So I'm eating 2 week expired hot dogs

Expired food is amazing when it tastes just like the non-expired stuff :cool:

Makes you wonder how accurate those dates are. Probably very accurate for milk and dairy, not so much for meat pre-cooked and covered in sodium nitrites.

:rolleyes: .... oh you kids!

Finally I'm down to the last 3 of the pack, and I still didn't get diarrhea so all is well.

My next challenge is to buy a frozen pizza, and keep it for a while :shifty:

Hahahha, I'm glad to see you are still around. Seems like expired hot dogs are not so dangerous!

Sheesh you don't post much but when you do :woot:.

*slaps face for excitement over an avatar*

A lot of that stuff is a sell by date and not a use by date. Also what type of hot dogs? I would trust some smoked kosher beef franks for a lot longer than some pork hot dogs made of seconds.

expiry dates (or rather sell by dates) are for the stores selling the goods to know when they should be taken off the shelves..

if it smells and looks ok, it is generally ok to eat, the dates on the packet shouldn't be taken as gospel.

meats that have been kept in a sealed package either in the fridge or freezer are perfectly fine to eat, and of course are fine to do so a few days after opening.. i.e. you use some to make a sarnie one day and then the next day etc

people shouldn't get so hung up on the dates of things.. and should more often use their own intelligence to decide if something is safe to eat or not.

basically, if it's not sprouting mold and smells ok, you are good to go wink.gif

• Jim K locked this topic