What Languages Can You Speak?

571 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Languages Can You Speak (fluently)?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five (or more)
  2. 2. What Languages Are They?

• English
    • French
    • Spanish
    • German / Dutch
    • Russian
    • Italian
    • Hebrew / Arabic / Other Similar
    • Other
  3. 3. How Fluent at Your Best (ONLY NON-NATIVE LANGUAGES)?

• Very Fluent (a whole speech)
    • Quite Fluent (a paragraph or so)
    • Enough to Get By
    • Odd Words
    • I ONLY Speak My Native Language

Just a quickie poll.

I can speak:

English - very well

French - a few important key phrases

German - One phrase (don't shoot)

Russian - One phrase (I love you)

Spanish - One or two words/phrases

German - native language.

English - fluently. More or less like a native speaker.

Italian - a few words and phrases. Just about enough to order a pizza.

French - a few phrases.

Spanish - a few phrases.

I've also learnt Latin at school, but that doesn't count as spoken language.

OP: What's with lumping German and Dutch together in the poll?

English - Native Language/Fluently

Italian - I can speak a few basic sentences and know some key words and phrases.

I speak one. One Zero One Zero Zero. With that I could steal your money, your secrets, your sexual fantasies, your whole life. In any country, any time, any place I want. I multitask like you breathe. I couldn't think as slow as you if I tried.

English: Native language.

French: I wouldn't say fluent, but I can have conversations with people and all sides understand.

I should have also voted for Spanish, but I can only speak a couple of phrases and have a mild understanding of what someone wants when they talk to me, so I don't count it.

I agree with Mephistopheles, why are German and Dutch together? They're not the same language...

I don't see how "knowing a few sentences" can be referred to as being "quite fluent". No language proficiency test will rate you as "fluent" if all you know are a few sentences.

I agree with this as well.

Hindi is my native language.

English I can speak fluently.

A little bit of Sanskrit.

No need to learn other languages, everywhere you will find someone who speaks english.

OP: What's with lumping German and Dutch together in the poll?

They are very close together and sound nearly the same. However, my cousins are German and cousins on the other side speak dutch so I do realise they are different languages :p

Changed poll wording too.

No need to learn other languages, everywhere you will find someone who speaks english.

It's a mentality like that that makes me want to learn more languages. Sure you can find someone in every country who speaks English, but you're in their country, you should try to speak their language.

I'm torn between taking up Chinese mandarin or German. I don't want to do both at the same time, it'll confuse the hell out of me :laugh:

Hindi is my native language.

English I can speak fluently.

A little bit of Sanskrit.

I disagree. I love learning other languages; one of these days I'll get around to learning French.

English is the 'lingua franca' of our time, sure. But why limit ourselves to it?

I can speak...

Papiamento (Native Langauge)..

English pretty wel (use it everyday)

Dutch pretty wel (use it everyday)

Spanish pretty wel

Italian moderate

Portuguese moderate

German a little bit

I disagree. I love learning other languages; one of these days I'll get around to learning French.

English is the 'lingua franca' of our time, sure. But why limit ourselves to it?

You're implying that English isn't perfect, and that it's limiting. I DO NOT LIKE YOUR TONE SIR.

English is my native language and the only one I can speak fluently.

I can say good morning in Welsh and I know a few words and phrases in French. I still remember a few words from Spanish, but very, very little.

On my to do list are:

French

German

Russian

Japanese

Of course, I also have a bunch of other things I want to learn/do so the harder stuff keeps getting pushed back ><

English - fluently. More or less like a native speaker.

Your written English seems to be better than that of many natives.

I'm torn between taking up Chinese mandarin or German. I don't want to do both at the same time, it'll confuse the hell out of me :laugh:

As much as I like German, I think Mandarin is a clear winner if going for how useful a language is, and it'll become more useful in the future. You'd have to have some additional reason to learn German instead of Mandarin.

You're implying that English isn't perfect, and that it's limiting. I DO NOT LIKE YOUR TONE SIR.

I'm in favour of a multi-cultural society where all kinds of language are spoken.

It's a mentality like that that makes me want to learn more languages. Sure you can find someone in every country who speaks English, but you're in their country, you should try to speak their language.

But I don't think I can learn that many languages. There are so many. In my country only, 18 languages are spoken! And I know only 1 of them. sad.gif

Off Topic - BTW, who's that in your avatar? Can you tell me the name because that girl looks so beautiful! Is she an actress?

English is my native language. Both my Dad and I learnt Swedish, however I rarely speak to anyone in it, so I'm not so fluent anymore. My Dad and I have Swedish conversations between ourselves so no-one else understands us.

I know a bit of German mainly; "my left indicator is broken" don't ask why I know this phrase but yeah...

And fluent sarcasm :)

[...]

HTML

PHP

Bit of Javascript :shifty:

Win!

I'm fluent in English - it is my mother tongue. At school, we were taught a fair bit of Spanish and German; I can't remember that much, but I remember some phrases and words in both.

But I don't think I can learn that many languages. There are so many. In my country only, 18 languages are spoken! And I know only 1 of them. sad.gif

Sure, there are loads of languages, and I'm not saying that you should be fluent in all of them. Heck, as I stated above I only know 2 well enough to get by. But if you're going on holiday somewhere, don't you feel bad if you can't at least attempt to order a meal in the native tongue? I went to a swiss-german part of Switzerland a few weeks back and felt so embarrassed that I could only ask for things in English or French. Knowing a few words here and there makes the people more friendly towards you as well I find.

English - fluent

French - Fluent

Afrikaans - Fluent

Portuguese - Pretty good

Dutch - Pretty good

German - Ok'ish

Spanish - Ok'ish

Funagalo - Ok'ish

I only speak American.

hehe

Where do they speak that language? Never heard of it.

Last time I checked, ENGLISH is spoken in the United States :rolleyes:

I'm sure it would be nice to have your country's official language originate from your own country, but too bad.