Hi!

Hi! I'm WinstonSmith.

I've been referred to Neowin by a friend, and it seems like an exceptionally high-quality forum with a really mature userbase. I've been a tech enthusiast for a long time. I was born and raised on Windows machines, so I know my way around the OS fairly well. However, as of late I've been more interested in *nix use. I have a vague understanding of Unix-based filesystems, as I work fairly often with the filesystem on my iPod Touch (jailbroken); I'd like to learn a lot more about the *nix world and its many uses and features.

I do a lot of work developing for VALVe's Source Engine, focusing mainly on Portal and a little bit of Half-Life 2. My primary skill is mapping/level design, but I'm also working on other facets such as texturing, basic modeling, particle system work, and music composition. I also would like to pick up an in-depth knowledge of C++ programming, a task which I have just begun. I know Source Engine programming isn't a good way to learn the language, though, so I'm approaching it through other methods.

So, now you know a bit about me. I hope to become a fairly active member in some portions of Neowin!

Oh, and one more thing: I have an oddly intense dislike for Apple and all Apple products excluding the iPod Touch. I know that may automatically make me some enemies, but I just thought I'd clear the air.

Hey mate, your friend isn't lying, we are all mature user base here :)

Hope we can help you in whatever it is in the future you need help with!

Welcome to Neowin. Enjoy your stay.

@Anarkii: Mature user base? Well... you're slightly exaggerating imho.

Welcome to Neowin. Enjoy your stay.

@Anarkii: Mature user base? Well... you're slightly exaggerating imho.

ssshhh he hasnt seen the subscriber forums yet ;) He dont know we all immature in them lol

Thanks everyone!

Wow' date=' welcome, I love Portal. Want some cake?[/quote']

BEGIN OBLIGATORY MEME REFERENCE

Only if it's not a lie.

TERMINATE OBLIGATORY MEME REFERENCE

Mature user base? Well... you're slightly exaggerating imho.

Hey' date=' I've looked around the forums a bit, and so far, I've seen 1) no incessant swearing, 2) no [i']major[/i] butcherings of English, and 3) many intelligent responses. In my book, that means Neowin's more mature than a fair chunk of the Internet.

Thanks everyone!

BEGIN OBLIGATORY MEME REFERENCE

Only if it's not a lie.

TERMINATE OBLIGATORY MEME REFERENCE

Hey, I've looked around the forums a bit, and so far, I've seen 1) no incessant swearing, 2) no major butcherings of English, and 3) many intelligent responses. In my book, that means Neowin's more mature than a fair chunk of the Internet.

Hey, I was joking around with Anarkii. All in all the Neowin community is great for geeks/nerds like most here.

Hi my name is Nasir Ghaffar Student of MBA age 25. My hobby is Ride Beautiful sports Bikes. I am doing a part time job in a web developing office. I have a cat pet.Thanks

I've been referred to Neowin by a friend, and it seems like an exceptionally high-quality forum with a really mature userbase.

Hi winstonsmith.

Yeah that statement is right but this is still the internet. Saying neowin has a mature userbase is like saying look there is the tallest pygmy.