No IE9 for Windows XP - Will Microsoft regret this decision?

No IE9 for XP - Good or bad idea?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. No IE9 for XP - Will Microsoft regret this?

• Yes
    • No

XP users can use Google Chrome. Their hardware acceleration still supports XP.

But seriously, XP user should just updated already. Most hardwares unless you are using hardwares 10 years ago all support Windows 7 already. I never seen 1 still not supporting yet. Vista is great to me too. Just that it is a large jump from XP and more demanding than XP, then people complain. They expect their old computer maybe build on 2001 to work on Vista. If the users 1 2 blame, blame themselves.

Will Microsoft regret this decision?

No. Windows 7 have quite some users already. And normally a IE version lasts for about 1-2 years. So by the time IE10 is in beta, I think most people already update to Windows 7 and using IE9.

Am I the only one who wonders why would one want an IE9? (regardless of OS)

In terms of usability, performance, extensions, and security,

SRWare Iron FTW. wink.gif

P.S.

I know IE9 has hardware acceleration and I've been testing its early beta for a while,

yet nothing compares to a Chromium-based browser.

P.S.

I know IE9 has hardware acceleration and I've been testing its early beta for a while,

IE9 has the best security, and the best UI. Plus it has pin to taskbar feature with Window 7 which makes it the best browser for Windows 7.

It is not a matter of preferring XP, or of stubbornly not wanting to upgrade, or of being too lazy to do so. It is a matter of cost.

My present PC (3 years old), with XP pro and IE8 and the installed software do all I want at an acceptable speed. It is stable and just works fine day in day out. It is a tool fit for my purposes.

To upgrade to Win 7 (cost) would also require me to purchase later versions of several software packs that I use (more cost, and yes, I do know about XP mode on Win 7 pro or ultimate). Some of my hardware peripherals have no drivers for Win 7, so would also need to be replaced (yet more cost).

I'll face the cost of upgrading everything when I get a new PC, either if/when some part fails for which a replacement is no longer available, or in April 2014 when XP runs out, whichever comes earlier. If the latter it will probably be Win 8 or 9 and IE 10 or 11 :-)

Meantime I really don't care about IE9 not being available to me. I have no problems using IE8 for the websites I frequent.

I don't think they will regret this. there are many core technologies in vista and 7 that IE9 seems to utilize which XP does not have. an xp version of IE9 would be a stripped down one and probably be as useful if not the same as IE8. Microsoft stated that they were no longer releasing updates for XP, I believe IE9 falls into this category

It is not a matter of preferring XP, or of stubbornly not wanting to upgrade, or of being too lazy to do so. It is a matter of cost.

My present PC (3 years old), with XP pro and IE8 and the installed software do all I want at an acceptable speed. It is stable and just works fine day in day out. It is a tool fit for my purposes.

To upgrade to Win 7 (cost) would also require me to purchase later versions of several software packs that I use (more cost, and yes, I do know about XP mode on Win 7 pro or ultimate). Some of my hardware peripherals have no drivers for Win 7, so would also need to be replaced (yet more cost).

I'll face the cost of upgrading everything when I get a new PC, either if/when some part fails for which a replacement is no longer available, or in April 2014 when XP runs out, whichever comes earlier. If the latter it will probably be Win 8 or 9 and IE 10 or 11 :-)

Meantime I really don't care about IE9 not being available to me. I have no problems using IE8 for the websites I frequent.

i agree. i have a few users who don't want 7, 1 does not because XP works for them but it does like to act up a lil bit after awhile so it has a temper, another user uses XP because of the lack of ram(512MB at most or the system will destabalize due to it having a power surge a few years ago and nearly destroyed it only the CPU was replaced as it died but the mobo does has some damage on it though it still works, dryers and power cords don't mix when dryer is mad) and if the customer is happy with XP or whatever then why force the change when they don't want to?i will of course continue to support them and fix any issues that come by but then they will at some point have to decide what to do.

The only regreat I can see them having.... they are cancelling out a user base from their market share with the other big browsers, all of which run on XP.

P.S.

Do you also wonder why there exists choice and preference?

The only regreat I can see them having.... they are cancelling out a user base from their market share with the other big browsers, all of which run on XP.

doesn't matter

they are not making money from that browser

they are making money from windows 7

they went the people to upgrade

P.S.

Fanboi much?

IMO, the only thing Chrome can do that IE9 can't. Is run on Windows XP. But comparing, and talking up another browser, isn't really what this thread is about.

doesn't matter

they are not making money from that browser

they are making money from windows 7

they went the people to upgrade

I'm sure they care a lot. Their online presence is very much a factor in Microsoft's money making abilities. Hence they are pushing Bing so much. They want their products on top so they can call the shots on the Internet.

Windows XP ****ing sucks. I can't believe all the problems I had with it, all the HD crashes from trojans, all the msconfiging, services.msc'ing, Task Manager bull****.

