[my hobby] Unreal level designing

Oh well thanks! That one's already been released called DM-Botanica and can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0zlnm1mqgvz

I'm working on a medium sized VCTF map should be done by the end of the week hopefully:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bret_hart/4979808705/#/photos/bret_hart/4979808705/lightbox/' target='_blank' rel='noopener noreferrer'> Valencia

Also if you want to see my image gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bret_hart/

You have some real talent man. I've mess around with the UT3 editor and UDK but I can never seem to get the images in my head onto the screen.

Impressive from those 2 shots. Should post more (Y).

It's a Flickr slideshow.. just click newer / older.

With that said, yes these look amazing, you clearly are great at design. I've never worked with any engines in design like that - video / stills here; What are the file sizes like on a completed level, or level @ that stage at least like? Just out of curiosity. Also, about how many hours would you say you put into those.

Well each map is different of course, like my conveyor remake I had to do about 800 light sources, because indoor maps are more complex in lighting that way. You can't just use a few light sources, well you could but that would make it ugly :p

So usually about 2 or 3 weeks on each map.

Thanks alot :)

I thought about working for a company, but I'd lose all sense of freedom in what I want the way the map to be. I just couldn't do that honestly. Soon I'll post a gameplay video of the map I'm finishing up, a small-mediumish VCTF outdoor map.

Botanica looks like something out of Batman: Arkham Asylum, at least from the first two images you posted in the OP, did you get any inspiration from that game at all or is it just coincidence?

Not surprising since B:AA also uses Unreal Engine 3.

Botanica looks like something out of Batman: Arkham Asylum, at least from the first two images you posted in the OP, did you get any inspiration from that game at all or is it just coincidence?

The inspiration for that map was from gears of war; the first version of it was a big hit among the UT community but I since then improved the map using better assets that I had. The first version looked like this:

DM-Botanica3

DM-Botanica1

Not surprising since B:AA also uses Unreal Engine 3.

I know, its not that it looks (graphically) like B:AA, its just that the style of the map (or at least the style shown in the images) looks quite similar to B:AA.

The inspiration for that map was from gears of war; the first version of it was a big hit among the UT community but I since then improved the map using better assets that I had. The first version looked like this:

DM-Botanica3

DM-Botanica1

Ah, it does look much improved from the first version. Good job either way.

Been making maps since the days of tactical ops 2.2, I'm sure some of my old maps still exist on the internet somewhere... I remember taking 3 months alone for bankershours remake, it had all the cool features like a helicopter ready for take-off on the rooftop, working elevator with lights, lobby, and and objective for terrorists which was to hack the vault and steal the diamond to win the round :)

And then I did this big 64 player map where it was a hyro plant sorta, the fun part was terrorists had to get to the rooftop to hack the laptop, align the satellite which controlled the force fields to the missile silo controls, then launch the missile into orbit to win the round :D

Sometimes me and a buddy would take turns getting on top of the missile and riding it all the way to the top of the sky :D

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of TO 2.0, where i can play UT but with the TO Weapons.

lol I dunno if anyone plays it anymore

Some damn fine looking map making talent there! Video of how it plays?

Sure, when youtube stops being retarded.