PS3 Firmware 3.50 (3D Blu-Ray movie support & possibly XMB Netflix)

Maybe it's true:

My link

PS3 update disables third party pads

The recent PlayStation 3 firmware update has disabled certain third party pads, USB devices and PS2 to PS3 controller converters, users have claimed.

Scores of people have posted on Sony's official message boards that their third party add-ons are no longer working.

When the Blu Ray-friendly firmware update went live earlier this week, Sony explained, "SCEA does not support continued functionality of counterfeit or unlicensed controllers in system software updates and these devices may cease to function in the future because of system software updates.

"SCE and its affiliated companies disclaim all liability for any loss or damage suffered by you or any third party through the use of counterfeit or unlicensed products."

However, there have been a number of complaints that some above-board MadCatz pads and Guitar Hero accessories no longer work either.

We've asked Sony for an explanation and will update when it gets back to us.

Here's the explanation: It's to prevent any form of the current hack.

Vulnerabilities discovered with OtherOS: Sony removes OtherOS.

Vulnerabilities discovered with USB devices: Sony removes all unauthorized USB devices.

As far as skipping frames in movies, I have never been able to really do it. I can do 1.5x FF, and that is it. Anything faster will freeze up and error out, but it has always been like that. I thought it was more due to the lack of power my single core cpu has, and less on the ps3. DVD/BR I can FF just fine, but anything being streamed is not FF or RWable , at least for me, Unless I copy it to the PS3 HDD.

And All my Rockband items still work just fine :)

As far as skipping frames in movies, I have never been able to really do it. I can do 1.5x FF, and that is it. Anything faster will freeze up and error out, but it has always been like that. I thought it was more due to the lack of power my single core cpu has, and less on the ps3. DVD/BR I can FF just fine, but anything being streamed is not FF or RWable , at least for me, Unless I copy it to the PS3 HDD.

And All my Rockband items still work just fine :)

I def cant FF or RW too much while streaming anything with an HD res... SD video is ok but I get a network error while streaming 720p videos..

I def cant FF or RW too much while streaming anything with an HD res... SD video is ok but I get a network error while streaming 720p videos..

I sort of like watching movies in 1.5x speed lol. It is just funny and sound is freaky, but it still plays smooth. I like though when someone is like, Oh, I want to see that part again. I'm like, nope, cant do that, no rewinding, unless we start the whole movie over LOL.

Vulnerabilities discovered with USB devices: Sony removes all unauthorized USB devices.

What happens when they get the hack working with a PSP?

Never thought of that :)

Either way, USB memory sticks are still supported so I guess the hack is still working.

Until shagrath returns try these builds - http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaservercontrib/

They have community patches built in.

Thanks. I tried it and same thing. I also uninstalled and removed config file, reinstalled and same thing. Almost 1 minute to skip 7 minutes in. Sigh.

If I change mkvs to vob/mpg they work fine. I should be doing that anyway I guess. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I believe companies realize that 3d is not the biggest thing since LCD, but I do believe they think if they don't hop on the bandwagon then they will be left behind. Also, I don't know why everyone gets so worked up about netflix? I mean its like 10 buck a month for crappy old movies that look "OK" at best. I'd rather just get HBO or Starz from my cable company and get their on demand content, which is alot better than netflix, for about the same price of 15 bucks a month.

Silly Rabbit. Starz is included with Netflix. As is Epix.

Oh and Netflix will have downloadable software on the PS3 in the coming months.