How Bing is out-innovating Google

I think the user votes on this thread also clearly show what people think about this topic.

User votes on a Microsoft oriented forum in a thread populated by the usual trolling herd. :rolleyes:

All the "innovation" in the world does mean anything if your searches don't return useful links. Google, in my opinion, still leads the pack in search result relevance.

Agreed. Bing doesn't give me the results I'm looking for, Google does.

Both engines give me bad results most of the time anyway. For example, you want to buy some transformers that aren't robots from cybertron. And of course both give you an onslaught of crappy blogs no matter what you're looking for. They need an option to filter out blogs entirely.

When buying transformers you need to know the wattage (or the voltage/ampage) anyway (otherwise your tf could be pointless)

For example, "buy transformers" leads to links about the cartoon show by and large. However, "buy transformer 300w" brings me some really great results on where to buy 300w transformers.

I kind of know where you're coming from but Google is only a search engine, not a sentient psychic lifeform - use generic terms and it'll just return what's more popular, it can't guess what you actually mean.

Julios Caro, even Yahoo's filtering feature is called SafeSearch, guess it's become a generic term. As for Bing having the same settings page as Google, I think it was done to make the transition easier for people coming from Google, it has nothing to do with copying features.

Well, duh, that's copying.

http://www.google.co...le+acquisitions

Funny thing, those freebase results BING gives you now belong to google!

lol wow. And just a year ago they decided to partner with Bing. Freebase makes the experience so much better on Bing imo, it looks like Microsoft is going to have to create their own version of freebase that is unless Google let's microsoft use the data.

It's actually called "Safe Search". and I mean what else would you call it. it's a safe search, to filter out unsafe crap... lets make new words because someone else has used it...

I do like how lechio has adblocked the sponsored links in Google to make it seems better and safe. while ONLY showing sponsored links in Bing. Talk about going to extremes to prove your point. fabricating evidence for a Internet forum argument....

No. It's called "SafeSearch", not "Safe Search"., or "Parental controls". SafeSearch without the space.

My point was, Google did it it first, and Bing copied the page and feature name. And these companies sue themselves all the time over stuff like this. Though I guess microsoft and google keep it classy, whereas Apple would sue anybody for planting an 'i' before something, or having something that remotely looks like an apple in your logo, or for selling apples, which wouldn't surprise me at this point.

No. It's called "SafeSearch", not "Safe Search"., or "Parental controls". SafeSearch without the space.

My point was, Google did it it first, and Bing copied the page and feature name. And these companies sue themselves all the time over stuff like this. Though I guess microsoft and google keep it classy, whereas Apple would sue anybody for planting an 'i' before something, or having something that remotely looks like an apple in your logo, or for selling apples, which wouldn't surprise me at this point.

In terms of UI design I think Google and Microsoft come to their own conclusion independently. I watched a presentation from one of the Bing guys and he talked about all of the testing they did before changing the UI and the progress they made from start to finish. To me that shows that rather than just looking at google and copying, Microsoft independently discovered what UI worked. Google and Bing now have a similar UI because from their own market research the UI they have is what they see as one of the best. This is why ad placement is similar in both Google and Bing and most likely why there is now a sidebar in Bing and Google.

Search for "realtek high definition audio"

Google, first results for the search term:

post-52106-12808632310532.jpg

Bing!, first result for the search term (advertised spyware, spam websites):

post-52106-12808632434057.jpg

I see what you did there....

1. You either snipped or ad-blocked your google search. It's mysteriously missing the Google sponsored links.

2. You labeled every shopping site as "spyware." Guess what? Those same links come up in the Google sponsored links.

I see now that what you say isn't being accepted you've resorted to the standard "Microsoft trolls" meme. Sorry, that just doesn't fly... You have nothing to back up your claims because they're false.

I use Bing all the time - I find it *way* more relevant than Google.

Oh, and their map site(especially the one in beta) blows Google Maps out of the water.

