• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

No IE9 for Windows XP - Will Microsoft regret this decision?

No IE9 for XP - Good or bad idea?  

298 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frylock86    95

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes over at ZDNet, posted today an interesting piece claiming that more users than not are upset that XP is being left out in the cold when it comes to newer technologies such as IE9, saying that it could be a decision Microsoft could quickly regret, as more users find themselves on other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox. But with the EOL of XP quickly approaching, will it matter?

Yikes! I think my inbox nearly melted from all the comments you?ve been sending me regarding Microsoft?s decision not to release IE9 for the XP platform.

One thing?s for sure, you Hardware 2.0 readers are a passionate lot, and a lot of you still use XP, and you?re very attached to the aging OS. Those attached to XP don?t like Vista and don?t seem all that excited by Windows 7 either. You don?t want to have to spend the money, you don?t want to have to learn how to use a new OS, and you don?t want to have to spend money unnecessarily ?

? but you want IE9 ?

Note: Over the past month, the stats for Hardware 2.0 show that Windows XP and Windows 7 visitors are neck-and-neck at 40% each. Worldwide, XP usage seems to be at around 66%.

Hey, I feel your pain. It sucks to have the door to cool new stuff slammed in your face (my first-generation iPod touch is perfectly functional but won?t run the new iOS4 ? it sucks ?).

But XP is old. It was first released in 2001, and the last service pack was released nearly two and a half years ago. That?s eons in the tech world. As much as we?d like things to last forever, it doesn?t happen. XP users have had a good run, but time is ticking. It?s still supported, but the day will come when support is switched off ? April 2014 ? it?s not that far away ?

Note: I?m curious and somewhat intrigued by those who are sticking with XP ?for now? but who are ?planning? to switch to Linux once Microsoft ?pulls the plug on XP.? Hmmmm, really ? ? I?m doubtful to say the least.

If Microsoft was just arbitrarily choosing to lock out XP users for no real reason, I?d be the first to object. But this isn?t the case here. Microsoft wants to add hardware acceleration to the browser, and to do that it has chosen to use Direct2D APIs, something that isn?t available on XP. Many of you have expressed that this is a mistake that Microsoft will regret.

But like I said in my original post (and many of you ignored), just because you?re using XP, and can?t use IE9, that doesn?t mean that you can?t make use of a modern browser - Firefox, Chrome and Opera all continue to support XP ? for now ? that too will eventually change.

XP is waning, and those sticking with it will find themselves increasingly marginalized over the coming months.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/readers-have-spoken-no-ie9-on-xp-is-a-mistake-microsoft-will-regret/9738

Personally, I agree with him. Despite its 60% market share, XP is old, dated, and in the 'extended support' phase of its life cycle - Something which most people seem to forget. Any going back now would only serve as another excuse to cling on to this piece of flotsam for dear life. This is a last ditch attempt at XP holdouts crying and moaning that Microsoft won't support their OS of choice, despite them still wanting to use it.

So, will this be a mistake that Microsoft later regrets?

Mr. Gibs    3,865
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes over at ZDNet, posted today an interesting piece claiming that more users than not are upset that XP is being left out in the cold when it comes to newer technologies such as IE9, saying that it could be a decision Microsoft could quickly regret, as more users find themselves on other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox. But with the EOL of XP quickly approaching, will it matter?

Nope. If you want to use old technologies / products, don't expect newer things to run on it. Simple.

billyea    198

XP users just can't accept that they're running an OS that is too old for IE9, the crowning feature of which is full hardware acceleration through Direct2D and DirectWrite.

I'm fine if you're fine with XP, but to think of it as something Microsoft has to support forever is just silly. Technology has moved on.

Ji@nBing    53

It's time for XP to die. How long are they expected to support it? 20 years?!?!?

c3ntury    133

Just kill XP already >.>

inferniac    38

No they won't, XP is outdated and people should finally realize that.

LiquidSolstice    115

Simply put, there is no defense applicable to XP users in this scenario. The common argument to keep using it is that it "just works". Which is great. That implies that you don't need anything more from your XP machine than you currently get now, which means you really shouldn't be interested in IE9 anyway.

+jamesyfx    362

XP is old, and Microsoft aren't even selling it, even for OEM's.

Windows XP is only 3 years older than Windows 98 - and Microsoft stopped supporting windows 98 ages ago. People talk about 98 as if it's an antiquity, and when in real terms XP is almost as old as that.

Windows 7 is 8 years ahead of XP. So it's had a good run, but now it's time to leave it behind.

Frylock86    95

I'm curious as to why there are 3 votes for 'yes'. Why aren't those 3 talking?

ahhell    1,303

XP is old, and Microsoft aren't even selling it, even for OEM's.

Windows XP is only 3 years older than Windows 98 - and Microsoft stopped supporting windows 98 ages ago. People talk about 98 as if it's an antiquity, and when in real terms XP is almost as old as that.

Windows 7 is 8 years older than XP. So it's had a good run, but now it's time to leave it behind.

:blink:

Huh?

Inklin    28

Windows 7 is 8 years older than XP. So it's had a good run, but now it's time to leave it behind.

:blink: lol

+jamesyfx    362

Haha.

