OpenOffice 3.3.0 RC10 out NOW!

If there's still no ribbon then I won't be able to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

If you desperately need a ribbon, then I'd recommend you continue to use Microsoft Office.

If you desperately need a ribbon, then I'd recommend you continue to use Microsoft Office.

I reckon that's a good response. :]

If there's still no ribbon then I won't be able to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

For me it's the exact opposite, the ribbon is making me look for alternatives like OO

Using OO is like pulling teeth after using Office 07+

Don't get me wrong, it can still get the job done (90% of the time), but it ain't fun

When you define using an office suite as fun, are you referring to it:

1). A video game

2). Some kind of sporting event

BTW... does anyone have a screen shot?

using office 2007+ is fun? Office suites aren't fun by definition, they are for doing work on :p Ribbons don't save you that much time!

+1 that being said I much prefer Office and ribbon to OpenOffice.

When you define using an office suite as fun, are you referring to it:

1). A video game

2). Some kind of sporting event

BTW... does anyone have a screen shot?

You obviously don't have Ribbon Hero

And as for productivity, Search Commands is great for speeding it up, you just type what you're looking for to get a command.

Guys seriously. It's an OFFICE program. Get real with the "it's not fun" and "it looks ugly" comments.

You open it, you type up your work, you save it, you print it, you close it. BIG DEAL if it doesn't have a ribbon or look pretty.

It's free, it's functional. That's good enough for me, and many more.

Guys seriously. It's an OFFICE program. Get real with the "it's not fun" and "it looks ugly" comments.

You open it, you type up your work, you save it, you print it, you close it. BIG DEAL if it doesn't have a ribbon or look pretty.

If things really worked that way companies like Apple and Microsoft wouldn't invest money and resources in developing new GUIs.

If things really worked that way companies like Apple and Microsoft wouldn't invest money and resources in developing new GUIs.

That's true. UIs can really make or break an application. It's the sole reason I hate using most open source programs on Windows. Nobody really pays attention to that aspect and just tack on a basic UI.

That said, I too, prefer the Ribbon over 90's era file menus. The Ribbon was able to highlight functions I never even knew existed in Office before, and has actually made the program more enjoyable to use. No more digging around, it's all laid out in front of you.

Some of us who look at something the whole day would like it not to look as ugly as sin. I look at my Word interface the whole day, I like things that are attractive and pleasing to the eye in the same way that I don't have a house that looks like a tip. There is more to life than just something that is 'functional'.

It would be great if they eventually redesigned the UI, I've never liked those draggable menu bars. They feel like random button containers thrown there without much thought about placement and contents.

OpenOffice is great for simple document jobs. I used to use it back in the day because it was a free Microsoft Word and had spellcheck and such and better formatting that no other free program had, but over time I was forced to switch for compatibility reasons. Microsoft Office is better, of course, but what's cheaper?

I'd give it more time and they'll make the outdated UI better.

I hate to say it but the ribbon and aero-ness does help. Which is why I will probably pay the 150+ for the home edition of 2010 instead of download Open Office.

I'm unsure if they could use a ribbon, at least not in the same way MS Office uses it. MS has patents surrounding it and while they let other people use them for free that doesn't extend to products directly competing with theirs, which Open Office does. Thats what I recall reading anyway.