• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Swansea - OMFG

mortensen    0

OMG - I live in Swansea [Wales, UK] and as usual I went out for a long walk [for a couple of hours]. Anyway, it was REALLY hot [sweat was just dripping off me] so I stopped of at the local Esso and so I bought a nice COLD drink of Cherry Coke out of the fridge in the garage.

Well, I drunk that VERY quickly and set off home. Well, I looked across the dual carriage way running all the way down Swansea [going past Tesco's] and I saw a bin... I though "Nah, they'll be one on this side of the road soon]. I was wrong. I had to walk for AGES to find a flamin' bin. I ended up walking for like 5-10 minutes just to get to a bin and then when I found one it was full and over flowing.

No wonder Swansea has such a litter problem! Broken alcohol bottles, burger wrappers, etc. People just place down empty drink bottles by signs and walk off [glass bottles]. ARGH!!!!!

PS - I'm still drenched [from sweat]. It's SO hot. That's why I normally go out for walk at 10pm, NOT 1:30. ARGH. Also, I would like to point out that almost everyone in Swansea is a total moron, not that anyone cares.

-mortensenj

cheekymonkey    0

Yaki dahr!! (Not sure of the spelling but it sounds like that??)

Truly the power of Neowin extends far and wide so we'll have to have a word with the council and get more bins eh?

A 2 hr walk with not a bit of new XP-related news.... oh.... my... God.... it does seem as though at least one of us can cope for that long :)

mortensen    0

LOL. I think I'll write off to my council next.

Just thought I'd let other people share their horror stories of chronic bin mangement and the like.

:)

-mortensenj

hob_se    0

swansea.. isn't that (a) near death experience..,*lol* :D

mortensen    0

@hob_se - Ouch... lol. Yup, it's pretty bad. But being 15 I don't have much say over where I live.

:( - Never mind.

-mortensenj

hob_se    0

ouch that hurt.... feeling OLD......... 15.. *sigh*. the net are ment for us old people.. we that are older than the PC....

*hitting young people with my caine*

:D

jackswan1    0

I totally agree with you about the rubbish problem, but as you saying you don't have much choice where you live, Swansea is not really that bad, unless you live in Fforestfach, or Swansea central. Llansamlet is pretty good. Which Tesco was it?

Jack

mortensen    0

I live in St Thomas which is VERY close to town centre... it only takes about a minute to get down to the town centre. I live by a lovely, well maintained basketball court [rubble with around 50% glass - laseration central] and can happily state that the whole of Swansea [central] sucks.

The Tesco's I'm talking about is in Swansea city centre. I don't just live in the huge area that is Swansea but I live near the city centre.

and get this...

SOME NOGGIN thought it would be a good idea [during the summer holidays and the key tourist time] to dig up the whole of Swansea and redo all the roads. Let me tell you this - I look out my window and all I see is traffic. Half of the road is coned off... and is now like a second pavement.

Also, since when has 24hrs meant "not open on Sunday"... ROTFLMFAO - Tesco's is open 24hrs a day, except Sunday.

At least it has a nice beach within a few minutes drive... which is actually quite fun for surfing and bodyboarding.

The one good thing about Swansea is that it's not bad at night. I go out for a walk every night at 10pm to 12pm and it's fun to walk. It's not threatening like most cities are made out to be. I walk straight past the town centre [which had Lou Bega - Mambo No5 playing last night - I thought I'd mention this cos I saw his first ever live performance].

ALSO: Get this song - "The Smiths - There Is A Light And It Never Goes Out"

-mortensenj

jackswan1    0

Yeah I've been caught a few times in that traffic jam along Fabian Way, not much fun.

I'm only living a few miles away in Llansamlet.

Jack

mortensen    0

Yeah, Fabian's way is right down the bottom of my lane (3 seconds away). It's nice to talk to someone so close. The annoying thing is that I have to dash across the road [it gets VERY busy] because they've now taken down the foot bridge at the bottom near the docks. Pffffff.

And I even learnt me some Welsh: "Ymddiheurwn am unrhyw oedi"

First one to tell me what that means in Enlgish gets a prize - A virtual handshake ;).

-mortensenj

Fil    0

I live in a very, very small village in Southern England. It is very peaceful, quiet and calming. When you wake up in the morning, or afternoon - depending upon the night before !! - you cannot hear anything apart from the birds in the trees and the cows in the field.

There is, however, one BIG downside to this. I live over 3 miles from my nearest telephone exchange and therefore will need to rely on 56k dialup for a while yet !!!

I can't see BT or NTL laying a big fat hookup pipe for me and only me. :s

Watermoss    0

"Ymddiheurwn am unrhyw oedi" = "I/We apologise about any delay"

Croeso,

Colin Stevens

y_ddraig_goch.gif

mortensen    0

Yup - Correct. The English on the sign said "Sorry for any delay". The annoying thing is that it's plastered all over Swansea because of all the roadworks they are doing. :(

-mortensenj

me101    0

Fil, I can appreciate what you are going through. I too know what it's like to live in a small village (I hail from Northern Ireland, where I sometimes thought we were always left behind in the techology race) of some 2000 people and back like 4 years ago, i had a wild old time getting a reilable 28.8 connection...

Have not been back for a few years, so I don' know if my local exchange has improved, I know we were the last ones to get "modernised" with a digital exchange and get our phones upgraded from rotary pulse to touch tone dialing!

I now live in the states, completly different environment! Have access to cable TV (none of this 4 channel nonsense, or 6 if you counted the two from the south, RTE1 and RTE2) with over 200 channels, and a really fast pipe to the net, which is ALWAYS on, and I pay like peanuts compared to back home! Mind you, I;'m in network admin stuff, so I know a thing or three about really big pipes of connectivity, but to go from a dialup 28.8 to a 150+k pipe it's not hard to be reminded about the good old days!

mortensen    0

I only moved to Swansea a year ago and that's when I first got cable. When I moved NTL were only JUST installing all the lines in my village and the whole place was a mess of patches and savaged pavements and roads. But cable is really useful.

It's a shame cable isn't more widespread. :(

-mortensenj

Daysleeper    0

Whats with all the welsh on this board ? I contracted for Swansea Industurial Components a while back.. nice place... but I don't think I will ever go back :-)

I live in the sticks too.. lucky for me I live practically next door to BT's biggest Multiplexer outside ManchesterLondon... so when they do decide to put the ASDL stuff in there... it will fly... but till then I can only get 56K.. :-(

futile    0

ManchesterLondon ?

-

I'm in London, I got ADSL its ok, bit slow thou. 58 k/s is boring, can't really watch good streamed Films at that.

-

-

Futile

Daysleeper    0

Manchester and London are where all the cables come together to be routed. I live on the edge of the river Humber and all the cables from the north come together in a multiplex to be sent under the river.... means when I connect to the exchange (what is in the same building as the multiplex) I get a good connection as its only 1 hop to either Manchester or London. ..BT's gateways.

willywonka69    0

Bridgeport, Texas they dont even know what computers are

mortensen    0

LMAO. I've lived way out in the country side b4 and being without cable must be awful [i've only had cable since I've moved to Wales - I wouldn't want to live without it now!!!].

-mortensenj

configure    1

atleast you didn't throw the can on the floor.. :D

mortensen    0

Hey! I might be a bad boy but I never litter... strange that. I go and download WinXP from the web [technically theft - just like using your version of Win98 on more than one computer] yet I consider littering to be an awful offense! LMAO.

I am Mr Hypocrit. :D:D

-mortensenj