UK woman caught on video, dumping cat in trash bin

The owners of a cat have appealed to outraged animal lovers not to "take matters into their own hands" after a passer-by dumped her in a wheelie bin.

An RSPCA investigation was started after a woman was filmed on CCTV throwing four-year-old Lola into a bin outside her owners' home in Coventry.

Darryl Mann released his trapped pet 15 hours later after hearing her cries.

Police said community support officers were brought in after large crowds gathered outside the woman's home.

Outrage was sparked after the film was posted online to try to trace the woman, prompting hundreds of angry messages about her.

She was later identified by police.

Lola was released unhurt on Sunday and the RSPCA is now leading an investigation into animal cruelty, supported by West Midlands Police.

The RSPCA was due to speak to the woman on Tuesday and police community support officers were brought in to monitor the situation when large crowds gathered outside her home, police said.

Mr Mann's wife Stephanie, 24, said: "I can't believe the reaction to the story.

"I only posted it on Facebook because I wanted to see who she was.

"Now that the police know who she is, I think people should leave it to them and the RSPCA and not take matters into their own hands.

"Whatever she has done, I don't like her, but I don't want her to get hurt.

"It needs to be dealt with properly, not by people getting aggressive with her."

'Lovely cat'

Mr Mann, 26, of Brays Lane, said he had not realised his cat was missing as she was in the habit of wandering off at night.

"She is a night cat. We sometimes don't see her in the day unless she comes in for food.

"I don't know how someone could do it to such a defenceless animal.

"I thought she might have got in herself - she's not the brightest cat.

"It's disgusting, she's a lovely cat... she'd never hurt anyone."

source

video

post-37120-12826965474301.jpg

While what this woman did was inappropriate, outdoor cats (which, I assume this one was) can be a nusiance. This may very well be a failure on the part of the owner to be responsible for their animal, on top of an easily annoyed and shallow woman.

for a cat?

priority fail?

Animal cruelty, you don't go walking up a street and toss a cat into a bin, she was even stroking it. It was friendly, it did not attack her, it did not provoke her to do what she did. And why is it the owner's fault, it's not a dog, it's not like it bit her or anything. Cat's are most of the time friendly creatures.

Animal cruelty, you don't go walking up a street and toss a cat into a bin, she was even stroking it. It was friendly, it did not attack her, it did not provoke her to do what she did. And why is it the owner's fault, it's not a dog, it's not like it bit her or anything. Cat's are most of the time friendly creatures.

yes but do we have to throw her in jail?

do we have such resource for that?

While what this woman did was inappropriate, outdoor cats (which, I assume this one was) can be a nusiance. This may very well be a failure on the part of the owner to be responsible for their animal, on top of an easily annoyed and shallow woman.

There's never a decent excuse which justifies throwing a live animal into a bin. If the animal annoys you and you have the opportunity to just walk away, that is the decent option. That's what this disgusting woman should have done.

Damn, evil woman. How can a cat annoy you so much?

I am guessing she experienced an unfriendly, destructive cat -- so she wants to hurt any cat.

I think an appropriate punishment would be to stick her in a bin, for 15 hours. :laugh:

Jail is just a ridiculous money waste for everyone, she's no danger to society. But fine her a couple grand and people like her will think twice about abusing an animal.

Very disturbing--

The woman pet the cat-- then put it in the trash.?... I could possibly understand if the cat attacked her- based on the footage-- the cat was very friendly towards the lady.

Though something should be done about this-- I am not sure about jail though. Since she did not abuse (assault/hit) the cat other than putting it in a trash can.

Though they should fine the lady as well as force her to do supervised work at the humane society. You know the "pound".

The second I watched her put the cat in the bin, my mouth dropped and stayed that way until the end of the video.

Extremely stupid and disrepective of others. Should be jailed. OR be put in a dumper for hours to have her experience the same the cat experienced.

There's never a decent excuse which justifies throwing a live animal into a bin. If the animal annoys you and you have the opportunity to just walk away, that is the decent option. That's what this disgusting woman should have done.

Thats a bit over dramatic i'm personally sick of *******s letting their pets run free in the street and doing a **** where ever they please she didn't physical harm the animal the owner should be taking better care of their pets instead of them wandering around and defecating their neighbors lawn you know there are fines for not cleaning up after your pet this should be no different :angry:

The second I watched her put the cat in the bin, my mouth dropped and stayed that way until the end of the video.

Extremely stupid and disrepective of others. Should be jailed. OR be put in a dumper for hours to have her experience the same the cat experienced.

Why, what is wrong with you? I don't agree with animal cruelty but you know nothing about this women or her intentions its ridiculous you would consider jail for such a pitiful "crime" theres far worse happening in the name of animal cruelty then what this women has done

the cat owner should be fined for negligence and possibly fine this women for endangerment of an animals well-being but jail time is beyond ridiculous and any fine beyond $50 is overkill

to damn sensitive >_<

Jail's not necessary... Just beat her for a while and fine her. There's no excuse for what she did. If she thought the cat was a nuisance she should have called animal control. I suspect she's just sick as she pet the cat before she put it in the garbage container.

Late at night I was ordering at the drive-thru of Rally's when I saw somebody chuck a puppy out of a speeding car. The next car that came along pulled over and the man inside put the puppy out of its misery.

Without watching the video I was gonna reply "well maybe the cat was annoying her / following her around / being a outdoor unowned cat", but then watching the video i went WHAT THE ****.

Really Lady? You ****ing walk up to it, being a cat it looked up and probably went "meow(pet me pwease)" and you start stroking it, it didnt bite you or anything, and then you ****ing GRAB IT BY THE NECK AND PUT IT IN A BIN?

I dont care who wants to protect this lady, lets see if someone hugs her and then GRABS HER BY THE ****ING NECK AND THROWS HER IN A DUMPSTER. Let's see how she would like that.

People like this should be ****ing beaten. Dont EVER treat animals with disrespect unless it REALLY ****ing you off, snapping at you, uncontrolled, etc. This cat looked like it was chilling in the bushes when it saw a lady, but the lady stopped and the cat responded. Most outdoor cats I know wont do anything till you stop and try to get there attention, other then that they chill in there little spot, unless you give them attention.

God stupid people in this damn world.

yeah they should throw her in the bin for 15 hours with no food or water

This is the same that I was thinking.

She did nothing wrong. Some cats are a nuisance! Drowning it would be a wiser solution though.

How was that cat being a nuisance? It was doing nothing, and anyone who would drown a cat is a sick freak. :no: