What's up with these cartoon level games nowadays, huh?

Blame World of Warcraft. Worst art design of the past decade. But the addictive gameplay of "digital crack" has made this "look" ubiquitous.

Blame World of Warcraft. Worst art design of the past decade. But the addictive gameplay of "digital crack" has made this "look" ubiquitous.

you mean warcraft 3 or 2 or 1 which originally had that look? especially 3...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I can't wait either! Those videos don't do the game justice. I say that as there is a big difference between me watching and me actually playing hands on. It's almost aggravating to watch others play and circle about, missing treasure boxes, leaving an enemy alive and such. :p

I never played Torchlight before so today, i pre-purchased the second one, so i'd get the first one free. Only ?2 more.

So far i'm quite enjoying it but the combat is a bit annoying. I'm right in thinking that mashing the mouse button is the way to go? I seem to always miss or run past them :laugh:

Still fun though. Loot is fun, especially when you can send a pet off to sell it.

Came back home from work. First thing I did when I set in front of the computer? Fired up the game for a quick game.

What I saw when trying to login? This, for at least five minutes: http://i.imgur.com/FpKYV.jpg (Ignore the cat. For some reason, my second monitor was captured too).

Come on Torchlight 2, I expected better from you after that Diablo 3 login issue :( .... But hey, at least there's an offline mode. Still sad that I can't play with friends or people online in general.

This thread serves 2 purposes. #1 to see how people are liking Torchlight 2 so far. #2 how they like it campared to Diablo 3.

I for one am having a great time so far in T2. It seems so much more polished than the original. All I can say about Diablo 3 ios I haven't launched it in weeks.

Is this game better than Diablo III?

Yes, much much better. I'd go so far as to call it the pinnacle of the Diablo-style genre so far. Great loot, smooth and visceral combat, a proper offline mode, tons of replayability, and only $20.

Came back home from work. First thing I did when I set in front of the computer? Fired up the game for a quick game.

What I saw when trying to login? This, for at least five minutes: http://i.imgur.com/FpKYV.jpg (Ignore the cat. For some reason, my second monitor was captured too).

Come on Torchlight 2, I expected better from you after that Diablo 3 login issue :( .... But hey, at least there's an offline mode. Still sad that I can't play with friends or people online in general.

It's a 32 person team, i didn't really except a flawless online launch. If blizzard can't handle a ton of players trying to log in at once, i don't expect an indie dev to. Good news is, characters from offline mode carry over into online mode.

They're both good for different reasons. This thread is likely to just be one big spam-fest, and it's pointless. Just enjoy the game you like....

Edit: This is coming from someone who owns but doesn't like Diablo 3. Before you all jump on me for trying to keep the peace for biased reasons.

Any recommendations on Engineer skills? I generally play on my own and during the beta I enjoyed the construction tree with a cannon weapon, but things have changed quite a bit and given that you can only refund 3 skill points I am afraid to spend them somewhere, not like it later on, and be unable to go back and try something different.

On the flip side, being that character storage is local, I'm sure people will come out with character editors that at the very least would let you reset your skill points (all of them, not just the last 3 spent).....though this local storage system (which can be used online and in lan) just asks to be abused with hacked characters.

EDIT: It's ashame the TL2 forums are down, that's where I learned about a lot of the skills and what works and what doesn't during the beta. Hopefully they get them working soon (though a dev team of 33 isn't very big, they seem to care about the issues and aren't going to take off over the weekend just cause it's the weekend).

They're both good for different reasons. This thread is likely to just be one big spam-fest, and it's pointless. Just enjoy the game you like....

Edit: This is coming from someone who owns but doesn't like Diablo 3. Before you all jump on me for trying to keep the peace for biased reasons.

I hope not. I had hoped to get more impressions from T2 and whether people still play D3 because of it. I'm having great fun with T2. I'm early on and can't decide between Berserker and Embermage..

Torchlight 2 has music by freakin' Matt Uelmen (Diablo, Diablo 2). That's reason enough to prefer it to just about any other game in my book. And it's all available for free: http://www.torchligh...-ii-soundtrack/

I'd like to grab the soundtrack but it seems there site is down. Guess I'll have to check back later.

Diablo 3 is a great game. It has flaws but it's getting fixed, and will get better and better. Blizzard has this reputation: They continue to support and enhance their games for a long time. As a matter of fact, Diablo II is still receiving patches and enhancements. I can understand the critics the game received in its initial form. The replay value was poor, and the stupid drop rate system didn't help. It's getting fixed. Still not perfect but it's better

Torchlight is another beast. Judging by the first one, it will have a lot of similarities with Diablo 2. It's a well known receipe and it works.

Diablo III isn't a game but an on-line service crippled by stupid DRM and a ridiculous "virtual economy" that destroys the meaning of the game existence itself.

Conversely, as far as I can tell (I've yet to try the game), Torchlight is "just" a very refined and well-developed arpg from the Diablo original makers. It's a game, not a service, so it will probably be worth my money countless times more that the aforementioned on-line service crapness of Diablo III.

I'd like to grab the soundtrack but it seems there site is down. Guess I'll have to check back later.

You can download the soundtrack from Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.c...ht-2-soundtrack

EDIT: For the OP, have you seen the following article yet:

http://www.techspot.com/review/576-torchlight2-vs-diablo3/

I actually enjoy diablo 3 now... and just don't want to put in the effort into another "Diablo" type of game at the moment. Especially with Borderlands 2 being released and just as epic as could be.

I was playing D3 for about 2 hours a day at least up until this Tuesday. Haven't touched it since.