.CN or .COM ?

Someone I know is starting a new business: helping people in China emigrate to the United States. I won't go into details except that it will obviously be marketed to people in China. My question is, is it better to use .CN or .COM for the company website? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

And is this site going to be housed in China??

There is more to it than just having a photo ;)

http://www.utilitycomputing.com.cn/china/the-history-of-chinese-icp-and-cn-requirements

The History of Chinese ICP and .CN Requirements

"Once all the above is done, the domain name must also be pointed at a China assigned IP"

Im not 100% on all the requirements of having a .cn -- but to honest they seem nuts.. I would just go with a .com -- then you can host it anywhere on the planet for sure.. Using a country based .tld can have requirements on where hosted, who can register, etc.. Not really worth the hassles if you ask me.

this will work til the chinese government finds out about the site and blocks all traffic to it from china. plus we don't need anymore immigrants in the us right now2.... especially the way unemployment and the economy is right now

this will work til the chinese government finds out about the site and blocks all traffic to it from china. plus we don't need anymore immigrants in the us right now2.... especially the way unemployment and the economy is right now

1. Could you please elaborate on the blocking thing...?

2. FYI, it will be "investment immigration", meaning chinese people who are willing to invest millions of $$ into the US economy in exchange for coming here.

.cn would make it feel more legit than .com imho.

On the other hand, .com is much easier to get and have control on.

Heh, I was thinking the exact opposite, though I get suspicious about .us, .info and .biz TLDs when I see them.

But as it'll be aimed at China, I guess that's a non-issue.

.cn will make you seem to be a patriot and a give to a chinese identity

if that will increase profits then go for .cn

Chinese i suppose are a bit skeptical about .us,.in,.com.uk,.info,.biz,.com etc.

if housed in china then go for .cn

if the server is in us the go for anything that suits you!

it was very evident during the google china spat! :x