Ubuntu 10.04 just.. .. works..?..

you can customize ubuntu easily without needing to know technical matters. use the software center and you can change the theme to your taste. with ubuntu you can change it unlike Windows which is not done so easily and the apps to change it all cost money.

I tried Ubuntu-Tweak and it didn't really bring anything to the table to be honest... :wacko:

I've seen that, but I like the theme and wanna keep that. It's just things like the way toolbars work and other tweaks here and there I'd like to change.

I don't like toolbars on every Window, pretty much. Wastes space as it's rarely used. I'd like either a way to show it by pressing alt (like Windows), or just have one toolbar on the main Gnome toolbar like OS X's Apple Menu.

You don't have to stick with Gnome if it doesn't meet your tastes, you can try out KDE, XFCE, Openbox, or one of the many tiling window managers.

Most of these can be installed by Synaptic or the Software Center, whatever it's called now. I think you might dig the looks and functionality of XFCE. KDE 4.x has a very 'Windows Aero' feel to it, but a lot of people like it. Openbox is light and very fast, and there are tons of themes available..or you could take the plunge to a tiler like Awesome, DWM, WMii, Xmonad, etc...

Awesome ftw. ;)

If you know what to expect with Ubuntu, you'll probably feel a lot less disappointed when you get it up and running.

If you expect it to be equal with--or superior to-Windows, you'll end up disappointed and probably delete it.

For what it is, it's a pretty damn good distro. It's nothing you'd expect to see in a store next to Windows 7, but

for anyone who's tired of the hassles that come with Windows, it's fun to play with for a while.

I had only one issue with ubuntu 10.04, it didn't turn off built-in laptop speakers after pluggin in headphones, quite annoying :/

i have this same problem with 10.04, it's one of the main reasons i'm not using it

As long as we're in a Linux topic, I never ever understood why on earth do the fonts look so damn crappy compared to Windows. That's my main reason for not using Linux more often. I really, REALLY hate the font rendering, or whatever the problem is. I'm asking in all seriousness, why?! Is it so hard to replicate Clear-type or there's a different issue here? blink.gif

As long as we're in a Linux topic, I never ever understood why on earth do the fonts look so damn crappy compared to Windows.
I must be blind as a bat because I dont have any problems with fonts including using the defaults yet everybody else seems to complain about them

Must admit, the two years i've been using linux distro's i have never noticed any problems with the fonts. Do these people complaining about fonts have correct resolution and aspect ratio set?

I would say the fonts are satisfactory but they aren't great.

It's more to do with how they're smoothed more than anything - it has improved in Ubuntu but they could still do with some work.

You can't beat fonts like Helvetica. :p

only thing keeping myself from a permanent *nix distribution, is the lack of WIFI support for most cards...(oh, and the lack of updates for firefox)...if I wanted to use Windows drivers, I'd just use Windows. Much easier then trying to hack in a driver for a different OS...(ndiswrapper for example)...if I wanted to use everything Windows (drivers included) then I simply will, because the learning curve is much more shallow...for me, until there are open-source drivers available for wifi, that works with my hardware, then forget that! When I can boot from a Live-CD and....all...ALL....of my hardware works correctly, then that's the day I switch!

I have a PS3, so my gaming needs are seen to there.

On a raw Ubuntu install, I first get the Medibuntu repo and the Ubuntu partner bit sorted:

Medibuntu (go to the terminal):

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

And add at the bottom:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free

# deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ lucid free non-free

-

Then type in the terminal this:

wget -q -O- http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg | sudo apt-key add -

Note: the quote above is not right as it is collapsed by Neowin's system. It should read:

wget -q -O- http://packages.medibuntu.org/

medibuntu-key.gpg | sudo apt-key add -

WITHOUT the space/return between the ".org/" and the "medibuntu-" bits.

And hit "enter".

