• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Explorer Alternatives?

Quboid    0

What programs are good alternatives to Explorer for looking around the hard drive (not a replacement window manager - Litestep wins that hands down).

I've tried Powerdesk (too slow) and 2xExplorer (currently using). These are my requirements:

Must:

Fast

Dual Pane (like 2xExplorer, unlike MS Explorer)

Stable

Win2k compatable

Preferably:

Good looking (like MS Explorer, unlike 2xExplorer)

Freeware

Anyone got any ideas? Or even a site with a suitable list - I could hardly find any on www.downloads.com.

Flemens    0

Well with those credentials there is only one in mho, and it?s Wincommander www.ghisler.com it?s not freeware though, but it?s worth more money than it?s actual cost.

Quboid    0

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I tried Win Commander - pretty much like 2xExplorer except worse looking and not free :D

I'd downloading Universal Explorer now - it doesn't look that promising as it's built in readers and such - I spent a fortune on Editor Suite Pro, I don't want some crap reader instead ;)

Quboid    0

Magellan Explorer looks pretty good - but not free as you said - I'll try this for a while.

roban    0

If you want free and fast with no whistles and horns. Dual pane customizable and comfortable. The thing I really like about it is you can choose what directories the windows start in. Turbo navigator for me....I've tried them all

techbone    0

Try Frigate at www.winfrigate.com. It is not freeware but it is so awesome I actually paid for it.

me101    0

In my Amiga days, I used to use Directory OPUS, was excellent. Think there were supposed to come out with a PC version, saw a few screenies and it looked good, just cannot remember where I saw it.

I'm an old Xtree fan myself, and use on a daily basis both the old Xtree Gold 3.02 DOS (yea 'i know it's clunky and old and does not support long files names yadda yadda yadda) and it's new variation Ztree, which does fix all of the failings of Xtree.

It's nice to see other alternatives, I'm always looking to make my life that little bit easier when it comes to managing files on servers etc...

Quboid    0
Originally posted by roban  

If you want free and fast with no whistles and horns.  Dual pane customizable and comfortable.  The thing I really like about it is you can choose what directories the windows start in.  Turbo navigator for me....I've tried them all

It seems pretty good - it's about the only one with optional tree structures for the two panels. 2xExplorer had 1 tree structure for both which was OK, but I prefer just having a tree structure for the left hand side one (the right hand side is nearly always on my MP3 directory).

Some big probleme - how do you select multiple files? I'm very used to just dragging a box over the one I want like in Windows Explorer - this is very important! Also when selecting files clicking on blank space or on another file without holding down shift or ctrl doesn't unselect. Finally, when I select more than one file, the last file selected is in blue writting, even though I've selected white.

Selecting seems a bit of a mess, but it's good apart from that.