Extreme Metal

Does anyone here listen to extreme metal? I label it "extreme" because metal fans seem to get too wound up in genres and subgenres. It can get fairly ridiculous at times. I enjoy a lot of Death metal and Grind-Core. Depending on the band, I do like some Death-Core and some Thrash. I am very picky with Thrash as it can start to sound monotonous. However, I've found several Thrash bands that are excellent and somewhat inventive: Light This City, Year of Desolation, and Revocation. Revocation being my favorite Thrash band hands down. Here is a list of some of my all time favorite bands.

The Red Chord

Strapping Young Lad

Acacia Strain

All Shall Perish

Beneath The Massacre

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza

A Black Rose Burial

The Faceless

Gojira

Cephalic Carnage

Vampire Moose

Job For A Cowboy

Pig Destroyer

Just to name a few.

100% agree!

I was on a metal forum a while back and generically categorized Gojira under "Death Metal" and I literally had half the forum bashing me. I mean seriously? I don't even understand it. I just want brutal music to listen to; I care not what you call it or categorize it in. Just turn it on and turn it up.

Wow - NONE of those bands are extreme metal. Half of them are industrial-thrash-grindcore-nu-death-black-doom. How do you not know your genres? ;)

Yeah, the genre thing gets under my skin as well. I just know what I like, and have no clue what category it falls into. As far as bands that I listen to that fall into the extreme metal category (I guess), I would say that I listen to the following semi-regularly:

Cannibal Corpse

Opeth

Meshuggah

Amon Amarth

BoltThrower

Unleashed

Gojira

Mastodon

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head...

Wow - NONE of those bands are extreme metal. Half of them are industrial-thrash-grindcore-nu-death-black-doom. How do you not know your genres? ;)

You'd be surprised at how many times I've been told that about the music I listen to. There are people that refuse to listen to any band that has sold more than 3 albums. That fourth album makes them mainstream and they are only allowed to record their music in a garage with an 8-track tape recorder using the on-board microphone.

Yeah, the genre thing gets under my skin as well. I just know what I like, and have no clue what category it falls into. As far as bands that I listen to that fall into the extreme metal category (I guess), I would say that I listen to the following semi-regularly:

Cannibal Corpse

Opeth

Meshuggah

Amon Amarth

BoltThrower

Unleashed

Gojira

Mastodon

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head...

Those are some great bands. Cannibal Corpse is more or less a staple in the Death Metal genre. I am definitely more of a George Fisher fan rather than Chris Barnes. That's just my opinion though. I saw Mastodon live but they were very, very boring and I actually ended up walking out halfway through their set. I was really disappointed as I had higher hopes for them. I love Meshuggah. One of my favorite memories is when I moved out of state and transfered to a new university. I had to get a signature from one of my professors for paperwork and I was meeting this professor for the first time. I walked into the room to see this 65 year old Biological Sciences professor jamming out to Meshuggah. Needless to say, he became one of my favorite professors.

i'd classify Gojira as sludge-metal :whistle: honestly though, i cant stand their songs - always heavy, dark, slow, 'sludgy'

idk if Divine Heresy is considered extreme, but their drummer is!

You'd be surprised at how many times I've been told that about the music I listen to. There are people that refuse to listen to any band that has sold more than 3 albums. That fourth album makes them mainstream and they are only allowed to record their music in a garage with an 8-track tape recorder using the on-board microphone.

Those are some great bands. Cannibal Corpse is more or less a staple in the Death Metal genre. I am definitely more of a George Fisher fan rather than Chris Barnes. That's just my opinion though. I saw Mastodon live but they were very, very boring and I actually ended up walking out halfway through their set. I was really disappointed as I had higher hopes for them. I love Meshuggah. One of my favorite memories is when I moved out of state and transfered to a new university. I had to get a signature from one of my professors for paperwork and I was meeting this professor for the first time. I walked into the room to see this 65 year old Biological Sciences professor jamming out to Meshuggah. Needless to say, he became one of my favorite professors.

I totally agree on the Fisher statement. His voice is MUCH better than Barnes, it seems to fit their music better. I only listen to Fisher-era CC.

I've also heard the same about Mastodon - many of my friends can't even get into them, and I really only like a few songs. That's awesome about your professor - Meshuggah rules. Anybody that listens to them can really appreciate metal.

