• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

1000D or D3000

yeoo_andy_ni    34

I'm going to start small and get one of the entry level DSLR's, but what would be my best choice between the Canon 1000D or the Nikon D3000?

I've used both Canon (400D) and Nikon (D60) before, so I am comfortable with both cameras, I just want to find out from the more experienced users what they think.

RuuddieBoy    15

I think the Nikon is a little bit better in the specs (less noise at high ISO values if I remember correctly), but it all comes down to one thing: Which camera feels best in your hand. You have to carry it around all the time, so it just has to feel perfect.

A year ago I was doubting between buying a 500D or D5000 (the bigger brothers of the cameras you're looking at). I had my mind set on getting the D5000 because tests (http://www.dpreview.com/) said it was just a bit better at some things but once I got to the store and held them both, I found that the D5000 just didn't fit my hands nicely. So I picked the 500D (T1i) and haven't regretted my decision since. Another thing that had some weight in my choice was that all my friends have Canons so we can exchange lenses once we all have better lenses.

Argote    73

As mentioned it all comes down to the feel in your hands, when I bought my DSLR a little over a year ago, I prefered the feel in my hands of the A200 over the D60 or XSi (450D) (which were the other candidates I was looking at). That and the great deal I got made me go for it.

Out of the two you're considering I think the D3000 is better specs-wise and may handle better since I haven't heard that many good things about the XS's (1000D's) handling.

What is you budget and where do you live, BTW?

yeoo_andy_ni    34

Both felt grand. I can't really decide if one was better than the other to be honest.

I'm living in the UK, and I'm getting this for my birthday (30th) in a couple of months. My wife is going to get it early, like in a weeks time though. Budget is about ?400.

She has seen a 1000D in Argos with a twin lense bundle for ?419 (I think), so that would be good to get me started I feel. I'm looking to get decent pics out of the entry level stuff, then upgrade to the next level myself after, but obviously keep all the lenses I will purchase. I'm going to get a 50mm f1.8 lense to take nice portraits, can anyone recommend a good one?

Argote    73

Both felt grand. I can't really decide if one was better than the other to be honest.

I'm living in the UK, and I'm getting this for my birthday (30th) in a couple of months. My wife is going to get it early, like in a weeks time though. Budget is about ?400.

She has seen a 1000D in Argos with a twin lense bundle for ?419 (I think), so that would be good to get me started I feel. I'm looking to get decent pics out of the entry level stuff, then upgrade to the next level myself after, but obviously keep all the lenses I will purchase. I'm going to get a 50mm f1.8 lense to take nice portraits, can anyone recommend a good one?

Well, get it now if you're going to start using it as soon as you buy it, if you're just gonna buy it and let it sit on a shelf until your birthday then I recommend waiting to buy since prices will probably drop.

As for the lens, basically get whichever 50/1.8 your camera manufacturer currently offers.

Also, sometimes you may want to upgrade a lens in the range of what you already have so you might end up selling your current lens to get a better one.

Dane    177

You know the nikon D3100 comes out soon? It replaces the D3000. It looks really good, I was after the 3000, and I will be picking up the 3100 a little after it comes out.

Argote    73

You know the nikon D3100 comes out soon? It replaces the D3000. It looks really good, I was after the 3000, and I will be picking up the 3100 a little after it comes out.

He's after the D3000 for the price though, the D3100 will be significantly more expensive when it launches than the current asking price for the D3000.

Dane    177

He's after the D3000 for the price though, the D3100 will be significantly more expensive when it launches than the current asking price for the D3000.

True true. Sorry.

richardsim7    125

As for that 50mm/1.8, the camera is DX so 35mm will equal about 50mm. I'd highly recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S :)

yeoo_andy_ni    34

Thanks for the replies guys. Going to actually go for the D3000, twin lense kit, from Jessops. I feel that I've had better results (image quality wise) from the Nikon.