Ubuntu 10.04 just.. .. works..?..

Farstrider

I think the problem with font rendering has to do with patented technologies currently held by other major companies. Apple and Microsoft have their own font rendering technology that they use in their OSes that can't be licensed out for legal or financial reasons, so independent Linux developers kind of have to make their own to compete with them. If they had rights to legally utilize that technology, of course they would. But it probably wouldn't look good for them to borrow technology from their rivals.

If you really want/need Microsoft fonts use this!

The True-type Microsoft fonts provided by the package include:

* Andale Mono

* Arial Black

* Arial (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Comic Sans MS (Bold)

* Courier New (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Georgia (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Impact

* Times New Roman (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Trebuchet (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Verdana (Bold, Italic, Bold Italic)

* Webdings

$sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

This will give you the core fonts, but if there are other True-type fonts that you want installed, it is as easy as copying the font files to the ~/.fonts/ directory.

After installing new fonts, you will have to log out and log in again to be able to see and use the new fonts. If you want to avoid this, you can regenerate the fonts cache by issuing the following command:

$sudo fc-cache -fv

soldier1st

the fonts seem fine to me. patents are the true evil and they should be destroyed.

inferniac

the fonts seem fine to me. patents are the true evil and they should be destroyed.

No they shouldn't, it would slow down technology development if you couldn't make money off new ideas, but they should make the time patents last shorter (it's ~20 years now I think).

On topic: :laugh: fonts on ubuntu seem fine to me

virgo89

There was a problem which I couldn't fix for the past 3 releases of ubuntu. Even people at the ubuntu forums gave up on finding a solution.

But on 10.04 that problem doesn't exist. It seems to be fixed now.

I have no idea how they made this release so stable...EVERYTHING works!

ichi

Is there any way to get the toolbar to behave like OS X's Apple Menu? I'd rather have one single toolbar instead of one on every Window. The main GNOME one seems like wasted space for the most part, just 3 items and 2 little icons.

Look for Gnome Global Menu. I think it can be installed from Synaptic if you enable third party repositories in Ubuntu Tweak.

virgo89

YEAH!

Before I had to install pysdm to get my media hard drive to automount.

For example, if I had a picture from media HD that I was using as a background in ubuntu and I restarted my computer then the screen would be just white (no background)

But if I mounted the media HD the background would come back as my ubuntu background automatically.

What I was saying before was in ubuntu 10.04 this problem is no longer an issue for me.

polmak

Only show stopper for me still is no matter what Canonical or Ubuntu forums says 10.4 DOES NOT SUPPORT the SB X-FI Xtreme cound card "out of the box", since Intrepid I have been running Ubuntu in a VM because of this :(

+jamesyfx

Look for Gnome Global Menu. I think it can be installed from Synaptic if you enable third party repositories in Ubuntu Tweak.

I tried the addon, but it only seems to work for the Desktop, and no applications.

:[ Must be a really early WIP.

Phixion

Seriously, if you think the fonts are bad in Ubuntu now you shoulda seen em a few years back. I haven't had Ubuntu installed on my system for a while but from some of the screenshots it's clear they've worked on them alot, they seem to look alot better than they used to!

Scorbing

What's going on? I installed Ubuntu 10 just to see how it's improved since previous versions and it automatically picked up every single driver for my laptop, including the multimedia keys, and even sleep/wake mode works perfectly well.

I've had nothing but trouble with every version of Linux, including Mint - I've always had to connect to Ethernet and grab stuff like Wifi and Webcam drivers.. but not this time.

I'm just quite impressed, and I'm going to keep it. It's either use this or go back to Windows Vista. :p

Any tips for a new user of Ubuntu? I've just used it straight out of the box and there are some things I'd like to alter. Like the way the 'toast' notifications display (they appear too far down and take too long to disappear) and any software I may be missing out on? I'd primarily use this system for FTP transfers and editing HTML documents.

... That makes 2 Linux users in this house now. :p There's only one Windows PC left in this house! We're a Mac and Linux family. :laugh:

Dude I have NEVER been a Linux user or lover...ever, and I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop just for the hell of it since I was very disappointed with previous versions of it. I must say I am impressed!. This thing flies!!!!

I like it...

Behemoth

^^Glad to hear. (Y)

+jamesyfx

Dude I have NEVER been a Linux user or lover...ever, and I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop just for the hell of it since I was very disappointed with previous versions of it. I must say I am impressed!. This thing flies!!!!

I like it...

Yay. It is impressive.

sanctified

Using Ubuntu Netbook edition on my netbook. I will just say: First linux distro I've used for more than a month. Ubuntu 10.04 is maybe the distro the linux community needs as its poster child.

Scorbing

Using Ubuntu Netbook edition on my netbook. I will just say: First linux distro I've used for more than a month. Ubuntu 10.04 is maybe the distro the linux community needs as its poster child.

Ubuntu is heading on the right direction. Every release just keeps getting better and better, even though I have to be honest, I hated the previous releases before this one. This version is different though. It is fast, stable, easy to use. It's just awesome. I am thinking about building a PC just for this. I really like it. I do. Microsoft and Apple better watch out because if Ubuntu keeps going the way it is, they are going to have some serious competition in the future. They better start taking Ubuntu seriously.

+jamesyfx

I still think Ubuntu has a way to go, but in my experience a good Linux is more about covering up all the stuff people used to love Linux for, like the CLI and config files. :p

Scorbing

I still think Ubuntu has a way to go, but in my experience a good Linux is more about covering up all the stuff people used to love Linux for, like the CLI and config files. :p

Oh I agree. They have a long way to go before they start to take them seriously or see them as a threat, but they are getting there. Ubuntu is getting better and better from what I can see. Let's hope they stay in that direction.

bjoswald

Best thing that has happened to Linux in a long time. Ubuntu actually put Linux back on the map.

As long as they don't get too big for their britches and stretch themselves too thin (i.e. pleasing everyone), I don't think any other distro comes close.

Unkoil

I've been using Ubuntu since 10.04 came out... and I've only used Windows 7 once since...

I'm digging deeper down the rabbit hole called Linux and I'm quite enjoying it... :D

when I get comfortable I'm going to move onto a more advanced linux flavor.

Behemoth

I've been using Ubuntu since 10.04 came out... and I've only used Windows 7 once since...

I'm digging deeper down the rabbit hole called Linux and I'm quite enjoying it... :D

when I get comfortable I'm going to move onto a more advanced linux flavor.

Might I suggest Crunchbang Linux as your next step? I used all of the big boys before Crunchbang came out, and have been using it exclusively since. It's considered a distro for intermediate users.

The first two versions were based on Ubuntu (8.04 and 9.04), replacing Gnome with Openbox and using almost a third of the amount of RAM at boot. Once you get used to Openbox, it's really fast and lightweight, and Crunchbang takes advantage of the same GTK apps Gnome uses.

The latest version is based on Debian Sid, which is extremely stable, although some of the packages are outdated, albeit stable.

andy_rose

Yeah, been using Ubuntu a couple of months now, and I love it.

A couple of quirks here and there, like when using nautilus-elementary, the shadows around the right-click context menus are gone. No biggie, but kinda annoying :D

Phixion

Ubuntu has been leading the Linux distro race for a few years now. I find it amusing that for Linux to reach a bigger userbase it has to make itself more and more like Windows with every release.

ichi

Ubuntu has been leading the Linux distro race for a few years now. I find it amusing that for Linux to reach a bigger userbase it has to make itself more and more like Windows with every release.

How is 10.04 any more like Windows than, say, 8.04?