Why I Canceled My Halo: Reach Pre-order

166 members have voted

1. 1. Will you pay $60 for Xbox Live Gold to play online?

• No, $50 is bad enough!
    • Yes, it's only $10 more.

I'm not a huge gamer, especially online, yet I still pay for and enjoy LIVE. There's always 2-3 games in a year that I play the hell out of in multiplayer. Look at this way: you can go to the movies 3 times in a year and spend $60. But, as already has been said, if you don't find the value in it, don't pay for it. Simple. I'm getting a bit perturbed how nowadays if people don't like something (especially as insignificant as gaming) they feel they need to provide a damn essay about why. Even off the internet, people have to give you some damn reasoning for their decisions. I don't understand it at all.

I will say the one thing I do agree with is those folks who are bringing up the ads. It's getting ridiculous. Bad enough they've taken a spot in the actual games.

I agree that the competition has free online services but seriously $10/yr, dude I spent more than that this morning on Rockstar Energy drinks at Speedway...

That's the thing, usually you pay for premium services to get more features...why should I have to pay for all of that when all I want to do is play online? I have no other option if I want to play online.

And why should I pay $100+ a month for cable TV when all I want is SyFy?

I'm right there with ya Elessar, the price among a few other reasons are why I went back to PC gaming... BUT it's pretty pointless to argue or try to have the fan boys see your point. It's why I don't come into threads like this and defend the thread starter... Oh wait... SMOKE SCREEN!post-11064-12832345982965.jpg

XBL with new pricing is 16 cents a day.. I mean seriously.. you spend more then that every single day on stupid stuff anyways..<br><br>$60 a YEAR is nothing.. give me a freakin' break.

<div><br></div><div>And i don't expect them to give this stuff for free..their online system is by far the best out there.. they offer so many things through XBL it's not even funny.. Somebody has to pay for this and the infrastructure. </div>

XBL with new pricing is 16 cents a day.. I mean seriously.. you spend more then that every single day on stupid stuff anyways..

$60 a YEAR is nothing.. give me a freakin' break.

I don't buy stupid stuff...

I think the price increase is because of Windows Phone 7.

I mean the timing seems a bit coincidental. WP7 comes out in America in November. Xbox live increases prices from November?

That said, the $10 extra per year isn't really that much of a difference. And if you are a current (or new) gold subscriber just go get it for $39.99 before November ( http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm ). There, you don't need to cancel your order anymore.

I don't buy stupid stuff...

So you never buy any kind of beverage or snacks or anything?? That's the stupid stuff he's most likely talking about, Xbox Live is a service plain and simple, just like if you don't like cell phones, you don't get the service, if you can't afford / don't want it than quit buying it.

@Synthetic, I think you were being sarcastic, hehe

I think the price increase is because of Windows Phone 7.

I mean the timing seems a bit coincidental. WP7 comes out in America in November. Xbox live increases prices from November?

That said, the $10 extra per year isn't really that much of a difference. And if you are a current (or new) gold subscriber just go get it for $39.99 before November ( http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm ). There, you don't need to cancel your order anymore.

It's probably because the black plastic for the Kinect add-on went up in China and now they have to cover the costs...

I'm j/k Razorfold, it does seem a little coincidental that the services are going up though when they are launching so many new things...

Worst argument ever.

Not really.

He just does a moron thing called "thinking" and I'm with his decision. I've decided to purchase a PS3 instead of a 360 R2. Microsoft just wants money..

It's clear.. They didn't offer any additional incentive then what you can do on a PC.

Not really.

He just does a moron thing called "thinking" and I'm with his decision. I've decided to purchase a PS3 instead of a 360 R2. Microsoft just wants money..

It's clear.. They didn't offer any additional incentive then what you can do on a PC.

My god. You really are foreign to the idea of making your own opinion, aren't you? What do you mean "Microsoft just wants money"??? WHat the hell do you think Sony wants? The good will of the people? Did you not read the reply I said which stated that PS3 online service is not really "free" and how Sony will screw you even further?

Why are you comparing a console with a PC? On what grounds is that remotely logical?

No one is forcing you to go with Xbox Live, as I have said. You don't want to pay then just don't pay. Theres a silver subscription which is free (but limited).

Just because you do not use Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc does not mean everyone else doesn't use it.

I agree that its not the first choice for everyone to pay to play, but its either that or nothing really. Its Microsoft's service, they can run it as they see fit. The PC and PS3 are OK alternatives but you will still have games that are Xbox 360 only.

silver doesn't give you anything. if you have a ps3 and a PC you don't need a xbox. ps3 has all multi platform games plus ps3 exclusives. PC has multi platform games plus all games that are on xbox 360. you know that windows and xbox360 is made by the same company right? xbox360 games are also windows games so if you have a PC you are going to get xbox360 games but in better quality depending on your system. plus ps3 has a lot more things than Microsoft like 3d display, 4d will come soon enough, home, web browser, old ones can install other o.s., dual audio output, move, free online that has more than xbox gold has, oh and blu-ray oh and almost forgot wireless built in. oh and...

My god. You really are foreign to the idea of making your own opinion, aren't you? What do you mean "Microsoft just wants money"??? WHat the hell do you think Sony wants? The good will of the people? Did you not read the reply I said which stated that PS3 online service is not really "free" and how Sony will screw you even further?

Why are you comparing a console with a PC? On what grounds is that remotely logical?

Stop putting words in my mouth LS. I didn't say jack about Sony, I was talking about Microsoft.

Your information is not really credible, the MP is free for PSN owners; that's what people do on game consoles they game online, they don't need that other garbage (facebook, twitter, etc) yes they're convienient but there's a price for that convienence and people don't want the bill to something they don't need. Gamers play on Xbox Live for MP.

