virtualdub on a quad core

okay, so i am trying to use virtualdub and it only ever uses 15% of my total cpu, since my cpu has 8 threads and its only using 1 thread

i do have around 40 movies (avisynth scripts, actually) which each take around an hour on average to finish like that, i would really like to speed this up?

i am thinking that there is a tool out there which batch-runs virtualdub files in parallel

surely by now, people are already taking advantage of multi threaded computers with virtualdub??

Have you tried eRightsoft's Super?

When I do encodes with it, it generally uses all 4 cores...

Then again, it depends on the content im encoding. Some use all 8 cores, some use 4, and some use 2.

Have you tried eRightsoft's Super?

When I do encodes with it, it generally uses all 4 cores...

Then again, it depends on the content im encoding. Some use all 8 cores, some use 4, and some use 2.

the problem is not the encoder, its the avisynth scripts which are strictly single threaded... i would like to encode 8 movies at once, if thats possible? like other than the obvious way of running 8 instances of the same program..

the problem is not the encoder, its the avisynth scripts which are strictly single threaded... i would like to encode 8 movies at once, if thats possible? like other than the obvious way of running 8 instances of the same program..

Encoding 8 (different) movies at once would probably make your hard drive the bottleneck. One movie at 8 times the speed, would be much better.

Well you can run multiple instances of VirtualDub and set the "Processor Affinity" of each process to a different core in Task Manager.

Encoding 8 (different) movies at once would probably make your hard drive the bottleneck. One movie at 8 times the speed, would be much better.

each of the movies i have is recorded at a low frame rate, and im using a filter to generate new frames to make it a smooth high framerate

this takes alot of processing, but avisynth only ever uses 15% of my cpu... there is hardly any hard disk activity , either

fyi i am also using this version of avisynth http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152800 , there doesnt seem to be any sort of multithreading effect even tho they say its meant to be multithreaded

okay, it seems that the job control (press f4 in virtualdub) carries over between virtualdub instances... all i have to do is click the 'start' button and the current instance of virtualdub will start working on the next job in the list, then when it finishes it will look further down for any jobs which are not being worked on (by the other virtualdub instances)

at least i hope it works that way...