Zuckie: Keep my private life out of lawsuit

NEW YORK (Reuters) ? Facebook Inc Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg says a lawsuit by a man who claims to own a huge chunk of the popular social networking website is seeking to uncover needless details about his private life.

Zuckerberg is fighting a civil lawsuit filed by Paul Ceglia, an upstate New York resident who claims an 84 percent stake in the privately-held company, believed to be worth several billion dollars.

Ceglia, an owner of a wood pellet fuel company who lives in Wellsville, New York, is trying to return the case to a New York state court, after Zuckerberg moved it to federal court.

"They filed this remand motion to harass defendants under the pretext of obtaining jurisdictional discovery into Zuckerberg's private life," lawyers for Zuckerberg said in a Monday filing in the federal court in Buffalo, New York.

Ceglia alleged in a June 30 lawsuit that a 2003 contract with Zuckerberg entitles him to control of Facebook. Forbes magazine in March estimated Zuckerberg is worth $4 billion.

Federal courts can hear cases from parties in different states. Zuckerberg, 26, considers himself a California citizen, while Ceglia said both men are New Yorkers.

"The higher the stakes, the more likely you want to take advantage of procedural moves to improve your chances of winning, or settling on the most favorable terms," said Adam Steinman, a professor at Seton Hall University School of Law in Newark, New Jersey.

Steinman said "conventional wisdom" is often that defendants prefer federal court to state court, because cases might be dismissed faster or less likely to reach juries. "There could also be a 'home-field' advantage if a state judge were more sympathetic to a local plaintiff," he said.

It is unclear what details Ceglia hopes to uncover, or Zuckerberg wants to keep from being revealed.

Zuckerberg, a Dobbs Ferry, New York native, launched Facebook in February 2004 as a Harvard University sophomore. He dropped out after that year and moved to California.

Now based in Palo Alto, California, Facebook said it has more than 500 million users and 1,600 employees.

Terry Connors, a partner at Connors & Vilardo LLP in Buffalo who represents Ceglia, said he expects to respond to Zuckerberg's allegations in a court filing within two weeks.

A lawyer for Facebook referred a call to an outside spokesman, who did not immediately return a call for comment.

In June, Zuckerberg said he had no date to take Facebook public. The next month, he told ABC News he was "quite sure" there was no contract ceding Facebook ownership rights.

A hearing on Ceglia's lawsuit is set for October 13.

The case is Ceglia v. Zuckerberg et al, U.S. District Court, Western District of New York, No. 10-00569.

Source - Yahoo

Key phrase, "Seeking to uncover ..." I guess Mr. Zuckerberg doesn't want this to be more public than it already is. And about what he said, I wonder if he's afraid Ceglia will uncover something that could damage his reputation.

Zuckie? That's mature. There's nothing wrong with what he's doing unless his parts of his private life are necessary for the trial.

I think it is more to do with the fact that he doesn't really care about privacy for everyone (look at the Facebook privacy scandals one after the other). Double standards, when it comes to his own privacy he gets his knickers in a twist.

Devil's advocate:

If you don't put stuff on Facebook, there isn't an issue. If other people put stuff on Facebook about you, that's a problem with your friends.

Just because Facebook has the potential for people to put personal information up that shouldn't have been, doesn't suddenly mean that the guy who started it suddenly gives up all rights to privacy.

Devil's advocate:

If you don't put stuff on Facebook, there isn't an issue. If other people put stuff on Facebook about you, that's a problem with your friends.

Just because Facebook has the potential for people to put personal information up that shouldn't have been, doesn't suddenly mean that the guy who started it suddenly gives up all rights to privacy.

Go away, common sense aint allowed here

/s

I think it is more to do with the fact that he doesn't really care about privacy for everyone (look at the Facebook privacy scandals one after the other). Double standards, when it comes to his own privacy he gets his knickers in a twist.

He doesn't have to give a **** about anyone else's privacy though. If you don't want stuff in the open, don't put it on the internet. Its that easy. The only reason the privacy scandals exist is because nobody wants to take responsibility for their own privacy.

I thought Mark Zuckerberg said privacy doesn't matter, wonder what he's got to hide!

I'm fairly sure his comment was never intended to be applicable to stuff like medical records, personal finances or private correspondence.