What game do you credit for turning you into a "Gamer"?

I started playing Super Mario Bros at the age of 1, lol, and I remained just a casual side-scrolling gamer until I was a little older with the SNES. Then I discovered Super Mario RPG. It was a brand new concept to me and doing all of that reading as a child (never had any books) helped me develop a "deeper" personality and a more artistic character. From there I went to other RPGs and I've liked them since. But nothing these days has that magic that the SNES did, or early PS1/N64 titles. In 10 years, I won't feel nostalgic one bit about anything past ps2.... which is unfortunate. Or maybe I've just lost my imagination.

Whatever the case, Super Mario influenced my love for side-scrolling games like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG is credited for my "deeper" gaming side. And together (DKC included), they influenced me to become a musician due to their awesome music.

Ice Hockey for Atari 2600 was probably what started it, though Super Mario Bros for NES was probably what got me hooked for good.

Metal Gear Solid on PS for consoles.

On PC, Desert Combat (Battlefield 1942) turned me into a serious gamer, getting into clans, ladder systems, using VOIP, etc.

Super Mario Bros. I never beat it lol kept falling in those blasted crevices. Those old games like that really got my heart beating and gave me the feeling of pending doom. These new games really do nothing for me, when I play them I don't have the same feeling. For me, the more reality based the games get, the less my heart races and the less I feel like playing.

Cany remember what platform it was on but R-Type 1 and 2 were great. Loved ESWAT on the mega drive and MOHAA was the first game on the PC that hooked me.

I'm loving this thread... the obvious generation gaps are, well, obvious. heh

I forgot about the Amiga. There was a side-scrolling robot game with a kick-ass

heavy metal soundtrack that ate up a bunch of my time back in the day. Too bad

that system flopped.

Pong.

Dunno if you are kidding or not, but Pong was the first game I played when I was about oh, 3 or so and that was it for me. Been playing games every since. After Pong I'd have to say Asteroids and Arkanoid sucked me in like crazy. Especially Arkanoid at my next door Pizza place. Would go there and plunk down $20 to play that over and over and over and over and, well you get the idea.