Projector Idea

Would it make sense to buy both an hd and sd projector. My reasoning is that by watching sd content on an sd projector I could save the lamp life of my hd projector. I am a heavy movie watcher and most of what I watch is only available in sd(mst3k,older movies,etc). The difference in lamp replacements costs between the 2 is huge. Or is it smarter to just replace lamps as they burn out on the hd projector.Thanks

Would it make sense to buy both an hd and sd projector. My reasoning is that by watching sd content on an sd projector I could save the lamp life of my hd projector. I am a heavy movie watcher and most of what I watch is only available in sd(mst3k,older movies,etc). The difference in lamp replacements costs between the 2 is huge. Or is it smarter to just replace lamps as they burn out on the hd projector.Thanks

What would you save though?

I mean an average projector lamp lifespan is about 3-4000 hours. Some might be a bit lower so between 2000-3000 hours.

The thing is.. those lamps are not "that" expensive.. let's say you watched your project every day for 24 hours .. meaning you leave it on all day and night on.. it would be 8760 hours.

If you were to watch your TV 10 hours a day (which I really don't anyone is really capable of if they have any other tasks in their life)..that's 3650 hours.. that's an average life of a lamp..

So you would have to really watch TV every day for more then 10 hours a day to have the need to replace the lamp within 1 year.

An average price for the lamp is about $200-$250. My Sony HW-10 projector lamp is now ~$200. I've had the projector for about a year and a half and I am at 1800 hours on my lamp and I watch quite a few movies a week and play Xbox 360 /PS3 quite a bit.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you won't save that much money. YOu will have the hassle, the cables and the setting up to run 2 projectors where you will essentially using 2 lamps so you 'll have to replace your SD lamp much quicker if you keep it on non-stop. So in the end, no, you are better off just getting a very nice HD projector and just enjoying it for everything.

When the time comes you just replace the lamp (which would be probably in about 2 years time) and you are good to enjoy HD content always. I mean $200-$250 every 2 years is not super expensive really. If you are going with projector.

Throw the numbers out on paper and see how long it takes to make this worth it. I think you'll find that using just a single projector (HD) is the better choice. Plus, it's just simpler. The colours and brightness are probably better on the more expensive projector too, even if you aren't viewing HD.

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for the help. Also this setup would be shared between 3 people so it's possible it could be used for 10 hours a day. What I was going to do if i did go with a dual projector setup is split the signal coming from my computer to both projectors and run my cable tv through a tv tuner. So basically both projectors would have the same thing on them at any given time so i would just turn on the one I wanted to use depending on the content. It probably would save me money but the hassle probably isn't worth it. By the time it would be worth it everything that was in sd would have been updated to hd.