Asus Monitor.

I have a Asus VH22. I am just wondering. I have my PC hooked up by the VGA port and my speakers to my tower. There are DVI and HDMI ports as well. I want to plug my Xbox from a HDMI or something into the screen, but how will I get a sound output?

I have a Asus VH22. I am just wondering. I have my PC hooked up by the VGA port and my speakers to my tower. There are DVI and HDMI ports as well. I want to plug my Xbox from a HDMI or something into the screen, but how will I get a sound output?

Well, if you use HDMI and the monitor has speakers onboard (or plugged in) you will get sound.

With DVI you have to plug in additional speakers into the XBOX.

I tried using my speakers that is connected from the tower to the monitor, and I don't get any sound but everything else is fine.

You may need drivers. Speakers may be dead.

No.... That's why the "hdmi" kit was made.

I have the same setup except I have the 24. Only way to get sound is to get the sound adapter that fits into the normal a/v port and then plug in left/right audio(red/white) or to use re digital toslink port that's available.

If you connect xbox via Microsoft xbox 360 via cable they give you left/right audio cables at the end of the VGA cable.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/191-4761214-4108632?a=B000UODATY

That is the hdmi kit I was talking about.

i got a Asus 24" LCD (Model = VW246H) on my PC.

i use it's VGA port to connect to my XBox360 (you can get a CHEAP VGA cable for the 360 on Ebay. price was $10 tops out the door) and then what i did to get sound out my Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1 speaks on my PC was use the standard white/red audio cables from the VGA and back feed it into the motherboard's LINE-IN jack and then i get sound output into my VASTLY better PC speakers as the speakers on the monitor are a JOKE! the sound quality is OK but the volume is WAY to low to be really usable to a enjoyable level even when it's on full blast at 100percent.

so in other words... what i did is FAR better than using the HDMI port (my 360 don't have a HDMI port on it but even if it did i would not use it) simply due to the monitors speakers are horrible vs my MUCH better PC speakers.

you will possibly need some slight adapters to branch the red/white cables back into the line in jack type but i think you can figure this out ;) (something like this... http://bit.ly/b7kXS1 will work but that one they give you is probably to short to reach the back of your PC (it's only 6inches) so you will most likely need a way to extend it from the monitor so that it can reach your PC's tower. which is what i ended up doing. but technically everything in that Ebay link WILL work 'as-is' with what i am explaining but unless your PC case is quite close to where that VGA cable plugs into your PC monitor you will most likely need a adapter to lengthen the "RCA to 3.5MM Adapter" piece so that it can reach your LINE-IN on the PC)

but total cost should not be to much as that cable in the link is $7.80 out the door plus the other pieces which i suspect should not be more than 5-10 bucks more (i did not price them since i had the stuff laying around the house). but that should be about 20 or less for everything which is still MUCH cheaper vs going the official MS adapters route.

p.s. if your PC's motherboard don't have a way to put audio into it through a LINE-IN then what i said won't work.

but using that VGA cable to hook in my 360 and the audio from the line-in is a MUCH better experience vs my standard def TV i used to use with OK speakers as text is much easier to read and just about everything across the board looks better as you can change resolutions in the 360 dashboard so that it uses the VGA cable properly with high res like 1080 or 720 etc.

If your monitor has built-in speakers, then it should work with HDMI automatically.

If you have speakers that sit on your desk or floor which connected to your computer, then it won't work because HDMI does not go through your computer from xbox for the sound unless you have HDMI port on your video card on your PC.

You will need a monitor with built-in speakers for HDMI mode.

Or you can get LCD TV with HDMI so you will use it for xbox

If your monitor has built-in speakers, then it should work with HDMI automatically.

If you have speakers that sit on your desk or floor which connected to your computer, then it won't work because HDMI does not go through your computer from xbox for the sound unless you have HDMI port on your video card on your PC.

You will need a monitor with built-in speakers for HDMI mode.

Or you can get LCD TV with HDMI so you will use it for xbox

if his monitor is like mine (which i am pretty sure it is) it does have built in speakers but the sound volume is a joke and not really usable (technically 'it works' but no where near a enjoyable level. i believe they are 2watt if it's like mine) because it's so low even when it's @ 100percent volume which means HDMI is not really a option for him as he's best off going the VGA route i explained in my above post if that's a option for him.

if his monitor is like mine (which i am pretty sure it is) it does have built in speakers but the sound volume is a joke and not really usable (technically 'it works' but no where near a enjoyable level. i believe they are 2watt if it's like mine) because it's so low even when it's @ 100percent volume which means HDMI is not really a option for him as he's best off going the VGA route i explained in my above post if that's a option for him.

I understand that but his model number is missing last 2 digits. I had no idea which. if only VH22 and that's it, then I am not sure that model has the built-in speakers or not. I looked at website and noticed that most models have at least 6 digits. Like your model number.

Most model labels will be shown on back, or on side. Sometimes it's shown on front panel like mine does. My model number is shown on front.

If you don't like built-in speakers in the monitor which it is not loud enough for your gaming experience, then you can get videocard with HDMI port so you will be able to play xbox games through your computer's software via HDMI. Or, you can get HDMI > VGA converter which shows that xbox > converter > PC > monitor off you go to play xbox with desk or floor based speakers can play loud enough for your gaming experience such as Logitech speakers, or whatever you have.