Even though I run Windows 7 64bit only now if you were having that many problems with XP the only one you can blame is you with proper anti-virus in place and common sence you would not have had any problems with XP. I still have XP running on my backup machine and it has been installed for 8 years with no problems at all.

Nope they will not! Don't get me wrong Windows XP is an awesome OS but it is getting a bit older now and Windows 7 in my opinion is alot faster with more features and more secure. People need to move on up and realize this.

*Never thought I would say that especially after my expierence with Vista.

They are not going to regret anything. People just don't understand that Microsoft wants everyone to get away from XP and jump to Windows 7. XP was great back in the days, but it is old technology now. People need to move on and let it go and if they won't do it, Microsoft will do it for them by simply stop supporting it.

Asking Microsoft to support new technologies like IE9 in XP, is like asking car companies to provide state of the art power horseshoes for your horses. If you wanna use something old, like XP, be prepared to do things the old way as well. Horseriders don't have upgrades anymore, they still use the same old saddle, the same old horseshoes, the same old harness. Some of em even wear the same ol' spur boots. You don't see them complaining that people aren't providing new stuff to trick out their horse with. If they wanted new stuff, they'll start driving a car or a motorcycle.

Well, just like people still using XP. They demand that a 9 year old OS still gets support. In the world of technology, 9 years is like centuries. Drastic changes get made every year as technology progresses. There are weirdos still using Windows 98 right now. They are rare, but they refuse to get anything new because "it works for them" as well. They aren't expecting people to backport Windows Live Messenger or even IE7 to it. They aren't demanding people release support for shiny new USB devices to work in it. The people who are using Windows 98 still, accept their caveman-like situation and are not gonna give up the old way of life till their computer dies. When that happens, they might even stop using computers at this point ~_~. Some people are just that resistant to change and cannot handle progress. Living in the past, is what we call that.

The only difference from XP and 98, is that XP is still 'supported', but even that is beginning to dwindle. Come 2014, XP will be exactly like 98 in this regard, and people using it will be proven to be just as adamant as the people still using windows 98 today. Just like in this other thread I saw, someone was using 32-bit OS on a machine that was sold as a 64-bit ready machine. Couldn't even find official drivers for their 32-bit OS because 64-bit was all they released for. You see, it's already beginning, support for the old OS and architecture has already begun it's decline. If you wanna keep using XP cuz it "works for you", great, but someday it's not gonna "work for you" anymore and you'll have no choice but to upgrade or be left in the past where you get nothing more than you have now.

Asking Microsoft to support new technologies like IE9 in XP, is like asking car companies to provide state of the art power horseshoes for your horses. If you wanna use something old, like XP, be prepared to do things the old way as well. Horseriders don't have upgrades anymore, they still use the same old saddle, the same old horseshoes, the same old harness. Some of em even wear the same ol' spur boots. You don't see them complaining that people aren't providing new stuff to trick out their horse with. If they wanted new stuff, they'll start driving a car or a motorcycle.

Well, just like people still using XP. They demand that a 9 year old OS still gets support. In the world of technology, 9 years is like centuries. Drastic changes get made every year as technology progresses. There are weirdos still using Windows 98 right now. They are rare, but they refuse to get anything new because "it works for them" as well. They aren't expecting people to backport Windows Live Messenger or even IE7 to it. They aren't demanding people release support for shiny new USB devices to work in it. The people who are using Windows 98 still, accept their caveman-like situation and are not gonna give up the old way of life till their computer dies. When that happens, they might even stop using computers at this point ~_~. Some people are just that resistant to change and cannot handle progress. Living in the past, is what we call that.

The only difference from XP and 98, is that XP is still 'supported', but even that is beginning to dwindle. Come 2014, XP will be exactly like 98 in this regard, and people using it will be proven to be just as adamant as the people still using windows 98 today. Just like in this other thread I saw, someone was using 32-bit OS on a machine that was sold as a 64-bit ready machine. Couldn't even find official drivers for their 32-bit OS because 64-bit was all they released for. You see, it's already beginning, support for the old OS and architecture has already begun it's decline. If you wanna keep using XP cuz it "works for you", great, but someday it's not gonna "work for you" anymore and you'll have no choice but to upgrade or be left in the past where you get nothing more than you have now.

That's a dumb connection to use really. Technology on horses is always improving. I'm not sure if you're aware, but horse racing is kind of a big deal...

XP can no longer purchased. The Windows 7 userbase can only grow from here.

Why would they regret not supporting a crappy almost decade old operating system? I don't care what anyone says (since it's my opinion, of course :p) Windows Vista was so much better than Windows XP.

At first, I was kind of afraid, but I started to love it quickly :D

People just need to get over it, and get rid of that wreck of a user interface XP .-.

Agreed with the majority.

XP is too old to use on a modern PC.

And to the whiners sticking with XP, you DO know that Windows 7 has a "XP Mode", don'tcha? Use 7/IE 9 with XP Mode and stop complaining.

XP directly *on* the PC's hard drive .... nope, not gonna happen.