Best Set-top Box Options

For quite sometime now I have been streaming all my content to my PS3 with PS3 Media server. Though it's just not updated often enough anymore, and there are always issues with it. And never enjoyed using Windows Media Center with the Xbox.

So, I am thinking about buying a box that will steam all my content, store content (either internal drive, or external) and has web related stuff. The obvious things.

I don't really feel like building my own HTPC so only pre made boxes please.

Boxee Box isn't available yet, but if you think it's worth waiting then say so. Otherwise don't mention it. Also, not sure if any of the set-top boxes are US only, so if it does matter I am in Canada.

Thanks.

Thanks, that seems quite awesome and I have heard people talk about it before.

Any other suggestions people? Thanks.

In the UK at least, You can get boxes that have an ethernet connection as well as a standard antenna connection, meaning yes you can watch television but also stream on demand services from certain ones too.

Perhaps the solution above would work better for you though because you nominate which content you view!

Finally some DVD Players & Televisions have a USB Connection. Simply fill a USB Hard drive with your favourite bits and pieces and voila! Connect that baby up :D Also some TV's have an ethernet connection where you can stream on demand services through that.

Best of luck :)

An after thought...

Build a budget Media Center PC. It doesn't need a DVD Drive or many special features. A remote and a decent TV Capture card :)

The reason why I am wanting to stop using PS3 Media Server is there are always issues like I said, currently most of my mkv files don't play sound because they are using newer encodings. And it's not being updated.

Do players like the WD Live Plus and others get updated often enough? I guess it would depend on the company, will they be supported for awhile, or...

Don't really want to spend 150+ on something if I have the same issues anyways, ya know.

In the UK at least, You can get boxes that have an ethernet connection as well as a standard antenna connection, meaning yes you can watch television but also stream on demand services from certain ones too.

Perhaps the solution above would work better for you though because you nominate which content you view!

Finally some DVD Players & Televisions have a USB Connection. Simply fill a USB Hard drive with your favourite bits and pieces and voila! Connect that baby up :D Also some TV's have an ethernet connection where you can stream on demand services through that.

Best of luck :)

An after thought...

Build a budget Media Center PC. It doesn't need a DVD Drive or many special features. A remote and a decent TV Capture card :)

As I said in my first post, don't want to build a HTPC, lazy lol

• 1 month later...

I know you don't want to build or go full blown HTPC but you can get a Dell ZinoHD w/ dedicated graphics w/ hdmi out and dual core proc. Dell regularly runs specials for their outlet store via twitter so you can save anywhere from 10-20% on one from the outlet. My friend bought one and has loved using it with XBMC as the front end.

I also got tired of the issues with PMS and started to look for alternative options couple weeks ago. I skipped WD Live because... well, it seems likely that it will be just as problem prone as PMS due to incomplete matroska implementation and general lack of support. I used to love XBMC on the original Xbox so I decided to give it a try instead.

I picked up Acer Revo 3610 and slapped XBMC Live (Dharma) on it. Pretty much everything worked out of the box (including hardware acceleration) and outside a few issues with getting XBMC connect to my windows fileshares (fixed in Dharma Beta2) I really didn't need to touch anything to get it working like I wanted. So far I haven't managed to find a container/codec combo that would not work.

I recently got one from EGREAT. Some of the models have a subscription-less DVR feature for recording from composite in! Plus the WDTV doesn't have H.264 High Profile AFAIK.