• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Hum    6,933

Philpots, 47, has her memory wiped clean each day ? sometimes each minute ? by anterograde amnesia, brought on by head injuries she suffered in two vehicle crashes more than 20 years ago. She wakes up every morning believing it is 1994, the last year from which she can conjure up memories.

Thus, for the Englishwoman, John Major is still prime minister, Ace of Base tops the music charts, and ?Forrest Gump? is the movie everyone is flocking to see. And while such amnesia has been played to humorous effect in movies like ?Groundhog Day? and ?50 First Dates,? it can be sad and sometimes devastating for Philpots.

Philpots? rare condition is the result of a motorcycle accident in 1985, compounded by a serious car accident five years later. In 1994, she was diagnosed with epilepsy as a result of her head injuries.

Her condition rapidly deteriorated: Not only did Philpots suffer from frequent seizures, she began to become more and more forgetful. She lost her office job when she copied the same document repeatedly during a work shift. Her memory eventually slid to the point where little to nothing stuck past the year 1994.

A 2005 surgery to extract dead and damaged brain cells improved her lot ? the seizures largely stopped. But Philpots still faces waking up each day having to fill in the last 16 years of her life.

more

.Neo    1,834

At least she will forget all about it the next day.

Hum    6,933

Might be a good thing for TV shows & movies :shifty:

mokthraka    159

hahahah.

But seriously this most be terrible.

JaredFrost    315

I can't be the only one whose first thought was, "Groundhog Day wasn't about that at all"

nub    181

I can't be the only one whose first thought was, "Groundhog Day wasn't about that at all"

This

McCordRm    450

Man, I know I could live with waking up and having someone explain

to me what just happened. But going to sleep at 31 and waking up at 47,

then 60, then... etc? I'm not sure I could handle that.

Phenom II    104

Imagine if she gets pregnant, wakes up with a big belly - wakes up with a baby - wakes up with a teenager - wakes up with grankids

Berserk87    49

I may have alzheimer's but at least I don't have alzheimer's.

deuz    2

Imagine if she gets pregnant, wakes up with a big belly - wakes up with a baby - wakes up with a teenager - wakes up with grankids

oh god...just thinking about it...seems so ****ed up...lol

each day she will be like wtf is this.......insane:(....hopefully the day she remembers had nothing big happen on it....

mudslag    8,767
p1ysk.jpg