What Languages Can You Speak?

571 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Languages Can You Speak (fluently)?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five (or more)
  2. 2. What Languages Are They?

• English
    • French
    • Spanish
    • German / Dutch
    • Russian
    • Italian
    • Hebrew / Arabic / Other Similar
    • Other
  3. 3. How Fluent at Your Best (ONLY NON-NATIVE LANGUAGES)?

• Very Fluent (a whole speech)
    • Quite Fluent (a paragraph or so)
    • Enough to Get By
    • Odd Words
    • I ONLY Speak My Native Language

What would you guys say is the easiest to learn secondary language for a native English speaker?

I don't have a need to speak any specific secondary language, but I think it is something I may want to look into doing just out of pure interest. I have been looking around and it seems like Spanish, Italian and French are some of the easiest, but I really do not want to learn Spanish (not against the language, but it seems like so many people know it that it is not unique enough to spend time learning unless you have a need to, which I do not).

English - Native

Vietnamese - Native and reasonably fluent (Spoken at home most of the time to my parents and family relatives, etc.)

Indonesian - Reasonably fluent (studied Indonesian at school/high school for 8 yrs)

French Creol (My First native language) - Very Fluent

French (Second native language) - Very Fluent

English - Very Fluent (Though i am much better at "writing it" than actually "speaking it" - plus i hate my ugly French accent :p)

Thai - Quite Fluent - Spoken only though lived there for 3 years... couldn't get into the writing at all :p

Japanese - Enough to get by, even though i can manage to read/write it pretty well my vocab is still weak :s

German - Odd Words, used to learn it back in junior high... but it's so long ago i almost forgot it all

Korean - Odd Words... cause i loved to watch the dramas on TV haha

(And a bunch of unrelated computer languages :p)

Polish, as my native language;

English - I used to think I'm fluent at it, but since I learned to keep a healthy distance to myself and things, I'd say I'm only quite fluent.

I also used to study Russian (6 years, beginner + intermediate classes) and French (2x 3 year beginner classes), but I don't remember anything at all from those.

What would you guys say is the easiest to learn secondary language for a native English speaker?

I don't have a need to speak any specific secondary language, but I think it is something I may want to look into doing just out of pure interest. I have been looking around and it seems like Spanish, Italian and French are some of the easiest, but I really do not want to learn Spanish (not against the language, but it seems like so many people know it that it is not unique enough to spend time learning unless you have a need to, which I do not).

Norwegian is by many considered to be the easiest for native English speakers, however, it's far from being useful.

Romanian: Native language

German: Fluently, my day to day language since 10 years.

English: Fluently, I've been learning it since I was 3 years old.

French: A few words, just started learning it a few weeks ago.

Spanish: Not much, but I'll definitely learn it some day.

Norwegian is by many considered to be the easiest for native English speakers, however, it's far from being useful.

Hmmmm, that had came up in my searches, I am not necessarily looking for a useful language, just something I can (hopefully) learn and maybe use it to talk about anyone without them knowing. :p

It would be cool to learn something like Italian because I know a full-blooded Italian who speaks it natively in his home (around his wife and kids), not great friends with him, more like two people on a first-name basis but thats about it. But, it wouldn't really be useful to me outside of that, so if I ever move or anything it would lose all potential use for me which is why I'm open for ideas.

Its more something to do in my free time as well as something to keep my mind active. I did look into Norwegian after you mentioned it and it does seem to be easier in that the word positioning is often very similar to English. With other languages, sentence structure changes, sometimes a few words, sometimes very drastically. With Norwegian it seems the words only shift very little, maybe only a word or two a sentence, but nowhere near as drastic as the other languages seem to be (something like "I know five different languages" in Norwegian would almost have a word-for-word translation without having to reposition many, if any at all, words, but in other languages, some if not most of the words would change position, making direct translation more difficult as you not only have to learn the language, you have to re-learn sentence structure for that language, but not nearly as much with Norwegian it seems).

Any other suggestions anyone?

Brazilian Portuguese - Native

English - Speak fluently but I fall short sometimes, especially with the proper use of prepositions (on, in, at, etc.) :unsure:

Spanish - Cannot speak at all but can understand most of it since it is somewhat similar to Portuguese.

Good to know there are more Brazilians here... :D

Standardize language now!

Yea!

As for my langs, they are

Spanish (native)

Italian (almost, but haven't practiced it in years :( )

English (pretty damn good xD)

Finnish (just a lil bit, but learning^^)

Few words in other langs, but does that even count?

Icelandic's my first, although I'm reasonably fluent with English, depending on which part of the US I'm in. I visited a friend in Louisiana last summer, and met a few of his Creole friends. He swears they were speaking English but I think I made out every 5th word or so. Nice bunch of people but I could have been in Greece for all I knew.

I can also speak Jive if I've had a few drinks. (I'm sure someone here has seen Airplane..)

English - Native... Still not great. :p

French - I guess intermediate now? I can book a hotel, order food, buy train tickets etc don't think i could have a proper conversation with someone though.

German - Well... Enough to say "Hello, How are you?"