For example, I did a test to determine the traffic accuracy of both Bing and Google - I listened to the traffic reports on the radio (as well as watched the live traffic cams on Bing Maps - very handy app, BTW) and looked at Bing and Google - at least in my location, Google failed miserably - there was a major accident on a freeway and traffic was backed up for quite a distance, and yet Google said the traffic was just fine. Bing nailed it, and even had a little notification with the summary of the accident. I repeated this test numerous times, and had the same result.

Also, in the new beta (special link here, requires Silverlight 4.0), in the map options, click "dynamic (beta)". You can then click on cities, regions, parks, whatever, and it will dynamically scale all the labels and zoom to that location. The experience is 1000X improved over Google's jarring experience zooming in/out and waiting for the tiles to load.

All the "innovation" in the world does mean anything if your searches don't return useful links. Google, in my opinion, still leads the pack in search result relevance.

this this this

nope, space over here.

To all those people complaining about how Bing gives less relevant results than Google: when was the last time you gave Bing a serious look? Can you give any real-life examples where Bing performs significantly worse than Google? I know that Bing is the upstart competitor to the established champion, and to win it really needs to outperform Google by a margin, but come on: even if it hasn't accomplished that yet, it's not as bad as you all say, on the vast majority of my searches it performs just as well as Google does.

User votes on a Microsoft oriented forum in a thread populated by the usual trolling herd. :rolleyes:

I LOLed. Talk about an overwhelmingly apt definition for "butthurt", you're just the perfect synonym for it!

There's a website that shows side by side search results for bing and google. I believe it's called bingle.com or something to that effect.

If you want to see which pulls "better" results, I suggest using this

Are you sure you're using the silverlight version and not the AJAX one? If you're running silverlight you should see the map-apps towards the bottom left.

This link should take you to the silverlight version, I put the photosynth app on top of it all as an example of one of the apps.

Im running the silverlight version, today the maps just looks diffrent to me then that did in the past and even yesterday, ill screenshot it

post-128608-12808853651205.png

the overal all maps lokks diffrent to me, i know just yesterday the streets was done in yello and such, today its purple and the even named the areas and such diffrent, notihng major, but its a new look

appears they did roll out an update: Read here and Here

Im running the silverlight version, today the maps just looks diffrent to me then that did in the past and even yesterday, ill screenshot it

post-128608-12808853651205.png

the overal all maps lokks diffrent to me, i know just yesterday the streets was done in yello and such, today its purple and the even named the areas and such diffrent, notihng major, but its a new look

appears they did roll out an update: Read here and Here

The screenshot you just took is not the Silverlight Bing Maps, click on the "Try it Now" link right underneath the directions. Bing also changed their map colors yesterday too.

Google FTW. Bing! is only good for advertisers, spam sites and spyware. Most of the results on Bing! return just that, with the intended site being quite down the list.

This "article" has everything but objectivity, just another praise the Microsoft advertising machine.

Oh god, you and your pathetic anti-Microsoft garbage. Don't you get bored of it? I mean, really, don't you ever tire of spewing out all your crap?

In terms of UI design I think Google and Microsoft come to their own conclusion independently. I watched a presentation from one of the Bing guys and he talked about all of the testing they did before changing the UI and the progress they made from start to finish. To me that shows that rather than just looking at google and copying, Microsoft independently discovered what UI worked. Google and Bing now have a similar UI because from their own market research the UI they have is what they see as one of the best. This is why ad placement is similar in both Google and Bing and most likely why there is now a sidebar in Bing and Google.

The ad placement was always like that on Google (some sponsored links before the results, and some on the right). And google had a sidebar on the left too, before they changed it to what it looks like now.

Microsoft independently discovered what UI worked the best AFTER google already had 90% of it in place for years?

I dont really care if google copies bing, or if bing copies google. I like innovation and competence drives innovation a lot better than a monopoly. So I'm glad Bing exist, and I'm glad people are free to use whatever they want.

That said, it doesnt look really well when people say bing is super innovative when its reason of existence is google. It was shaped after google, and like someone said, they "used" most of google's already established UI to "ease" customers into using bing. Call it what you may, it's still copying. I'm not saying it is good or bad, but let's not be delusional here.