I don't know if Opeth qualifies as 'Extreme Metal' but I can't seem to get enough of them lately. I've burnt out 3 months of emusic subscriptions downloading all of their albums. They never cease to amaze. FWIW, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are phenomenal.

I don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned some of the greats yet like Emperor, Burzum, Marduk, Stayricon, Hypocrisy, Immortal, Old Man's Child etc...

Some of my favorites :)

Immortal! Kings of Northern Darkness

immortal.jpg

TBH it's the only black metal band that I still listen to.

Check my last.fm to see what I usually listen.

And good thread! ;)

Some of my favorite bands are heavy, just no idea their genres but don't really care.

I love my heavy music.

Turmion Katilot ( USCH, Teurastaja 2 amazing songs )

The Duskfall - ( downright dreadful, and shallow end )

Heaven Shall Burn

Urkraft

Fear of Domination

Just curious, did anyone else get as angry as I did when Burn the Priest transformed into the band that is now Lamb of God? Lamb of God is okay (I'm not going to bash them even though I think their newer stuff is dreadful), but when they were Burn the Priest, they were downright phenomenal. Anyone else share this opinion?

Burn The Priest was alright. I feel that Lamb Of God really got their **** together once they put out New American Gospel. Everything after Ashes Of The Wake has been absolute garbage. They were on a roll then dropped the ball.

You want some br00tal tunes, Between The Buried And Me all the way. Hands down one of my favorite bands of all time. Every release they put out has topped the previous. And their set to record an EP this fall, so I can't wait to hear that.

Also if no one has had the chance, check out Levi/ Werstler's album Avalanche Of Worms. It's from the two guitarists of Daath. It's an instrumental album and is probably one of the best instrumental metal albums put out.

I've taken both of your suggestions, and plan on checking out Immortal. I had a buddy of mine try to push them on me a while back, but since they were 'black metal', I wasn't interested.

I'll have to give them a look. Thanks for the suggestion (Y)

If you want extreme you should look into Sunn 0))) and Earth. Devastatingly heavy and moody music.

I've recently been veering more into the drone area with Cult of Luna, Callisto and things like that.

Here are some regular players on my ipod atm:

Today Is The Day, Circle of Dead Children, Pig Destroyer, Maruta, Nasum, Hewhocorrupts, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Rotten Sound, Pigsty, Decrypt, Magrudergrind, Phobia, Insect Warfare, Discordance Axis, Misery Index, Kill the Client, Putrid Pile, Brutal Truth, Weekend Nachos, Cephalic Carnage, **** the Facts, Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus, Captain Cleanoff, Total ****ing Destruction.... okay so it was more than I had planned. There's some more goodies at my home, I like my grind a bit.

You want some br00tal tunes, Between The Buried And Me all the way. Hands down one of my favorite bands of all time. Every release they put out has topped the previous. And their set to record an EP this fall, so I can't wait to hear that.

I enjoy Between The Buried And Me every once in a while but I somewhat lost interest in them when I found the Red Chord. It was the same chaos and great music without the singing. I don't know what it is but I hate singing and BTBAM has it. Like I said, I still listen to them, I just don't keep them in my main rotation.

Behemoth & Meshuggah fit extreme metal's definition perfectly. Go listen to any black or death metal band & then listen to these two. You will figure out why extreme is different.

Behemoth & Meshuggah fit extreme metal's definition perfectly. Go listen to any black or death metal band & then listen to these two. You will figure out why extreme is different.

Love Meshuggah - still trying to get in to Behemoth (even though my name may suggest something different). I do like some of what I have heard from them.

I've taken both of your suggestions, and plan on checking out Immortal. I had a buddy of mine try to push them on me a while back, but since they were 'black metal', I wasn't interested.

I'll have to give them a look. Thanks for the suggestion (Y)

:D

It's a great band.

immortal.jpg

^^Thanks for the previous suggestions for Immortal - I bought 'Sons of Northern Darkness' and 'All Shall Fall', both amazing albums.

^ I am a bit the same :( .... I remember back to living at home buying a cd or 3 every week. Give Burzum and Satyricon a go if you haven't already. I would highly recommend the album 'Rebel Extravaganza' album by Satyricon. You could even get the Roadkill Extravaganza DVD to get a feel for the band. It's more of a documentary really but well worth the watch for any black metal lover. I own it on VHS, yes VHS!