These "free" services on the pc are just being bundled in with Live as an excuse to jack up the price as you saw this morning.

That's how I see it. It's a racket..

silver doesn't give you anything.

Silver gives you access to plenty; the ability to download DLC, chat with other people, watch movies within parties, grab game demos from dedicated high-speed servers, etc etc.

if you have a ps3 and a PC you don't need a xbox. ps3 has all multi platform games plus ps3 exclusives.

Obviously one of the platforms of a multiplatform game will be able to play that game, and obviously PS3 exclusives can be played on the PS3. That fact as about as useful as me saying multiplatform games can be played by the 360 along with all the 360 exclusives.

PC has multi platform games plus all games that are on xbox 360. you know that windows and xbox360 is made by the same company right?

That means absolutely nothing. The games are NOT cross compatible.

xbox360 games are also windows games so if you have a PC you are going to get xbox360 games but in better quality depending on your system.

A.) No, you will not find "better" quality on a PC vs a 360 price wise. for $300 the graphical quality that you get from a 360 trumps a $300 PC ANY day of the week.

B.) Windows does NOT have all the games on the 360. Where is Forza for the PC? the Halo series after #2? The list goes on and on. And what the heck do you mean "xbox360 games are also windows games"?? Are you trying to tell me I can slip my MW2 disc into my computer and it will play? That's AWESOME.

us ps3 has a lot more things than Microsoft like 3d display,

The PS3 does not "have" 3D. It got the ability to play 3D games through a firmware update, the same can be said for the 360, because it's just software.

4d will come soon enough,

4D games? What?? Now you're just talking for the sake of talking. Do you even know what the theoretical fourth dimension is?

home, web browser, old ones can install other o.s., dual audio output, move,

Home is crap, and Sony's execs even admitted it doesn't do anything. The web browser is nothing fancy, and the install other OS option has been removed from the new PS3s. Dual audio support is available on the 360, I can use component audio OR optical audio if I want. Move is nothing more than an attempt to rip off the Wii, they're almost exactly alike and no benefits have been sighted over it, and Natal has a lot more up its sleeve because Microsoft decided to do something interesting like eliminate the controller altogether.

free online that has more than xbox gold has, oh and blu-ray oh and almost forgot wireless built in. oh and...

The online is not "free". Just because you're not paying for a card that says 12 months of online doesn't mean you're not paying it in the form of hardware premiums. See my earlier post since you're probably not going to understand how that works. No one cares about BluRay anymore because the future of video content delivery is streaming video, which the 360 was the FIRST to integrate with fantastic Netflix integration to full 1080p. The new 360 HAS built-in wireless already.

And....you've run out of points, and you just got crushed.

I agree that the competition has free online services but seriously $10/yr, dude I spent more than that this morning on Rockstar Energy drinks at Speedway...

QFT !

but mines NOS lol

like others have said i hope this weeds out more of the cry babies like the op i just renewed my sub so im golden atm

Stop putting words in my mouth LS. I didn't say jack about Sony, I was talking about Microsoft.

Your information is not really credible, the MP is free for PSN owners; that's what people do on game consoles they game online, they don't need that other garbage (facebook, twitter, etc) yes they're convienient but there's a price for that convienence and people don't want the bill to something they don't need. Gamers play on Xbox Live for MP.

These "free" services on the pc are just being bundled in with Live as an excuse to jack up the price as you saw this morning.

Are you daft? You said " I've decided to purchase a PS3 instead of a 360 R2. Microsoft just wants money.." If you understand basic English sentence structure, that means that you're buying a PS3 instead of a 360 for the reason being that "Microsoft just wants money" implying that you think Sony "doesn't".

Funny you should bring up information that isn't credible ;). The MP service is not free, this is what you childish people don't understand. If a PS3 is ripped apart and cost analyzed, you'll find several parts which cost very little to make and don't add up to the cost that the PS3 is sold. It's not just for Sony to make a profit, it's to fuel the different parts of the PS3 ecosystem that need to paid for to run. The money comes from somewhere to run the PS3 servers, I hope you don't think they magically run themselves.

Firstly, no one brags about having Facebook/Twitter on their 360s because very few people actualy use it.

Second, it's not up to you to decide what the general population needs or doesn't need, just because you don't use it doesn't mean no one else will.

Third, yes, gamers play on XBL. Well done. The first true fact you've come out with so far. high five for you.

While it doesn't affect me, I too would be upset being charged extra for -features- I don't want, ask for or even use(facebook, twitter, messenger)

I don't know a single person that use these on their xbox, they have a computer for that stuff.

The reasoning they gave is very weak and not believable at all, it would be more believable if they said it was due to inflation(according to some random inflation calculator google spit out).

EDIT: Also for those concerned about the price, according to google (599 Mexican pesos = 46.232617 U.S. dollars). Xbox Live Cards are not region locked.

a xbox 630 actully uses pc cpu's and easy to hack yet ps3 is still hack free plus all games that are on the xbox360 you can get on computer. how is it not free and how are they going to screw us even further? i havent been screwed with the rrod, i havent had to pay a penny in four years to play online.

While it doesn't affect me, I too would be upset being charged extra for -features- I don't want, ask for or even use(facebook, twitter, messenger)

I don't know a single person that use these on their xbox, they have a computer for that stuff.

The reasoning they gave is very weak and not believable at all, it would be more believable if they said it was due to inflation(according to some random inflation calculator google spit out).

EDIT: Also for those concerned about the price, according to google (599 Mexican pesos = 46.232617 U.S. dollars). Xbox Live Cards are not region locked.

when did 13 pesos = a dollar? the most i have seen was 11 and that was 10 yrs ago and only for a month out of six living down there