Apple TV is a rip-off in Canada

Xtreme $niper

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but I took the time today (I was slightly bored) to load up the Apple TV product page on both Apple.com and Apple.ca.

Put side by side, you'll notice some differences...

The Canadian version of Apple TV ...

- is $20 more expensive

- does not support "HD TV Shows"

- does not support Netflix

I don't know about you, but I'm not entirely convinced about this device right about now. I know Netflix is not in Canada yet but they had announced a few months ago that they would be launching here in the Fall. But if Apple isn't even going to bother touting that as a "coming soon" feature, then what if they aren't even going to implement it at all?

And this whole lack of TV show streaming in Canada thing is getting really old. Apple came into our mobile phone market and caused an earthquake in the pricing structure. Why can't they use their consumer power to push for TV shows to be shown across the border? We already get all the US based networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc. The difference is our local companies block them from being streamed by US companies. I think it's time Apple kicked them all in their faces.

I'm pretty tired of the pointless restrictions of electronics and services from USA to Canada.

EDIT: And you can be sure that whatever movies they allow you to rent will be of a limited selection compared to what would be available south of the border. A crippled service if I ever saw one. This is why online rental services will never succeed in Canada... at least until they knock off the nonsense.

Edited by Xtreme $niper
.Neo

I don't see much point in the Apple TV to begin with. Most cable companies have digital television plans here in the Netherlands which offer basically the same as the Apple TV, and more. As such I won't be buying it, and why should you if it doesn't do what you want it to do?

Doesn't the $20 price difference have to do with taxes and possibly the exchange costs between US dollar and Canadian dollar?

Lexcyn

All of the IPTV stuff in Canada sucks ... look at the XBOX, we have nothing good either (aside from a few crappy shows).

IMO it's because the stupid rules the CRTC puts on everything.

Dark_ph0enix

Same here in the UK - For a start it's ?99 which is $153. Now granted, a percentage of that is due to VAT, but even if you take VAT out, we still pay more for the machine than you would in the US. Then there's the rental cost / restrictions. I was initially considering picking one up, for in my bedroom, but I'm gonna go down the Western Digital TV HD / 1TB External HDD route, I think.

Lexcyn

Same here in the UK - For a start it's ?99 which is $153. Now granted, a percentage of that is due to VAT, but even if you take VAT out, we still pay more for the machine than you would in the US. Then there's the rental cost / restrictions. I was initially considering picking one up, for in my bedroom, but I'm gonna go down the Western Digital TV HD / 1TB External HDD route, I think.

Yeah I have been looking at the WD Live and it looks pretty sweet. One of my buddy's has one and he can stream anything, and there is no stuttering even though he's only on 54Mbps wifi.

Chasethebase

Yeah, in the UK, Apple TV is ?99, say you have a TV already.

• Most modern TV's come with Digital built in.
  • A TV license for a year is ?129
  • You can watch as much as you like.

Really there's no reason to buy it.

Andrew Lyle

It comes down to laws. Companies have to play a certain amount of Canadian content on both radio and TV (mostly commercials). This is basically the law, and if any company doesn't want to obey by this rule, they are not allowed to provide services to Canadians.

It's a stupid law, and I wish they would just remove it. It would bring so much to our country, but it might hurt our economy a little bit. They just need to tax the hell out of American companies.

PL_

In the UK you can spend ?50 more and get a machine that does far more (Xbox 360).

Dark_ph0enix

Yeah, in the UK, Apple TV is ?99, say you have a TV already.

• Most modern TV's come with Digital built in.
  • A TV license for a year is ?129
  • You can watch as much as you like.

Really there's no reason to buy it.

Pretty much sums my setup perfectly - Got a nice Samsung Monitor (2333HD) hooked upto a HTPC (Acer Aspire Revo) in the living room, and a 32" in the bedroom (kinda the wrong way around - but I prefer to watch movies in my bedroom). With iPlayer I don't need a tv licence (I do have one, valid until April, but trying to get a refund from TV Licensing, even though their own people state what I'm doing is perfectly legal, is like trying to get blood out of a stone), for the one BBC programme I watch each week.

Mostly, I want something to put my DVDs on. I've recently trimmed down my movie collection, to around 600 - 700 (all purchased - no pirated stuff), but I really wanna rip 'em. The WD + HDD route (plus a secondary HDD to back 'em up), seems like the option for me, at the moment - it should work out cheaper than buying an additional HTPC + external HDD.

Elliott

I think if the AppleTV expands in to the app realm (and I wouldn't be surprised if it does), then it'll be a much more attractive buy. Until then, it's fairly competitive in the US but certainly not a must have.

LightShadow

Yeah same for the U.K,no netflix or any decent streaming services for that matter. I'd be surprised if it had something like iPlayer,4oD or iTV Player. I''d rather get a 360. Or just link up my laptop and use the Internet.

Quattrone

Even Steve Jobs acknowledge that AppleTV is a hobby, which means a rip off, not worthy.

