Canon 35mm 1.4L or 50mm 1.2L

I currently own a 7D and am want to take some excellent portraits, landscapes, and night pictures. Considering that the 7D is a crop sensor, should I go for the 35?

For portraits I'd say look into the 85 or maybe even the 135mm range, then again it depends on what you consider a comfortable working distance.

As for the lenses, I have no experience with either of them but I've heard the 50/1.2 is not quite up to the level of other "L" lenses, I'm not sure how much truth there is to that statement.

EDIT: I just read you said landscapes, in that case the 35 is your best bet, though you may want something even wider for it. What lenses do you currently have?

on a crop i would go for a 35L cuz it's more versatile focal length. both are great lens, however the 50L does have focus shift from like f2 to f4 or something like that. If u plan to shoot wide open most of the time, u won't really notice it. my 35L is one of my most used lens, the 2nd most use lens is a 50 1.4 AFS nikon on my nikon bodies. u really need a fullframe body to really see how good the 35L is.

As many have said, on a crop take the 35mm, hell I would take the 35mm even on a full frame, just a step over the 50mm but more versatile.

35L on a 1DM3 (1.3 crop)

50 1.4 AFS on a D3 (FF)

35L on 5D (FF)

I like the first and the third one. These are yours?

hoho thx, i consider them life snaps.

Like a snapshot or are you talking about candid photography?

Like a snapshot or are you talking about candid photography?

mostly snap shots of our daily life, some candid here and there as well.

just him and his fiance :p

Was buubuu always comfortable in front of the camera or have you "trained" her over time?

since day 1

heres one about 1 week in.

422743539_fa902427a1_z.jpg?zz=1

1 month in

431891540_3492aa789d_z.jpg?zz=1

1 year in

2181149569_331b797d09_z.jpg?zz=1

good information guys thank you. I will go with the 35mm. When I eventually get a FF sensor I am sure that I will be glad I went with it. I currently only have the kit lens. Basically if I get the 35mm 1.4L I will get the 50mm 1.8 for 100 bucks as I hear it is an excellent lens for it's cost. But I wanted to have at least 1 high quality L lens to start.

edit:

The kit lens is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.