It was a typo, I'm sure you can all decipher it. :p

soldier1st    40

XP does indeed need to die as with all things you can't support something forever and after a time you will need to either migrate to something supported or try to holdout and beg not be hacked or exploited.

briangw    131

no, this will force people to upgrade or use IE8 for awhile

qdave    159

no, this will force people to upgrade or use IE8 for awhile

haha there are a lot of people still stuck on ie6..which is pathetic. Not only they wont upgrade to ie9 if it was available, they arent even upgrading to ie8.

Pulgafree    3

I will try to explain myself as much as possible. Microsoft did a too good OS. Windows XP was build to last. MS didn't knew it back then, but it was a very solid piece of software and receive a overwhelming user based.

Those 2 factors (A really good OS/Software and millions of users) make XP last that much. That means bad business for MS. Why? Compare it to the hardware revisions, and the updated/upgrades a CPU chip or Video Card gets in a year and you will notice the business dynamics.

AMD (ATI) and nVidia upgrades the chips on their graphic cards once a year at least. Making even more derivations of it (Low end card to High End), selling firt the top notch cards first at premium prices. Then the low end cards. After a year or two max, they release another new chip, with 50% to 100% more powerfull, more transistor, more cool, more shinny, etc, etc.

They force you to upgrade to a new card. Not because the developers of games want it. Its because the chip manufactures need it to stay in the business. There is no business to sell a graphic card to customers once in 6 years.

Consoles are other story, the company wich builded or requested a chip to build earns money on the sales of games. Thats because is good to mantain a single version of it and protect the developer of software to keep it working in too many different pieces of hardware.

MS and software/hardware vendors did a good job supporting XP for all this years. But remember to stay in the business they need to people keep investing in innovation. As you do with your video cards and cpus.

Windows XP lasted what it should be. 9 wonderfull years. Everything comes to an end. And in the next months more and more people will realize it is time to invest on another OS. And again, on the hardware too.

Let give MS the credit they deserve. XP did what it should, give solutions to everybody who needed a PC working. 9 years has past. People should realize this and get the idea that XP is old, and new hardware of software could be incompatible for it.

NOTE: I have a lot of spelling and grammar problems, sorry.

zeke009    67

Hopefully some of the XP holdouts get a chance to use Windows 7 and decide to upgrade, they continue to use XP and accept it's limitations or they hurry up and transition to *nix and quit crying.

SoCalRox    246

I want to know why I can't use IE9 on Windows 3.11. I feel marginalized! :unsure:

As to Microsoft building XP as a solid product... not until SP2. Original XP was a mess. A lot of the same comments about Vista were made about XP.

redvamp128    321

(please read my statement carefully before you say I am wrong)

- What I think they did was right as far as not releasing a release for it- but in the end they might regret not releasing one for XP.

The reason for that is simple

People on XP will Just move onto another browser-

Just like I remember our guest computer ran Windows ME-- (which IE 6 was the highest it could run) we had to install Opera. We upgraded our office computer to Windows 7 and put the XP machine for the guest to use.-- It is a computer just for checking email while a guest is traveling.

Just because they kill support does not mean people still won't be using it.....I remember it took a very long time for people to move onto XP from Win98/ME--

Win98 max for Ie was 5.5 - Win ME- 6.0... But then again that is when the bulk of the people moved to FireFox or Opera.

ScorpioRGc1    46

XP simply doesn't have the technology or tools to run IE9; it is a no-brainer why there is no IE9 for XP. Do DirectX 9+ games work in Windows 3.x? No. Same thing with IE9 and XP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next version of Office doesn't work for XP either (and would only be somewhat surprised if they cut Vista support for the next version of Office, too, to be honest).

Frylock86    95

XP simply doesn't have the technology or tools to run IE9; it is a no-brainer why there is no IE9 for XP. Do DirectX 9+ games work in Windows 3.x? No. Same thing with IE9 and XP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next version of Office doesn't work for XP either (and would only be somewhat surprised if they cut Vista support for the next version of Office, too, to be honest).

Heck, I'm surprised they made Office 2010 able to run on XP...

xdot.tk    118

I could care less. I hate IE. I still have IE6 on my XP.

LightEco    140

People on XP will Just move onto another browser-

I disagree because I bet the vast majority of people still using XP don't know and don't care what version of IE they have. They will just keep using it. I highly doubt that anyone will be soo enraged (or even informed) about not getting IE9 to switch.

redvamp128    321

I disagree because I bet the vast majority of people still using XP don't know and don't care what version of IE they have. They will just keep using it. I highly doubt that anyone will be soo enraged (or even informed) about not getting IE9 to switch.

I was actually speaking of experience of seeing people who even after XP had been out after 3 years still running Win98-- and what their browser choice was-- but Yes you are right the majority still ran IE6 until MS started forcing people to update to IE7 with Automatic Updates.

All of the people I knew who still ran Win98 switched to Firefox to stay current with the browsers.

Frylock86    95

I was actually speaking of experience of seeing people who even after XP had been out after 3 years still running Win98-- and what their browser choice was-- but Yes you are right the majority still ran IE6 until MS started forcing people to update to IE7 with Automatic Updates.

All of the people I knew who still ran Win98 switched to Firefox to stay current with the browsers.

Naw, They're forced off IE 6 even on XP. Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc, all have dropped support for the browser.