---

Add the following to Software Sources (System--Admin--Software Sources) (you can tick this box):

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner

And then I just copy and paste the following into a terminal to get the rest of the software I like:

sudo apt-get install xaralx xaralx-examples xaralx-svg inkscape httrack httrack-doc pdfedit agave granule ntp lbreakout2 audacity glipper keepassx transcriber gftp-gtk planner mencoder scribus scribus-doc scribus-template ubuntu-restricted-extras dia-gnome fontforge mscore soundconverter gramps antiword brightside potrace w64codecs libdvdcss2 openclipart dvdrip dvdrip-doc gnucash gnucash-docs gparted solfege file-browser-applet cheese music-applet openoffice.org-base mp3splt ardour realplayer vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc freemind gambas2 rawstudio bibus pspp avidemux wordplay openoffice.org-wiki-publisher openoffice.org-evolution sound-juicer picard devede wordnet-base wordnet-sense-index wordnet pdfsam kompozer glabels acidrip gutenbrowser bluefish emacs wine disc-cover winff artha flashplugin-nonfree rednotebook tuxguitar p7zip-full arj lha unace ncompress rss-glx xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra transmageddon fontforge-extras mp3splt-gtk googleearth acetoneiso gedit-plugins contacts fotoxx cups-pdf compizconfig-settings-manager non-free-codecs blogtk qalculate-gtk fortune-mod fortunes fortunes-es fortunes-es-off fortunes-debian-hints timer-applet gimp albumshaper gnome-games app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu pingus chromium-browser skype tofrodos ogmrip gnome-alsamixer gnome-themes gnome-themes-more gnome-themes-extras alltray gnote shotwell banshee bsdgames bsdgames-nonfree emacs-goodies-el gnome-games-extra-data community-themes human-theme maelstrom flight-of-the-amazon-queen beneath-a-steel-sky defendguin gimp-plugin-registry recordmydesktop gtk-recordmydesktop rakarrack gtans tetzle grsync

This is a lot of stuff, but it's what I do and what I want on my machine. You can always remove individual packages at the terminal by typing:

sudo apt-get remove [package name]

Then, for luck, type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

This will remove any dependencies on packages you don't want or need.

Glad to hear Ubuntu works for you!

I must be blind as a bat because I dont have any problems with fonts including using the defaults yet everybody else seems to complain about them

Yes, what's that all about, I wonder? I have always had crisp, clear fonts on Linux. What is going on here?

Yes, what's that all about, I wonder? I have always had crisp, clear fonts on Linux. What is going on here?

Same here - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. My fonts look great. :)

Same here - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. My fonts look great. :)

Seriously, it's been great since I started with Feisty Fawn on at least five computers. I'd like to see some screenshots of these "horrible" fonts. :sleep:

Ive just installed Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook remix on my laptop and found that you can also start a normal Gnome session as well as the Netbook remix one !

Why didnt they just include the Netbook remix session with the normal Ubuntu 10.04 Distro ?

Is there a difference between them ?

If you like Google Chrome, check it out in Ubuntu. It is my favorite browser on any platform.

Yes, it's great! And I can use the open-source version Chromium as well as Chrome (Chromium with a few bits added by Google to serve their business model more). Google have gone all out for the browser (Chrome/Chromium) and phone (Android) market with their take on Linux and open source. I just got a cool HTC Evo 4G phone with Android. And who knows what Google's OS will do? The future is open! :)

I think the problem with font rendering has to do with patented technologies currently held by other major companies. Apple and Microsoft have their own font rendering technology that they use in their OSes that can't be licensed out for legal or financial reasons, so independent Linux developers kind of have to make their own to compete with them. If they had rights to legally utilize that technology, of course they would. But it probably wouldn't look good for them to borrow technology from their rivals.

Seriously, it's been great since I started with Feisty Fawn on at least five computers. I'd like to see some screenshots of these "horrible" fonts. :sleep:

You and me both.

It's all subjective, I'd show you a font I deem horrible and you will disagree, haha.

For example the font called 'Sans', and FreeSans.

There's just something 'off' about them..

I agree that the default Sans font in Ubuntu is pretty ugly.

I use Droid Sans, and I like it much better. It's a free TTF font you can download almost anywhere.