• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'Human-electric' hybrid car goes 30 mph

Hum    6,933

Fred Flintstone could only dream of such a car. The HumanCar Imagine PS, a four-seater vehicle that uses hand cranks, can take on hills at 30 miles per hour, exceed 60 mph on flat terrain and is expected to hit the market next year.

HumanCar is the self-funded brainchild of Charles Samuel Greenwood, an engineer who has been working on developing the perfect human-powered vehicle since the late 1960s. Now, it looks like his car is actually getting somewhere. According to Autoblog Green, the lightweight Imagine PS is street legal and, if four people are cranking inside, can run on human power alone. "PS" stands for "power station," naturally. Based in Eugene, Ore., HumanCar Inc. is preparing to start producing the car.

The vehicle has electric plug-in capabilities, so it can still run if only one person is operating the hand-crank in a rowing-like motion (see the video showing the action here). When four people are all rowing, it can run on human power alone. This thing is truly a "human-electric" hybrid. The chassis is adaptable, and can work with different kinds of batteries and technology in the future without requiring an entirely new vehicle.

100816-tech-human-electric%20car.grid-6x2.jpg

more

Olemus    18

I only use my car when I'm too tired to run or cycle to where I'm going, for me hybrids like these just won't cut it for people who are relatively active all ready.

Hum    6,933

Ah, the HumCar .... good way to lose weight. :laugh:

Colin-uk    134

so whos doing the steering while the rowing is going on (i'd love to see someone using this on the motorway) and wont this tire you out? I mean they're already warning us about driving tired.

fards    0

tbh that seems like a waste, arm is never as efficient as leg power..

I'll stick with my velomobile, purely human powered and barely slower than that...

Crisp    3,271

Wouldn't work in the UK, it rains too much which would turn it into a mobile pool.

Phenom II    104

I only use my car when I'm too tired to run or cycle to where I'm going, for me hybrids like these just won't cut it for people who are relatively active all ready.

Wish I had that kind of energy - If I had a car I wouldnt walk anywhere

Mr. Gibs    3,865
According to Autoblog Green, the lightweight Imagine PS is street legal and, if four people are cranking inside, can run on human power alone.

Don't think that will go well if you're trying to take home a girl

Angel Blue01    8

Cool, but as others have pointed out, how do steer this thing?!

"Does this dress make me look fat?" "Yes, but I've got the solution to that hun"

XerXis    259

tbh that seems like a waste, arm is never as efficient as leg power..

I'll stick with my velomobile, purely human powered and barely slower than that...

while i agree it's a stupid idea, you do have a flaw in your reasoning. This is not arm movement powering the car, you have to make a rowing movement which depends on the entire body and primarily the legs to power the move

Hum    6,933

Stroke baby ! Stroke ! :laugh:

Steven P.    13,021

Video of it in action:

Growled    3,880

I'd never go anywhere if I had to stroke it to get there.

Hum    6,933

Honestly, a bicycle would be better, for 1 person. ;)

shockz    5,416

Looks like a death trap to me... interesting idea though.

+Alan-    11

It actually looks very cool, I could easily see this for simply going around town.

Konstanov    58

When a drunk guy in a F150 doesn't see you and runs right over your car and you. Obviously no safety concerns were thought of during the design of this car.

carmatic    54

not sure i'd want to ride in that thing, street legal or not

plus it could really do with a canopy to streamline the aerodynamics if its really serious about energy efficiency, as it is now it looks like its proving the human-poweredness rather than the practicability of the car

but that is some sweet dubstep music, tho...

speaking of energy efficiency, i think i've read somewhere that humans are more efficient at short bursts of energy, rather than long continous burns... the design of the 'exercise machines' which power the car should be optimized for ergonomics and physiology, so the users can most easily pump energy into the car and get the furtherest with the amount of effort they spent

Solid Knight    504

The BO car. Nobody is going to want to arrive at their destination nasty and sweaty.

Gaffney    143

Did anyone see the car and think of:

SouthParkCar.jpg

carmatic    54

The BO car. Nobody is going to want to arrive at their destination nasty and sweaty.

in that case, you charge the car off a wall socket beforehand and you can drive all the way without moving a single muscle... assuming that you only have to drive in a straight line

Hum    6,933

Better bring an umbrella, in case of rain. :laugh:

ozgeek    157

The concept is amazing but to have it in mainstream they'd need to have safety and comfort as well as roof for protection from weather.

Klownicle    64

A+ for effort.

But if it looks like a golf cart. Then its a golf cart.

This looks like it should be in a solar race. Not on the road. Koodos to the maker, but I wouldn't be using that device to traval anywhere. Maybe around a park... :pinch: