• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

5.1 System for PS3

AbandonedTrolley    93

Finally getting my own place so looking to get a decent setup for my PS3. Sadly right now the budget isn't too high so was looking at this here

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts3305/onky-hts3305-blk

Anyone comment on it or advise of anything else I should maybe consider instead. Don't really want to be spending over ?300 though.

AbandonedTrolley    93

Seems decent enough but really want something black/darker to go with setup rather than the silver of that unit.

shakey    1,127

Really, you can't go wrong with any system, if you are upgrading from almost nothing lol.

I bought my 5.1 system about 6 or 7 years ago, it is only I believe 500w, and people are just blown away by how everything sounds still. I have heard 1000w systems, and they are just amazing, but there is not much of a difference. Of course, I did add on some custom speakers and some explode subs out of my old car onto the system. But I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get. Mine is a RCA that doesn't do DTS, only Dobly 5.1, though it says it should do DTS on the LED display lol.

My front speakers are about 3ft tall by 2 ft wide, both with tweeters and xplode subs. got another sub sitting inbetween them. A center speaker just under the tv, and then 2 small back rear speakers that are the original speakers that came with the set up. The first 3 I have added on from other systems, as they sound a little better. But for rear sound, you don't need too great of speakers.

+BeLGaRaTh    43

The z5500's are the dogs danglies, you won't regret buying those, plus you can use other sources too with them. Highly recommended

shakey    1,127

I wouldn't but this since it seems to have less less connectivity option and i don't see any hdmi in the spec. maybe i am wrong.

To get the most out of the HT buy it with A/V receiver like the Onkyo system you mentioned.

How much better is HDMI sound compared to Optical? Mine lacks HDMI, but I have always just used Optical.

still1    251

How much better is HDMI sound compared to Optical? Mine lacks HDMI, but I have always just used Optical.

same like how a HD video will look compared to SD.

Its not just the sound that would be better but the video quality as well.

I have my PS3 connected via HDMI now and i can see a big difference compared to my old setup.

OP mentioned he is looking for a setup for his PS3 without hdmi he wont be able to take full advantage of both the systems.

shakey    1,127

same like how a HD video will look compared to SD.

Its not just the sound that would be better but the video quality as well.

I have my PS3 connected via HDMI now and i can see a big difference compared to my old setup.

OP mentioned he is looking for a setup for his PS3 without hdmi he wont be able to take full advantage of both the systems.

Ya, been doing some reading on it now, and it seems that HDMI can output a lot more lossless quality sound than optical, but what most people seem to agree on is that it really isn't the cable you use, but the speakers. If your speakers are not the best, the difference between cables will be nonexistent. But if you have a awesome set up, then you can get just amazing lossless sound out of HDMI. I believe a article said Optical is like 1.something mb a sec streaming, and HDMI can get up to a little over 20mb/s. But in the end, it is the speakers that make the bigger difference.

Apparently the PS3 can do TrueHD sound, so your receiver only needs to be able to accept HDMI 1.1 , and you can get TrueHD sound from Blu-Rays, with the help of the PS3.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Finally getting my own place so looking to get a decent setup for my PS3. Sadly right now the budget isn't too high so was looking at this here

http://www.richersou...nky-hts3305-blk

Anyone comment on it or advise of anything else I should maybe consider instead. Don't really want to be spending over ?300 though.

That's a nice setup (Y)