn't that fall under some degree of emulation, which this rumor claims isn't the case?

Unless Microsoft decides to just hand over all of its proprietary Windows APIs to Apple, I can't see this happening at all.

I wasn't referring to OS X running Windows and Linux applications natively. That's not a possibility.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Where others fail, Apple succeeds. They really do see things in a different way.

Except when it comes to making iPod and iPhone cases.

because even apple fanboys who are willing to buy garbage like an ipad realize that they need windows to actually do stuff with their pc. other than tag their photo collection that is.

because if OSX is so great, why would you ever use windows after switching to a mac? if you have to so much as buy a copy of windows to dual boot with on your mac you might as well have just bought/built a windows pc and saved your time money and overall workflow for everything from light daily use to gaming to high end productivity.

you don't buy a mac based on rationality. you buy it(and it is entirely marketed upon) irrational things like fear(windows might get vriuses omg), status symbol(omg shiny white box!), etc etc. the ipad proves this, considering the level of functionality it provides.

Yes, I run Windows in VMware (Fusion). If I was on a Windows machine, I'd still be running Windows in VMware or Virtual PC. I need it mostly for testing various versions of Internet Explorer and for doing one thing OS X can't: running the VMware vSphere Client (which isn't exactly mission critical anyway, but whatever).

However, would I ever feel comfortable doing my whole job in Windows? No way. OS X is what I've used for 8 years now and it's what I know. It has similarity to Linux, which is indispensable for my work, while not actually being Linux (because, no matter what the Tuxites tell you, using any Linux every day really is impractical for a lot of things). Would switching back to Windows be impossible? No. Would I want to do it unless Ballmer & Co. really introduced something incredible? No. My job, Ruby on Rails development, is widely known to just be better on OS X. Many of the top RoR developers (and, I believe, all of the actual RoR dev team) use OS X, so all the good documentation and help you'll find is geared towards OS X.

I have no fear of viruses or hacking and no need to have a status symbol. However, I do like being efficient. I know that I can pay off a new Mac in about 20 hours of good work. That's a steal if I can hit the ground running when I open up the box.

Ahh I thought you were talking about security, my bad.

I don't believe one group is smarter then the other also

Nope, I wasn't talking about that at all. I can also say with complete honestly that me switching to Mac OS X had absolutely nothing to do with security on Windows. My Windows computer has always been free of virusses and spyware (obviously it did happen to me once or twice in my early computing days), so that was never a real issue. My mom however continuously found innovative new ways to annihilate her Windows-based computer so bringing her over to the Mac-side of things definitely saved me a lot of time. So far she hasn't been able to bring Mac OS X Leopard to its knees. Quite the achievement of my 2005 eMac. :laugh:

Windows fanboys (I'm not talking about you here) for whatever weird reason keep acting as if Mac users in general agree with everything Apple and more specifically Steve Jobs claim and don't have a mind of their own. My personal reasons for getting a Mac isn't per se the exact same list of stuff Apple puts up on their Switch page. What some also lack is the ability to understand it's a game called marketing companies play and take things way too personal, which I find laughable.

7,500 posts. :happy:

It's the 3D desktop.

Chances are high, but can't see how that would be 'revolutionary' really. More eyecandy (iCandy?), less screen space for real stuff?

I peg it to be a 2 button mouse. :whistle:

As cool as 3D is, I believe its still a gimmick, yes Avatar was awesome. But awesome enough for me to sit at home wearing glasses? Nah, only in a dark lit movie theater sir. It will take alot to reinvent the desktop.

The coolest 3D effect to come will be picture frames or newspapers..

Chances are high, but can't see how that would be 'revolutionary' really. More eyecandy (iCandy?), less screen space for real stuff?

It would be revolutionary if Apple manages to actually make it wore and turn it into something that will improve productivity. So far all the 3D desktops I've seen are pretty much counter productive and a huge strain on system resources.

That said I'm not entirely sure how much sense a 3D desktop environment makes on a 2D screen. I think would would be extremely difficult to make sure the OS turns into a cluttered mess where you lose control over things.

It would be revolutionary if Apple manages to actually make it wore and turn it into something that will improve productivity. So far all the 3D desktops I've seen are pretty much counter productive and a huge strain on system resources.

That said I'm not entirely sure how much sense a 3D desktop environment makes on a 2D screen. I think would would be extremely difficult to make sure the OS turns into a cluttered mess where you lose control over things.

I have no doubt you will be praising as the reinvention of 3d desktop and the second coming of Jesus if Apple comes out with it wink.gif

The fact this thread has "Mysterious", "Revolutionary" and the hype is already out there, there will be no way to calm down Apple cult no matter how cheesy the feature is.

I peg it to be a 2 button mouse. :whistle:

Way to be a few years behind.

The mighty mouse was the first "one button" mouse that used touch sensing to figure out which button you were clicking, left or right. The Magic Mouse does the same thing. Touchpads use two fingers for a right click.

I have no doubt you will be praising as the reinvention of 3d desktop and the second coming of Jesus if Apple comes out with it wink.gif

Like what you're doing when it comes to Flash? Nah, trust me, it won't be nearly that bad. I figured one member acting that way about something on Neowin is more than enough. ;)

Linux is a possibility given that X11 is built into Mac OS X (although that is a form of emulation), but Windows simply can't be possible because a) I doubt Microsoft would ever allow it and b) Mac OS X would essentially have to be shipped with all the native Windows APIs. And then on top of that, would the applications have the look and feel of Windows or Mac OS X?

Basically, this is almost a technical impossibility and a legal no-no.

You do realize there is a version of Wine for OS X, right? It's both possible and legal. I've used it in the past for several apps and it works just as well on OS X as it works on Linux (and despite what some people claim, it does run quite a bit of stuff).