Can you machine wash a mouse mat?

Crisp

As per title really, have had this Razer Mantis mouse mat for about 3 years now and it's starting to look a big grubby. Are these large mouse mats washable via washing machine?

Just curious as I didn't want to try it and the thing falls to bits.

This mouse mat to be precise...

imageview.php?image=13354

vincent

You could try, but i recommend just buying a new one.

Phenom II

If you do, Id put it on a very cool wash, most likely the same as a pair of trainers so the glue doesnt melt and put it in a pillow case

Kenji

Don't forget to add a cap of bleach to the powder compartment.

Teebor

I'd use warm soapy water and a soft cloth, give it a good scrub and then leave it somewhere warm to dry rather than put it through a washing machine cycle

+DonC

Depends what the condition of the foam is, to be honest.

I think I would clean the top part by hand using Cif and a cloth (apply Cif to cloth and then gently rub the surface.)

Crisp

The condition of the mat itself is like new, there's just a few stains on it of jam, biscuit and coffee etc.

I will try it on a cool wash and wrap it in a pillow case as said above. Thanks for the man-love feedback guys.

treemonster

upgrade to a large sized vynil or plastic mat. foam mats are horrible in my experience, and i noticed a pleasurable difference when i switched to my first large sized plastic mouse pad years ago, both in terms of mouse glide, the amount of picking up the mouse and re homing it in games due to running out of pad area, and ease of keeping it clean.

the steelseries mouse pad i recently got is even nicer in these areas. i believe it to be made out of vinyl.

John S.

Ugh, can't stand a nasty mousepad. We have several community pc's at work and their pads get nasty. Very hot water, dishwashing detergent, and an old toothbrush...that's the way I've always washed them. Wring the excess water out and pat dry with a towel.

Xenon

I would try a dish washer on cool water only. just place it on the rack and run. Also on the dry cycle, put it on air only! It might melt or burn other wise.

qdave

I just rinse my mats with water, and scrub a little bit with soap. Works well and i had that mat for over 5 years :D

tuckeratlarge

Jebus I haven't used a mouse mat for years - since optical rodents came about.

+LogicalApex

Depends on the texture of your mouse pad. I wash mine once a week.

TEX4S

Don't forget to add a cap of bleach to the powder compartment.

:huh:

I'd use warm soapy water and a soft cloth, give it a good scrub and then leave it somewhere warm to dry rather than put it through a washing machine cycle

:yes:

Ugh, can't stand a nasty mousepad. We have several community pc's at work and their pads get nasty. Very hot water, dishwashing detergent, and an old toothbrush...that's the way I've always washed them. Wring the excess water out and pat dry with a towel.

(Y)

other than some mild soap (be sure it doesnt have any kind of oily add-in like hand soaps w/ aloe) and a microfiber cloth - you might try some isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

But if that pad has any kind of slick coating on it, you have a good chance of ruining it...

Regardless, just get a new one - they are cheap and it is simply too much of a pain to go through all of this. Look at the time spent just posting and reading - if you would have purchased a new from the start - you'd already have it ! :/

homeboyrocketshoulders

When I had a normal mousepad I threw it in the washing machine a few times. Cold water, regular detergent, and obviously air dry. Mine didnt fall apart or suffer any damage.

travelcard

I have the same mouse mat - it's a beaut, and to the guys who are saying just buy a new one they are cheap I know most are just a few pence but this one's about ?30.

Looking at mine I must admit I'd be nervous about putting it in a washing machine I think that it would all fall apart. I bet you can email them and ask.

Nick H.

The condition of the mat itself is like new, there's just a few stains on it of jam, biscuit and coffee etc.

If that's the only problem, just get a cloth and wipe with warm water.

Actually, that would be my advice regardless of the state of the mat. That plus a bit of elbow grease has got anything off my mouse mat no problem. And I'm a messy eater, I should really stop eating near equipment :laugh: