but there will be npc's in the world and such that will fight along side you in a quest area or a dungeon.

oh another thing, you won't have to actually make groups to help each other out with quests and stuff. like if two people are not grouped up and doing the same quest at the same time, unlike other mmo's where you woul dbe fighting each other for first hit on mobs, in gw2, you both get the drop from the mob you helped each other kill.

as well gathering node timers aren't global, so you don't have to race other players to the node or feel like a bitch because you cleared the mobs around a node and then some other player ran in and used it. node timers are player based so if you use up a node, it will still be there for everyone else.

Yes, if it works half as good as and as well as they describe it will be amazing. And there's no reason to think it won't work right. Guild Wars has always been a polished game from the first month it's been out until now and I'm sure GW2 will follow that trend.

• 3 weeks later...

So what is the status of the project?

All I can really say is that we?re working as hard as we can to get the game into your hands as soon as possible. We?re working hard on the implementation of things like crafting, guilds, PvP, and underwater combat. We?ve got another profession in a good state and are getting ready to start the long process of preparing it for its debut. We?re getting closer and closer to finishing the remaining four professions. We?re in a little bit of a lull information-wise as the holidays approach and we put our heads down to make progress on the development of the game, but rest assured the information will flow again; the coming year is going to bring with it a lot of cool information and maybe a few surprises as well. All we ask is that you please be patient while we make Guild Wars 2 the game it deserves to be.

When It?s Ready

I don't mind the possible delay, but I'm also too eager to play the game already. They should finish it faster.

i don't mind waiting even if i don't really have a fulltime daily game right now. as it is, right now the 3 games i am waiting for are due to launch within the same quarter as one another, so i'm not sure which one i will try out seriously first. and i have people that want to play all 3 of them with me so... ><

That blog post makes me wonder how the game can really be so long in development(it's around 3.5 years now), and yet they still do not have crucial, core parts like the professions done yet(as he pretty much flat out admits). I mean, if they're so far behind that very core parts aren't done, then that seems to hint that alot of secondary stuff probably hasn't even gotten very far yet(if even started) either. Which would go even further to reducing the chance of a 2k11 release.

And speaking of professions. We're now 12 weeks since the necro appeared on the official site.

• 4 weeks later...

Some Ranger and Warrior gameplay from Gamescon:

The bear pet seems to die a lot, not entirely sure how useful that is but they've still got plenty of time to improve things. The more I see of this game the more amazing it looks though, the oakhearts look awesome. The dragon looks ****ing awesome. Never seen anything like that in any other game before.

And the equivalent of 60 feature length movies of voice acting? Wow, if true, but I find that hard to believe.

Aww. I was hoping by seeing this thread up on the first page again that Anet actually remembered they started a huge hype train about 4 months ago and need to keep it going by posting new info before everyone forgets about gw2 again.

The bear pet seems to die a lot, not entirely sure how useful that is but they've still got plenty of time to improve things.

Yeah, it really died the whole time, not a good way to show off a ranger where the pet is important. Either the player sucked and didn't control/help his pet or the pet was just too weak.

• 1 month later...

Finally after around 5 months arenanet remembers we're all still wanting something new and actually gives it to us. Hopefully they'll start to move a little faster now that the holidays can't be used as an excuse.

Anyway, the 5th Profession reveal is now here: The Guardian

Looks very good. Already there are stupid people saying "omigosh, this replaces the monk, everyone will need one of these in a group, trinity is still therrrrrreeee!!!11111".

How quickly they forget that every class can play each role well. They complain about the scenario of people saying "waiting for guardian" when they know damn well they will be the idiots that start the trend in the first place.

Seems like it would be a dedicated tank more than a replacement for the monk. I thought they were trying to do away with dedicated roles but it seems like this class will get shoehorned into filling that role almost all the time. Or it just me that's thinking that? While it looks like most classes can keep themselves healed decently this class looks like it's geared more towards buffs and defense than any others we've seen so far. Anyways, warrior class for me, all the way, don't need to see anything else. :woot:

Anyways, good that new information is coming out, I'm still hoping for a summer beta!

It can't be a dedicated tank, Guardians have much less health than the warrior, but they have improved health generation. They've said that if you sit there and try and soak up damage with it you'll die all the time.

It can't be a dedicated tank, Guardians have much less health than the warrior, but they have improved health generation. They've said that if you sit there and try and soak up damage with it you'll die all the time.

In Guild Wars, health wasn't really that important with the right skills. Some good builds were made with very little of it, like the 55 monk (which later spread to different professions). That just like the name says, had only 55 health.

But I doubt that's really saying anything, as the game was dramatically changed since Guild Wars and it's expansions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-guild-wars-2-guardian-replaces-monk

"In Guild Wars 1 we had a Monk. We know people like to play that profession, we also know we're not building a dedicated healer in our game, so we couldn't bring in a character called a Monk into our game and say oh we just totally annulled his healing and took away his connection to the gods," explained Peters.

According to a new blog post, a.net will be at pax east next month. And along with them they will bring a "brand new Guild Wars 2 demo, with loads of new content." Can't wait to see some more new stuff(and if that 'loads' part is indeed true).

Now if only they'd bring a beta date or release date with that new demo and content..

According to a new blog post, a.net will be at pax east next month. And along with them they will bring a "brand new Guild Wars 2 demo, with loads of new content." Can't wait to see some more new stuff(and if that 'loads' part is indeed true).

Now if only they'd bring a beta date or release date with that new demo and content..

Is that confirmed by Anet? It's just that the developers have explicitly said, more than once, that the demo they offered at the conventions last year would be the one they offer at any other show in the future.

Is that confirmed by Anet? It's just that the developers have explicitly said, more than once, that the demo they offered at the conventions last year would be the one they offer at any other show in the future.

The linked blog is a.net's own blog. So i'm pretty sure it's a confirmation.

• 1 month later...

I just got done watching the developer walkthrough videos @ gametrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/guild-wars-2/11916) and I'm pretty impressed. I try not to get hyped for games because it's easy to get disappointed, but I'm definitely looking forward to GW2 now.

Things I really liked:

- Moving away from traditional party systems by encouraging players to dynamically help each other in the field. Hopefully they intend to do-away with KSing and having to manually organize a party to cooperate with other people.. effectively making kill-stealing a thing of the past.

- Class combos: Elementalist throws down a fire wall, ranger shoots arrows through it and the arrows take on fire element/extra damage.

- "Last stand" functionality like Borderlands - if you get incapacitated, another player can help you back up, or you can finish off a kill to get a 'second wind'.

- Combat looked pretty active and well-animated. I'm not a huge fan of guns in MMOs but if done right they can be passable. Thief play looks pretty cool, I'm really looking forward to seeing some ranger play (over the years I've found it to be my favorite class in almost every MMO).

• 4 weeks later...

April 1st: New class, the Commando.

LOL was just about to post this too. A-net with a decent attempt at a April Fools Joke :p

• 2 weeks later...