What Languages Can You Speak?

571 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Languages Can You Speak (fluently)?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five (or more)
  2. 2. What Languages Are They?

• English
    • French
    • Spanish
    • German / Dutch
    • Russian
    • Italian
    • Hebrew / Arabic / Other Similar
    • Other
  3. 3. How Fluent at Your Best (ONLY NON-NATIVE LANGUAGES)?

• Very Fluent (a whole speech)
    • Quite Fluent (a paragraph or so)
    • Enough to Get By
    • Odd Words
    • I ONLY Speak My Native Language

Spanish - Native

English - Quite fluent I think. I need to practice. I only use English to write and read on the Internet, whenI read a book and when I watch TV and movies. I rarely speak English, just when I get a call from work or when I go to the US and I usually go to Florida and everyone speak Spanish haha. :laugh:

English is native

French, I took from grade 3-7...Sadly, no one speaks much French here, so I've forgotten most of it. I can read some, thanks to stores having both French and English writing. I do however want to learn more French....Just not sure the easiest...And more important, cheapest way lol

I can also speak a little Klingon haha

Swedish - Mother tongue

English - Fluent

German - Fluent

Norwegian - Intermediate

Spanish - Basic, undertaking courses here in Berlin atm.

In my line of business it's not unusual with people speaking 3-4 languages fluently..

I'm only fully fluent in English. I speak very minimal Mandarin with my mom (it's more closer to "Chinglish" lol), can recognize only a few Cantonese words, and I just about forgot all my French education from high school and elementary.

With regards to the two Chinese dialects, I'm a little annoyed I didn't pick up on Cantonese at a young age. My dad tried a couple of times in my elementary years (but past kindergarten) to teach me to speak it, but failed. Thus I was at a bit of a disadvantage before university as my friends of Chinese descent spoke only Cantonese, as a side effect of the mass emigration from Hong Kong before 1997. Now with more mainland Chinese making their way to Canada the balance between Mandarin and Cantonese is evening out, plus there are a lot of international students from China who study at the University of Toronto.

Oh and C++, C, Java, Python, VB6... :p

French - Native

English - long sentences and paragraphs , accent when speaking it though

Italian - lack of vocabulary since its been a long time , but correct sentence

Spanish - basics

Welsh - First Language

English - Fluently.

C#, SQL, WPF, XML, XHTML, CSS - do these count? lol

I'd love to learn Russian, Polish or Korean one day.

GE

They are very close together and sound nearly the same. However, my cousins are German and cousins on the other side speak dutch so I do realise they are different languages :p

Changed poll wording too.

Probably you speak neither one of the languages and you think they sound nearly the same.

I am fluent in Dutch - lived in the Netherlands for 7 years, i wouldn't say i speak German too.

Seriously, what you are saying sounds very ignorant.

Knowing odd words and or phrases does NOT mean you can "speak" the language. Usually when someone asks "what languages can you speak?" they mean languages you can at least get by in.

English - Native

Spanish - Lived in Spain for 2 years - almost fluent

Russian - Ex-girlfriend from Russia tried to teach me it - can hold basic conversations

I did French and German for 3 years in secondary school too but I can't really remember any of it.