[Help] Troublesome NAT from Wireless Network

I am quite sure everyone who operates under a wireless network suffers from a "natural" firewall called "NAT".

This has become quite a problem as it disrupts many of the activities I use frequently back when I was under a normal network.

The following has become impossible after I installed wireless networking:

1. Fast speeds on Kazaa - The NAT blocks 80% of users for myself to d/l or u/l to.

2. File-sharing on IRC - The NAT blocks 99% of users from u/l off my server. Blocks 50% of users for myself to d/l off of.

3. Direct Connect - I am forced to use "passive" mode and I can no longer file-share with 70% of users.

However, I am also sure that everyone noticed many other things are left undesturbed. The speed of internet access and lan speed is still on par with the previous normal network.

The mission is to somehow work through the NAT or remove it completely. I have heard of techniques from the past, such as port forwording. However, I am uninformed and I am need of some help. The day I somehow overcome this NAT problem is when I can start relaxing again.

Hmm, kazaa works fine for me... IRC works too but you have to setup port fowarding, as routers vary you need to visit your specific routers homepage and check their support forums, or even your routers manual for more info regarding port forwarding

I am quite sure everyone who operates under a wireless network suffers from a "natural" firewall called "NAT".

This has become quite a problem as it disrupts many of the activities I use frequently back when I was under a normal network.

The following has become impossible after I installed wireless networking:

1. Fast speeds on Kazaa - The NAT blocks 80% of users for myself to d/l or u/l to.

2. File-sharing on IRC - The NAT blocks 99% of users from u/l off my server. Blocks 50% of users for myself to d/l off of.

3. Direct Connect - I am forced to use "passive" mode and I can no longer file-share with 70% of users.

However, I am also sure that everyone noticed many other things are left undesturbed. The speed of internet access and lan speed is still on par with the previous normal network.

The mission is to somehow work through the NAT or remove it completely. I have heard of techniques from the past, such as port forwording. However, I am uninformed and I am need of some help. The day I somehow overcome this NAT problem is when I can start relaxing again.

NAT doesn't mean "Natural" :blink:

It stands far Network Address Translation.

Also this isn't anything specific to wireless, this is how all routers work, when you only have 1 IP.

For Kazaa, all you need to do is forward port 1214 to the IP Address of which you want to upload and download kazaa.

same goes for the other applications that you wish other users to access behind your router.

Explanation of "NAT" :

Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.

NAT serves three main purposes:

Provides a type of firewall by hiding internal IP addresses

Enables a company to use more internal IP addresses. Since they're used internally only, there's no possibility of conflict with IP addresses used by other companies and organizations.

Allows a company to combine multiple ISDN connections into a single Internet connection.

could you explain how it's possible for myself to forward port 1214 to my ip address for use with kazaa and the other applications?

yes, most likely it would be possible - but also, if you would spend a few minutes reading the manual that came with your router. You most likely could figure it out yourself.

Most dsl/cable routers have a web interface - and the forwarding of ports is no more than clicking a couple of buttons. You can click a couple of buttons and put in the port number you want to forward, and the ip address of the machine you want to forward them to - can't you?

i have already tried the stated method and i ran into some troubles.

There are no specific instructions in my manual for port forwording and anything regarding ports are vaguely mentioned.

I currently operate under this wireless router:

Compaq iPaq CP-2W

If I can receive specific instructions, I'll be able to handle the situation.

Edited by Integral

i have already tried the stated method and i ran into some troubles.

There are no specific instructions in my manual for port forwording and anything regarding ports are vaguely mentioned.

I currently operate under this wireless router:

Compaq iPaq CP-2W

If I can receive specific instructions, I'll be able to handle the situation.

iPaq :blink: isn't that a PDA?

No, I'm afraid it's not a PDA.

I believe this is the solution to the problem; however, I am unable to fill in the spaces correctly as my tech. vocabulary is limited. If someone can assist me from here, perhaps there's still hope.

post-32-1058937619.jpg

Global Port: you set to 1214

then Local IP is the IP address of the machine that you want to use kazaa for.

Local Port set to 1214.

Comment : Kazaa

APPLY

There seems to be two problems that repeatedly happens.

1. If I use my NAT ip address, the result is "The 'Destination IP' cannot be a LAN IP address"

2. If I use my real ip address, the result is "The 'Local IP' should be within the LAN subnet"

Perhaps "virtual server" isn't my answer; however, there is no other options I can use that comes even close to port forwarding.

There seems to be two problems that repeatedly happens.

1. If I use my NAT ip address, the result is "The 'Destination IP' cannot be a LAN IP address"

2. If I use my real ip address, the result is "The 'Local IP' should be within the LAN subnet"

Perhaps "virtual server" isn't my answer; however, there is no other options I can use that comes even close to port forwarding.

Just like hte label says "it lets you redirect traffice" this is essentially port forwarding, play with it until you figure it out.

Otherwise i suggest you get a better router with a simpler interface.