DannyMacD

yea ok, but look beyond the box...

i like to stream things from my itunes, via airplay, or airtunes whatever you want to call it. i can now stream content from any of my machines, my iphone and my ipad straight to my HD tv... airport express is ?89 so for ?10 more im getting alot more..

Xtreme $niper

Doesn't the $20 price difference have to do with taxes and possibly the exchange costs between US dollar and Canadian dollar?

It might have something to do with it, but that doesn't stop other items on the Apple store from being priced identically across the border. Quite a few things have price parity, actually. And in actuality, our exchange rate is so close that it's almost irrelevant: 99.00 USD = 102.645 CAD. I think for the most part it's just a cash grab these days. The PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii are all priced the same whether you are in the US or Canada, so it's clearly not much of an issue for them.

All of the IPTV stuff in Canada sucks ... look at the XBOX, we have nothing good either (aside from a few crappy shows).

IMO it's because the stupid rules the CRTC puts on everything.

Indeed, the CRTC should be put to sleep.

It comes down to laws. Companies have to play a certain amount of Canadian content on both radio and TV (mostly commercials). This is basically the law, and if any company doesn't want to obey by this rule, they are not allowed to provide services to Canadians.

It's a stupid law, and I wish they would just remove it. It would bring so much to our country, but it might hurt our economy a little bit. They just need to tax the hell out of American companies.

I think it also has to do with the fact that if an ABC show is going to be played over Apple TV in Canada, then the network that licensed that show here (like CTV for example) would want a cut of the profits. I think it's stupid, because we have a choice to watch the show on either ABC or CTV on the TV already. What makes streaming special?

I think if the AppleTV expands in to the app realm (and I wouldn't be surprised if it does), then it'll be a much more attractive buy. Until then, it's fairly competitive in the US but certainly not a must have.

That would give the it some more purpose, that's for sure... But then we'd end up with a similar scenario where apps like Pandora won't work outside of the US for the same pointless reasons.

Southern Patriot

The Canadian version of Apple TV ...

- does not support Netflix

Surely you aren't going to blame Apple for the fact that Netflix hasn't launched in Canada yet (although they are launching there this Fall)? I'd be willing to bet that once Netflix becomes available there, you will be able to stream it on the Apple TV in Canada as well.

onebadolepuddycat

Wow, the only thing that I am thinking of streaming is Netflix.....8.99 a month for unlimited content, streaming through the Wii, Blue Ray Player, my Pc, Xbox360, Ps3, My Mac, Web Enabled TV. Oh, I am sorry I take that back....I am about to stream free digital radio for an hour or two at work lol! Sorry Xm, its not really worth it.

Viper550

As far as I know, I don't think the CRTC has control over internet-based services of this nature. If anything, the Canadian broadcasters that often own the rights to the programming in Canada aren't being nice enough to allow this.

The only IPTV they can control is when its a "specialty television" service (like say, U-Verse or BT Vision vein)

Titoist

yea ok, but look beyond the box...

i like to stream things from my itunes, via airplay, or airtunes whatever you want to call it. i can now stream content from any of my machines, my iphone and my ipad straight to my HD tv... airport express is ?89 so for ?10 more im getting alot more..

+1

This is the main reason I am getting AppleTV, to stream my iTunes content to the TV. However, I do believe here in Canada we will be getting HD TV Shows because they are already available on iTunes so I don't know why they wont be available on AppleTV.

Dark_ph0enix

For less than the cost of the Apple TV in the UK, you can buy a Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player - basically a neat lil bag of tricks, that'll playback via USB Storage - or stream from your computer, almost every media format under the sun.

Elliott

For less than the cost of the Apple TV in the UK, you can buy a Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player - basically a neat lil bag of tricks, that'll playback via USB Storage - or stream from your computer, almost every media format under the sun.

The WD TV Live does have 1080p and more format playback over the Apple TV, but it requires an external USB wireless dongle for WiFi and is $50 more than the Apple TV.

Xtreme $niper

Not sure why this thread was moved out of the Apple General Discussion section... It has more to do with Apple than it does with Home Theaters (not everyone who will get an Apple TV is hooking it up to one).

... but sure...? :blink:

Surely you aren't going to blame Apple for the fact that Netflix hasn't launched in Canada yet (although they are launching there this Fall)? I'd be willing to bet that once Netflix becomes available there, you will be able to stream it on the Apple TV in Canada as well.

I'm not blaming Apple for that, I was just making note that it costs extra and yet it's missing features (whether that's in Apple's control or not, the price is in their hands). At least some sort of "coming soon" would have been nice, as I don't have high hopes that they will add support quicker than Microsoft or Sony will.

Lexcyn

As far as I know, I don't think the CRTC has control over internet-based services of this nature. If anything, the Canadian broadcasters that often own the rights to the programming in Canada aren't being nice enough to allow this.

The only IPTV they can control is when its a "specialty television" service (like say, U-Verse or BT Vision vein)

I believe the CRTC does have control over IPTV services ... I think it's anything you have to pay to view they can control the content (ie satellite, digital cable, and now IPTV).